» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 547

0 members and 547 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: seat belt laws

seat belt laws

Recently I've become annoyed by this law. No, I didn't get a ticket, but since I've moved to Texas from Pennsylvania, I looked into some of Texas' state laws. Texas is one of the states that views non-seat belt use as a primary offense meaning if you are seen not wearing one and operating a vehicle, you can be pulled over and fined. In Pennsylvania, one cannot be pulled over for that reason alone.. and the fine is 5% of what it is in Texas to boot! Regardless, the seat belt law is unconstitutional as a whole. I can ride a motorcycle which is ten times more dangerous with or without a helmet than driving a car without a seat belt. Moreover, mandating the well-being of an adult in any situation is tyranny.

Eh, Im actually very shocked that there is no law against not wearing a seat belt.
    All parts of Australia have the law to wear seat belts, even if you're riding a bicycle.. a bicycle.
    I think it varies depending on the population of the area and the prior history of the recorded events in the matter involved. If Texas has a large death toll due to car crashes and seat belts not being worn, then i think the law itself is quite a reasonable one.
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur

The government is always trying to protect idiots from themselves. Consider it a trade off for being able to walk into a hardware store and buy a handgun with no paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    Eh, Im actually very shocked that there is no law against not wearing a seat belt.
    All parts of Australia have the law to wear seat belts, even if you're riding a bicycle.. a bicycle.
    I think it varies depending on the population of the area and the prior history of the recorded events in the matter involved. If Texas has a large death toll due to car crashes and seat belts not being worn, then i think the law itself is quite a reasonable one.
    Robyna, where the heck have you been?

Now why do you think the government should have the authority to tell us how or how not to care for ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    The government is always trying to protect idiots from themselves. Consider it a trade off for being able to walk into a hardware store and buy a handgun with no paperwork.
    Not a good deal in that case.

Oh, I've been very busy with training and exc. I know I haven't been on for a while, so hi!

Well, I see your point. The goverment though, MUST have a certain amount of control over our lives. It is part of there job. Think about what might happen if we didn't have a goverment.. no laws.. goodness knows what would happen. We'd have crack heads and thiefs all over the place. And if they let drunken drivers drive around with at a seat belt, bless, who knows how many people would die. One thing I agree with you on though, is that the goverment cannot exceed the limit in which to control the way in which we care for ouselves- cause that is one of our rights.
    -Tupac Shakur

Oh, I've been very busy with training and exc. I know I haven't been on for a while, so hi!
    Hi It can't be that hard to visit the site for a minute

[QUOTE=One thing I agree with you on though, is that the goverment cannot exceed the limit in which to control the way in which we care for ouselves- cause that is one of our rights.[/QUOTE]

So you do agree with me as far as individual safety. I'm very curious at what point people said "let's tell fannie may and freddie mac what's good for their health and then fine them if they don't listen".

Yes, true that is, oh well (;

I do agree with you on that point, yes. But I can see the beneficial point of the choice made by the goverment, and the reasonibility of it. As far as indivual safety- yes, the goverment shouldn't be able to do that. But as a communities safety- i think, no, what the goverment is doing is infact right. because come to think of it, what makes a community? indivuals. so therefore the goverment are actually attacking the indivual in order to keep the community a safe and livable area. though EVERY individual puts themselves first, before others of their community [and I mean EVERYONE] which is where i think what you say is right..
    -Tupac Shakur

Yes, true that is, oh well (;

I do agree with you on that point, yes. But I can see the beneficial point of the choice made by the goverment, and the reasonibility of it. As far as indivual safety- yes, the goverment shouldn't be able to do that. But as a communities safety- i think, no, what the goverment is doing is infact right. because come to think of it, what makes a community? indivuals. so therefore the goverment are actually attacking the indivual in order to keep the community a safe and livable area. though EVERY individual puts themselves first, before others of their community [and I mean EVERYONE] which is where i think what you say is right..
    Robyna, the government is a group of individuals telling another group of individuals what to do with their own safety. That's just plain wrong. I don't care what their intentions are. It's just against everything the Constitution or a free country is about. Benjamin Franklin said "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety".

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Robyna, the government is a group of individuals telling another group of individuals what to do with their own safety. That's just plain wrong. I don't care what their intentions are. It's just against everything the Constitution or a free country is about. Benjamin Franklin said "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety".
    But then what would the consequences be? There would be so many errors and problems if we DID NOT have laws. They are a neccesity. We have laws for abuse to another person, but what if we didn't? God knows we'd all be killing each other! And it's the same with the seat belt law, even if it is against the constitution of a free country, it's what we as humans need to stay alive, to not kill one another.. if we were gentle, harmless creatures then there would be NO NEED for laws, but sadly idiots do exist.
    -Tupac Shakur

But then what would the consequences be? There would be so many errors and problems if we DID NOT have laws. They are a neccesity. We have laws for abuse to another person, but what if we didn't? God knows we'd all be killing each other! And it's the same with the seat belt law, even if it is against the constitution of a free country, it's what we as humans need to stay alive, to not kill one another.. if we were gentle, harmless creatures then there would be NO NEED for laws, but sadly idiots do exist.
    Robyna, I'm not saying government and laws are a bad thing... just the seat belt law in particular. There are many things that can kill and injure us.. should the government make laws for all of it? The number one killer in America is heart disease. Maybe the government should mandate everyone have an hour of exercise every day to prevent heart disease.

But you said 'The government is a group of individuals telling another group of individuals what to do with their own safety. That's just plain wrong. I don't care what their intentions are'.

And no, they probably can't stop heart disease, it's a natural cause of death.
    And well, I think a lot of people would prefer to die then do exercise.. tragically.
    -Tupac Shakur

And no, they probably can't stop heart disease, it's a natural cause of death.
    And well, I think a lot of people would prefer to die then do exercise.. tragically.
    I'm was talking about premature deaths due to heart disease which is the case 99% of the time.

LOL

I don't like the government regulating trivial stuff such as this. Like recently in MI a smoking ban was passed that will prevent people from smoking in private businesses. Laws restricting things "for your own good" especially in something like a private business are absolutely idiotic. I'm amazed it got past the state legislature considering it's past libertarian tenancies. But I don't care enough to raise a stink about it.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    I don't like the government regulating trivial stuff such as this. Like recently in MI a smoking ban was passed that will prevent people from smoking in private businesses. Laws restricting things "for your own good" especially in something like a private business are absolutely idiotic. I'm amazed it got past the state legislature considering it's past libertarian tenancies. But I don't care enough to raise a stink about it.
    Exactly like that. I don't smoke and think it's a bad choice.. but it should be completely up to the individual if they want smoke in their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    I'm was talking about premature deaths due to heart disease which is the case 99% of the time.

LOL
    oh okay.. fair enough then.

oh, and tbqh i think any laws which contribute to making the society in Australia a better place are terrific as the government have been rather slack. don't know what its like where you guys live but over here anything [< thats meant to be positive] the government does is just a small reassurance that we're not going to die. people get away with murder and starving their children to death in our country cause our judges are wonderfully educated..
    Last edited by Robyna; 12-18-2009 at 04:54 AM.
    -Tupac Shakur