» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 496

0 members and 496 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Del Potro will become #1 very soon

When speaking about the 'Who's Who' on the ATP Top Shelf, we have a serious threat to the normal or should I say what has been accepted Rank & File of who should be on the Top Shelf.

Rafa Nadal & Novak Djokovic who were the number(s) 2 & 3 respectfully while the World fully expected at least Rafa had the clear opportunity to knock Roger from his perch (which he did) also saw the insurgence of Andy Murray & even Andy Roddick make a serious charge towards the 2nd half of 2008 adding additional pressure on Roger after the French & Wimbledon.

Dare someone say, "Thank God for Robin Soderling?"

So in 2009 we have what no one would or could have foreseen a beatdown of huge magnitude when Soderling beat Rafa at the French. This gave Roger the breathing room he so desperately needed to salvage 2009. That is until this other guy that nobody expected decided to jump into the mix, named Juan Del Potro, who is beginning to appear as the guy who could in fact get into the top 3 with impressive wins at the beginning of 2010.

Make no mistake about it, if Del Potro wins the Aussy Open and follows that with a French win, we'll have ourselves a serious shakeup of the Top Tier.

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    When speaking about the 'Who's Who' on the ATP Top Shelf, we have a serious threat to the normal or should I say what has been accepted Rank & File of who should be on the Top Shelf.

Rafa Nadal & Novak Djokovic who were the number(s) 2 & 3 respectfully while the World fully expected at least Rafa had the clear opportunity to knock Roger from his perch (which he did) also saw the insurgence of Andy Murray & even Andy Roddick make a serious charge towards the 2nd half of 2008 adding additional pressure on Roger after the French & Wimbledon.

Dare someone say, "Thank God for Robin Soderling?"

So in 2009 we have what no one would or could have foreseen a beatdown of huge magnitude when Soderling beat Rafa at the French. This gave Roger the breathing room he so desperately needed to salvage 2009. That is until this other guy that nobody expected decided to jump into the mix, named Juan Del Potro, who is beginning to appear as the guy who could in fact get into the top 3 with impressive wins at the beginning of 2010.

Make no mistake about it, if Del Potro wins the Aussy Open and follows that with a French win, we'll have ourselves a serious shakeup of the Top Tier.
    Ya know, I said stuff about Del Potro back in April and May. Everyone thought I was crazy. When he beat Nadal at the ATP 1000 tournament in Miami, I knew for sure he was a threat. I've said this before and will say it again.. as long as Nadal has to beat Del Potro in any given tournament including the French Open, he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that Rafa will not win another tournament with Juan as his opponent. Now Del Potro's biggest hurdle in my opinion will be the combination of Murray and Djokovic. They are just way too consistent. Another person who will give Del Potro a run for his money is Federer. I really can't see Del Potro beating the finesse' of Fed's shots when he's on.

Now Coach, how about that guy.. what's his name.. oh! NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO!

Soderling was serving amazingly against Del Potro the other day. I liked how the ball was still rising till it hit the back wall. I think any tall hard hitter has a good chance against Nadal nowadays.

I was surprised that Del Potro won the US Open, but if he wins in Australia next spring it wouldn't be a shock. He's definitely capable of beating the top guys.
    Last edited by clock-; 11-30-2009 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    I was surprised that Del Potro won the US Open, but if he wins in Australia next spring it wouldn't be a shock. He's definitely capable of beating the top guys.
    No doubt about that. These days are so much more interesting compared to the times when Roger and Rafael dominated. Sure Roger is still world number one and arguably the best of all time, but there's that doubt that maybe he won't win. However, his 22 semifinals in a row make it a sure bet to say he's going to be hard to beat. As far as Nadal.. he just needs the clay season to start back up. He'll be back.

He won't last for two reasons (in my opinion). First, he looks like Teen Wolf and has probably never been chased by the ladies. Now that he is a star and a hero in Argentina, he is going to be chased by the most unbelievably gorgeous women in the world. I don't know how he will be able to focus on that account. The discos in Buenes Aires will be calling his name at 2 AM. ( I may be wrong on this one, but the second one is pretty obvious.) He is too tall and lanky. His bones are thin and I just don't think his joints and connective tissue are going to be able to take the pounding for a long time. He really is a good player, but I think eventual injuries and the call of those beautiful Argentinian women (google them for proof!) will cut it short. Maybe if he plays on clay more, the injuries will be lessened. I think Johnathon Isner will have the same issue (injuries).

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    He won't last for two reasons (in my opinion). First, he looks like Teen Wolf and has probably never been chased by the ladies. Now that he is a star and a hero in Argentina, he is going to be chased by the most unbelievably gorgeous women in the world. I don't know how he will be able to focus on that account. The discos in Buenes Aires will be calling his name at 2 AM. ( I may be wrong on this one, but the second one is pretty obvious.) He is too tall and lanky. His bones are thin and I just don't think his joints and connective tissue are going to be able to take the pounding for a long time. He really is a good player, but I think eventual injuries and the call of those beautiful Argentinian women (google them for proof!) will cut it short. Maybe if he plays on clay more, the injuries will be lessened. I think Johnathon Isner will have the same issue (injuries).
    The only reason I started playing tennis is it seems like the right sport for tall lanky people, much better than bodybuilding at least -___-. But if he gets dragged away by improbably hot women I can't blame him. That's how I'd want my carrear to end.

Ok, so on the account of the ladies, i will agree with you. But the height? The lankiness?
    Everyone agrees that Nadal will be forced to stop early since he's nothing but a square (i.e a bundle of muscles) with legs, and has a (in professional terms) very average serve. Here, i am compelled to agree - just like Caroline Wozniacki, this man is grinding himself into physical oblivion.
    Del Potro, on the other hand, has a ridiculous forehand, tries to end rallies quickly, and has a monster serve when it's on (when it isn't on, it's just plain old boring good). And thereby minimizes the wear and tear. And anyhow on account of the lankiness - He's got the same amount of bulk as murray, who is only 7 centimeters shorter - so i have a hard time seeing that hampering him. The man undoubtedly has a great career ahead of him - Daddy-Long-Legs of tennis or not.
    In fact, i see Juan Martin as a model for the next generation of players, because sadly, any fool can crush a forehand shot (or a backhand, if you're one o' them weirdos, like me) and hit a clean winner - but it takes a champion to do that and have a crazy serve. The finesses in the groundstroke game simply play a smaller role than they used to, now that (no pun intended) overpowering power is easily attainable, and therefore, the serve is ever so more critical. Andy Roddick is a symptom of this. Andy isn't exactly fantastic at anything - except for that one-of-a-kind, nation-destroying, A-bomb of a serve. And yet, he's the world number 6, former world number 1.
    And - just to make the lot of you flame - i call for a return to wooden racquets

Hmm, ok so we have women as a possible downfall of greatness for our guy Juan and TK makes a point sadly [if] he's not disciplined but he does have a Team and they're not going to allow those types of elements distract from the Gold Ring when you're that close.

Party a little but not as a lifestyle, not when you've just won the USO over the best in the World. As for his Serve, JDP reminds me of Sampras right now. It's a big serve only because it's hard to read unlike A-Rod, who's serve may be big but for most of the guys on the Tour, they know Andy's direction because he doesn't disguise his serve as well as he did in the beginning of his career.

One member mentioned Robin Soderling and I'm starting to think the only thing stopping Robin from breaking through to a consistent Top 5, is his belief in is game. Well it appears as though he now knows Rafa can't handle his game and if you cont. to beat Rafa Nadal, you have serious game.

Within the next 6 month leading up & beyond the Aussy Open, I predict the dust will settle on
    Roger Federer as #1
    Juan Del Potro as #2
    Rafa Nadal as #3
    Novak Djokovic as #4
    Andy Murray as #5

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Hmm, ok so we have women as a possible downfall of greatness for our guy Juan and TK makes a point sadly [if] he's not disciplined but he does have a Team and they're not going to allow those types of elements distract from the Gold Ring when you're that close.

Party a little but not as a lifestyle, not when you've just won the USO over the best in the World. As for his Serve, JDP reminds me of Sampras right now. It's a big serve only because it's hard to read unlike A-Rod, who's serve may be big but for most of the guys on the Tour, they know Andy's direction because he doesn't disguise his serve as well as he did in the beginning of his career.

One member mentioned Robin Soderling and I'm starting to think the only thing stopping Robin from breaking through to a consistent Top 5, is his belief in is game. Well it appears as though he now knows Rafa can't handle his game and if you cont. to beat Rafa Nadal, you have serious game.

Within the next 6 month leading up & beyond the Aussy Open, I predict the dust will settle on
    Roger Federer as #1
    Juan Del Potro as #2
    Rafa Nadal as #3
    Novak Djokovic as #4
    Andy Murray as #5

I agree on the ranking. We shall see though. I have seen a lot of great Argentine players fall by the wayside due to partying and women. Remember Alberto Mancini? A beast of a player for a year and then boom. You could find him at the night clubs in Buenes Aires at 4 am nearly every night. Hernan Gumy, can't remember the guy's name that won the French a few years ago......Of course, if I were gonna have to fall from grace, it would be nice to do it surrounded by Argentinian beauties. Magnus.......If you look at how Del Potro is built, he is very, very skinny. Those big, thin guys in the NBA just don't last unless they put some muscle on. I really think it will take a toll on his body. I would think that Nadal would last longer as he has a build that can take a beating like an NFL fullback. However, time will tell. He may be around for many years to come and keep away from the beauties down there, but if I lived down there, I would not know what to do. Heck Magnus, if I were in your country of Sweden!!!!!!!!!! Whew at the hotties over there!!!!!!!!

I agree on the ranking. We shall see though. I have seen a lot of great Argentine players fall by the wayside due to partying and women. Remember Alberto Mancini? A beast of a player for a year and then boom. You could find him at the night clubs in Buenes Aires at 4 am nearly every night. Hernan Gumy, can't remember the guy's name that won the French a few years ago......Of course, if I were gonna have to fall from grace, it would be nice to do it surrounded by Argentinian beauties. Magnus.......If you look at how Del Potro is built, he is very, very skinny. Those big, thin guys in the NBA just don't last unless they put some muscle on. I really think it will take a toll on his body. I would think that Nadal would last longer as he has a build that can take a beating like an NFL fullback. However, time will tell. He may be around for many years to come and keep away from the beauties down there, but if I lived down there, I would not know what to do. Heck Magnus, if I were in your country of Sweden!!!!!!!!!! Whew at the hotties over there!!!!!!!!
    Del Potro to me seems like a respectable, hard-working, quietly confident kind of guy.. not a shallow, miss guided one-hit-wonder. I'm not taking anything away from Argentinian women.. it's just that there's so much more to life than sex for anyone but especially a young aspiring athlete. In response to how injury prone he may or may not be due to his size, just look at Ivo Karlovic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Del Potro to me seems like a respectable, hard-working, quietly confident kind of guy.. not a shallow, miss guided one-hit-wonder. I'm not taking anything away from Argentinian women.. it's just that there's so much more to life than sex for anyone but especially a young aspiring athlete. In response to how injury prone he may or may not be due to his size, just look at Ivo Karlovic.
    Neither have been around long enough to say. Karlovic is not worthy of a number one ranking either. You will see what I mean, give it some time. His and Isner's knees will start giving them trouble as will their feet and ankles. The extreme twisting and turning will take a toll. As for the ladies aspect, we shall see. LT, it might boggle your mind if you took a trip down there. I lived in Los Angeles for a bit and I can rightfully say that I have never seen such beauties as I saw when I was down there. It will be inevitable that he will be chased now. I thought Tiger Woods was an outstanding guy. Wow, was I wrong. What a bum. The reason most of these phenomenal players who come along and then become mediocre (Marat Safin, Ivanisevic, Mancini, etc.) is because of what they are getting into during their down time. We shall see how he handles his new found fame. He hasn't had time to go home and bask in the glory. It's offseason time. He is about to go home and spend some time hanging out and having fun. Let's see what the next year brings..........

Neither have been around long enough to say. Karlovic is not worthy of a number one ranking either. You will see what I mean, give it some time. His and Isner's knees will start giving them trouble as will their feet and ankles. The extreme twisting and turning will take a toll. As for the ladies aspect, we shall see. LT, it might boggle your mind if you took a trip down there. I lived in Los Angeles for a bit and I can rightfully say that I have never seen such beauties as I saw when I was down there. It will be inevitable that he will be chased now. I thought Tiger Woods was an outstanding guy. Wow, was I wrong. What a bum. The reason most of these phenomenal players who come along and then become mediocre (Marat Safin, Ivanisevic, Mancini, etc.) is because of what they are getting into during their down time. We shall see how he handles his new found fame. He hasn't had time to go home and bask in the glory. It's offseason time. He is about to go home and spend some time hanging out and having fun. Let's see what the next year brings..........
    Okay, you have a point by mentioning Tiger. But I hope Del Potro sticks around in the top 5 or 10 .. and I really do think he will; however only time will tell. Isn't beauty in the eye of the beer holder?.. but seriously in the eye of the beholder?

My memory fails me at the moment but not too long ago when Marat was on top of his game, the Media made certain we all got to see these 3 gorgeous blondes sitting in Marat's box. Ok that was cool to see but not to long from there, Marat's climb started spiraling downward instead of upward like is should have.

Therefore, TK just could be right about his premise however I'm still betting on Del Potro's Team to keep him focused on the prize ahead. You work too hard & come to close to allow distractions of that nature to ruin a career.

And we are certainly calling it a career not just a few guys getting together having fun. No TK, Del Potro is for real and his body will fill out just like Andy Murray's did. Roger has all he can handle in Juan right now so unless Roger presses down even more, watches tape of their latest matches (win or lose) he's not going to beat JDP as easily anymore, plain & simple.

Coach

So you really think Marat couldn't control his hormones to the point that he lost concentration? i just find that hard to believe.. it takes so many years upon years of practice and dedication.. and the sheer love for the game should supersede any skin-deep distractions.

People, how about the resurgence of Nikolay Davydenko!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Okay, you have a point by mentioning Tiger. But I hope Del Potro sticks around in the top 5 or 10 .. and I really do think he will; however only time will tell. Isn't beauty in the eye of the beer holder?.. but seriously in the eye of the beholder?
    Yes, but these girls are really all ridiculous and always are happy and smiling. Really. Lots of European and Latin mixed beauties. Not quite as dark and Portuguese/Spanish looking as the Brazilians who are very pretty too. Yeah, beer makes the girls who are 9's on a 10 scale look like 11's and there are quite a few 10's down there with no alcohol involved. You go to the nice clubs down there and it is literally like being at the Playboy Mansion. If Del Potro stays in the top 5 for a few years, I will be proud of him. All the other Argentinians disappear after a couple of years of playing well, but I don't blame them. Look at Diego Maradona. Only name in soccer worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Pele. He looks like he is 100 years old from the partying he has done. Heck, I am about to talk myself into a plane ticket to Argentina..............