» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 530

0 members and 530 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: seat belt laws

Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    Okay, I do understand where you are coming from.
    But this is the thing: You say people understand and accept the risk. But to my argument I have to ask, do they really? I mean when I went to Spain, we went to a city where to not where a seatbelt is accepted by the Goverment, though this was a long time ago so I'm not sure if this law is still in place. And getting into a car with people who didn't wear their seatbelts, and didn't even seem to care about it, was strange, so I asked 'What if something happens, shouldn't you wear your seatbelt, just incase?'. And they replied like this: 'My seatbelt? No, Don't worry, we won't be involved in a car crash or anything. Theres no risk at all.. not in Spain'. Now that to me is stupid, but sadly, how I believe a majority of people who don't wear seatbelts see the case. They do not understand or accept the risks of their actions, and furthermore, they do not even care! Now, with people looking at it from the perspective of logic, I understand why the goverment would have such a law. Because, when people who think like that are involved in car crashes, their relatives, or themselves if they have enough luck to survive, they don't put the responsibility on themselves. They put it on someone else. I'm saying this ofcourse from the view that they are lucky enough to survive. They don't understand it was their fault, that they didn't have their seatbelt on, and that it was their choice. And even more sadly, there are a lot of people who are like that. You have the intelligence to understand and accept the risks, which makes it a reasonable action, but for a lot of people I know the case is different. And refering to the example I stated above, if people believe their is no risk of anything happening to them then they must at the least act in some way accordingly, to what they have said.
    And you know what Robyna, you probably answered the reason why governments decide to infringe on the welfare of its citizens - that is because the government knows atleast half of the population is not going to think before doing things. While that is great for them, it's not so great for the rest of us. Anyhow, I just want to find a country where freedom is a prized possession and practiced habitually. Don't get me wrong, I still think the US is a splendid place to live.. it's just that we've stepped away from what is truly freedom in the name of safety for idiots among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    And you know what Robyna, you probably answered the reason why governments decide to infringe on the welfare of its citizens - that is because the government knows atleast half of the population is not going to think before doing things. While that is great for them, it's not so great for the rest of us. Anyhow, I just want to find a country where freedom is a prized possession and practiced habitually. Don't get me wrong, I still think the US is a splendid place to live.. it's just that we've stepped away from what is truly freedom in the name of safety for idiots among other things.
    It'd probably be over half, disturbingly. I'm just grateful that there not doing anything drastic to affect us. I don't really mind the whole seatbelt thing, I guess, as long as I have the right to step out of my house and live my life as I please.

But, you know what? I consider myself lucky when I think about areas like Afghanistan, Africa and other corrupt countries. They don't even know what a seatbelt is, let alone a car. And, I think we're still lucky to be living in places like Australia and America, at least out government does have concerns for our safety.
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur