» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 531

0 members and 531 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Del Potro's Forehand

I've been trying to develop a forehand just like Del Potro's(low, deep, some topspin) but whenever I try i always end up with the opposite of what I'm trying to do(high, short, but with some topspin). Can anyone help me on how to improve my forehand? Thanks!

Post a vid.
    Maybe you emphasis waaaay too much topspin and not enough forward contact, by brushing up on the ball.
    Most of the pros hit tons of topspin, but their swingpaths aren't too steep and the racket at contact is just barely off vertical, meaning they hit the ball hard and fast, with not nearly as much brushing motion as we think they do.
    Proven with sub 50 tensions of Nadal and Federer. Fed, using a sub 90 racket, would constantly mishit if he tried to "brush up the backside of the ball".
    Try hitting with a 95 or smaller racket to force more pace and less spin into your game.

I have a Babolat Pure storm Limited which is 95 so yeaa.. i can't post a vid but ill study the pros swingpaths thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DelPo13 View Post
    I've been trying to develop a forehand just like Del Potro's(low, deep, some topspin) but whenever I try i always end up with the opposite of what I'm trying to do(high, short, but with some topspin). Can anyone help me on how to improve my forehand? Thanks!
    That's a great forehand to have.. if you're a somewhat taller person. He doesn't really need to create the same top spin somebody like Lleyton Hewitt does. If you're more of an average sized person, try to more like Fernando Gonzalez.

ooh Gonzalez's forehand is pretty good too. I'm only thirteen and training for varsity next year so yea. I'm like around 5"6.. im pretty average sized i guess. I'll take a look at Gonzalez's forehand.(By the way anyone know about Ernests Gulbis? I like his forehand as well, it's nice, deep, low, sort of flat)

ooh Gonzalez's forehand is pretty good too. I'm only thirteen and training for varsity next year so yea. I'm like around 5"6.. im pretty average sized i guess. I'll take a look at Gonzalez's forehand.(By the way anyone know about Ernests Gulbis? I like his forehand as well, it's nice, deep, low, sort of flat)
    Think I saw one of his matches a little while back but can't remember his forehand. Honestly, there are so many great forehands in particular on the men's side.

Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks for the help guys!
    NP, I enjoy talking anything tennis.

Funny ding......
    If I concentrate and rally OK, I can hit the Gonzalez forehand with late prep, two handed takeback, and loopy stroke....lots of topspin and good pace, placement and swing.
    BUT.... when I PLAY matches, it goes to heck, and I can only hit McEnroe's stunted straight takeback forehand, but it goes great....DTL or CC, hard with some topspin, but very early '80's style.
    And I use full SW almost W, and can hit flat forehands easily, but not hard topspinners.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    Funny ding......
    If I concentrate and rally OK, I can hit the Gonzalez forehand with late prep, two handed takeback, and loopy stroke....lots of topspin and good pace, placement and swing.
    BUT.... when I PLAY matches, it goes to heck, and I can only hit McEnroe's stunted straight takeback forehand, but it goes great....DTL or CC, hard with some topspin, but very early '80's style.
    And I use full SW almost W, and can hit flat forehands easily, but not hard topspinners.
    Hey, whatever works. Western grip flat shots.. strange

Not sure if "strange" is the right word.
    I come from a '70's background, where efficientcy is placed above pure topspin, so getting a fast moving ball with less effort is a good thing.
    As can most top pros, I can slice with my regular topspin forehand grip. Only on wide forehands, openstanced, but I can.
    One shot I've been thinking of is the forehand approach with sidespin, something I faced a lot back 30 odd years ago. The ball stays low, and angles away from the opposition heading wide of the sidelines.
    All with a strong SW grip.

Some people hit naturally flat and some hit with heavy topspin loop. Personally I hit my forehand almost identically to Nadal except with more depth into the court and I know that if I tried to hit like Delpo it just wouldn't work (mainly because I have a western grip).

The thing is if you can do either technique really well then there is no need to change; both are just as effective if executed well. However you should bear in mind what kind of player you are and what kind of physique you have.

With a Delpo stroke, points are likely to be quite short; you're more likely to hit winners but also more unforced errors. You need greater core and chest strength so that you can power through the ball and direct it accurately and low. It is easier to hit such a stroke with an eastern or semi-western forehand grip.

With a heavy topspin stroke like Nadal, points are generally going to last longer as greater net clearance and the topsin loop will keep it in court more often than not. The emphasis of your game will be forcing your opponent out of the court or into an error. For this kind of game, you need to be fast, physically fit with good wrist, arm and shoulder strength, so that you can whip the racket up the back of the ball. this kind of stroke is easier with a semi-western or full western grip but it can be done with an eastern grip as well.

What I haven't mentioned is that you won't necessarily be able to execute either of these strokes really well without the right swing path and balance through the stroke and that comes from practice. I have seen so many people who try to copy Nadal's stroke just by waving the racket above their head and sending the ball 20 feet over the net with no pace or penetration at all. Of course, there is so much more to his shot than that.

Hope this helped

You might want to check these out:

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/tenn...ith-a-purpose/

and

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/juan...-motion-video/

and

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/pro-stroke-library/
    Last edited by AlexLogan; 12-23-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: adding an extra bit

Good stuff, you wrote, Alex.
    You nailed it on the head.
    I like shorter points, employ SW forehand, but hit it very flat with little topspin. Volley is the best part of my game, so prolonging points would force me to hit multiple groundstrokes, the worst part of my game.
    And that's why I'd rather pound my first serves full speed and at the line intersects, rather than use higher percentage spin serves for the first.
    Shorter points, you gotta hit each shot BETTER!