» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 518

0 members and 518 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Players with an aura.

So who had an aura - that difficult to define "something" that made a player stand out from the rest?

Ivan Lendl was one - he dominated tennis in the 80s and was regarded as a machine in some quarters - and one that was incredibly tough to beat.

Borg was another - his coolness and tendency to say very little gave him something extra.

Federer is another - during his period of absolute and unchallenged domination from 2004 say to 2006/07 his results were such that I think many lesser players simply didn't believe they could win - they were beaten before they took to the court.

Any other nominations?

Quote Originally Posted by ilendl View Post
    So who had an aura - that difficult to define "something" that made a player stand out from the rest?

Ivan Lendl was one - he dominated tennis in the 80s and was regarded as a machine in some quarters - and one that was incredibly tough to beat.

Borg was another - his coolness and tendency to say very little gave him something extra.

Federer is another - during his period of absolute and unchallenged domination from 2004 say to 2006/07 his results were such that I think many lesser players simply didn't believe they could win - they were beaten before they took to the court.

Any other nominations?
    Good topic. Of course we can't forget Sampras early in the summer season. I'd have to agree that the aura of Federer is gone for now but maybe not for somebody ranked 25th-ish or 'worse'.

Becker of 1989 and Jim Courier in 1991 and 1992. Both were pretty unstoppable in those years. Thomas Muster on clay in 1995 and 1996. No one wanted to go near him on clay for those two years.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Becker of 1989 and Jim Courier in 1991 and 1992. Both were pretty unstoppable in those years. Thomas Muster on clay in 1995 and 1996. No one wanted to go near him on clay for those two years.
    Why do you think Courier peaked so early? And who do you think is the best clay court player of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Why do you think Courier peaked so early? And who do you think is the best clay court player of all time?
    Courier worked so hard from 1990 to 1993, it burned him out. I mean he really busted his hump and did it without steroids. He was done by 1994 or 1995 even though he still played well and was in the mix with Agassi, Sampras, etc. My vote for best claycourter of all time is Bjorn Borg followed by Thomas Muster and then Rafa. Muster's competition was a heck of a lot better in my opinion. If he lost in the French, it was usually to the winner. The only time he didn't lose to the eventual champion was when he lost to Sampras who actually made it to the semis that year. Not bad for a guy whose knee was destroyed by a drunk driver the night before he was to play the final against Lendl at the Lipton Players Championships. He made one heck of a comeback. No telling how good he would have been had that not happened. That happened two years after he turned pro (his knee was crushed in 1989). He made it to no. 1 in the world and won the French Open and every claycourt tournament out there after the accident. 6 straight French Open titles says it all for Borg.