» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 748

0 members and 748 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    I just find him boring. He's like Wozniacki, all fighter, zero showman.
    I'd rather watch horrible sportsmen like Gonzo and Safin any day, or better yet, Santoro (who, given, was a fantastic sportsman), because they actually do interesting stuff. All the time. Nadal just gets the fuzzy yellow thing back over the net.
    lol, that's wrong

Wrong as in factually incorrect, or wrong as in morally decrepit ?

Wrong as in factually incorrect, or wrong as in morally decrepit ?
    Both. Firstly, Nadal is an exciting player to watch. Like all the greats, he has an impressive aura about him which you can only realize when you see him live. Secondly, Gonzo and Safin are not "horrible" either; they're just really competitive and temperamental.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Wait - so if i throw around and smash something in public, i get arrested and sent to anger management therapy - unless of course it's on a tennis court? The fact of the matter is that Gonzo and Safin are horrible role models because they can't control their anger. Lots of players get by without actually smashing (as in breaking it) their racquets. And Nadal may have an aura about him - but he still is nowhere near as interesting as the two racquet-smashing maniacs, and he doesn't pull off the "stoic guy" that well. And most of all - tennis doesn't seem effortless (at least to me, you are of course entitled to your own opinion) hen watching him, compared to Federer.
    It's exactly the same reason why i prefer Kuznetsova over the Williamses to boot.

Back on WW forehand and classic.

I have been trying to improve my forehand, I have used WW forehand for about 1 month, it wasn't hard to pick up. Problem is WW forehand is a lot more complex to play than classic forehand, it takes longer to get into the right form to hit a proper WW forehand, and where the ball hits the racket and how the loop is done will affect the topspin. When it is done right, the topspin is much better than classic forehand, but to do that it takes a split second longer than classic forehand and needs a lot more energy. When it is not done right, the topspin can be all over the place. It's perfectly fine for pros to hit baselines with WW forehand, they have the energy and have the time to prepare for the shots and the time to practice the shots (pretty much all of the men pros are doing WW forehand). But as a club player, playing mostly doubles, I find classic forehand simpler and faster to hit, a lot easier to control, on average you'll get better topspin results than WW forehand. I have now changed back to classic forehand which I find like a breeze.

Wait - so if i throw around and smash something in public, i get arrested and sent to anger management therapy - unless of course it's on a tennis court? The fact of the matter is that Gonzo and Safin are horrible role models because they can't control their anger.
    Well that's not strictly true is it. They're not breaking any laws by smashing the racket because they're not encroaching upon anyone else by doing so. If you want to smash a baseball bat against the wall in your back yard that's your prerogative. You certainly won't be arrested. On your principle are we going to call John McEnroe a "horrible role model" as well? Because I know plenty of players, amateurs and pros alike, who grew up admiring him. Anger and frustration on the tennis court sometimes need to be released. On the contrary, Gonzo and Safin ARE controlling their anger (by smashing the racket). It allows you to vent your frustration and move on to the next point. If you think about it, it's better to vent your anger between points, than playing a rash shot on the next one.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

the best player will have both a ww and classic forehand in his repetoire.