» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 544

0 members and 544 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Becoming a pro

Becoming a pro

I am 17 and I love tennis. I've played since i was 9 but only started playing seriously in the last year or so. In that time i went from being an average player who plays for leisure to having probably one of the best forehands at my club, good all-round groundies and the biggest serve in my league. I've made huge progress in less than a year. I'm in good shape, I have natural talent and learn very quickly but is it too late to think about going pro??
    Last edited by AlexLogan; 12-23-2009 at 04:18 PM.

I too, aspire to become a pro. I think if your really good, maybe you could go through college tennis, and make it to pro level. Or who knows, maybe you can take it directly.
    The person who actually was a pro on this forum is Tennisking1, and he turned pro @ 20, so he'd be a better source though.

I started when I was 12, and I'm 13 now, but my development was hampered by bad coaching. (Playing the clock coaches)

Good luck!

What's your definition of "pro"?
    Making a living by only playing tennis? Tough.
    Making enough to cover entry fees and EQ? Not too bad.
    Making tons of $$$? Not a chance.
    I started tennis at 24. By 28, I made a little money in two ProQ's, got equipement and clothing, travel expenses to California tournaments, but never a salary. Is that pro?
    Got to play and lose to a couple guys who following year, were ranked top 50 Men's pro.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    What's your definition of "pro"?
    Making a living by only playing tennis? Tough.
    Making enough to cover entry fees and EQ? Not too bad.
    Making tons of $$$? Not a chance.
    I started tennis at 24. By 28, I made a little money in two ProQ's, got equipement and clothing, travel expenses to California tournaments, but never a salary. Is that pro?
    Got to play and lose to a couple guys who following year, were ranked top 50 Men's pro.
    It's more just something you can add to your resume'.

Play tennis to enjoy it. The only way to tell where you stand in tennis is to play tournaments. Professional tennis is not easy in any way. I recommend shooting for college. The guys who make it to the top in tennis are a special group. It was pretty obvious that they were going to be great by 12 to 14 years old. Their games were developed and most of them held top 50 ITF rankings by the time they were 15 years old. Be realistic about your dreams and realize that even if you aren't a pro, you will get plenty of playtime and solid tennis in if you go to college on a tennis scholarship. Not a bad alternative......

Alex.
    By your age, you would need something very special to make some money, or a lot of luck.
    Special meaning some superior gift, be it biggest serve, fastest mover, unreal hand eye, or something that can overcome any weakness's that a 6.0 player can uncover.
    Notice MelanieOudin doesn't have ANY of those traits. Instead, she has ChrisEverts mental toughness!
    Most of the top Div1's currently playing have no chance to crack the top 200, as they seem to have gotten there purely by coaching, training, and repetition.
    Notice the lack of US players in the top 200!