» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 513

0 members and 513 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Talking of Del Potro, is it just me that thinks he is overrated. He is a great player, don't get me wrong, but the way the pundits on TV rave about him I think is over the top. In the end of tour finals in London, apart from winning a three setter against Federer, he lost to Murray, narrowly defeated Soderling and then lost to Davidenko. That doesn't live up to the hype as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by mal-j View Post
    Talking of Del Potro, is it just me that thinks he is overrated. He is a great player, don't get me wrong, but the way the pundits on TV rave about him I think is over the top. In the end of tour finals in London, apart from winning a three setter against Federer, he lost to Murray, narrowly defeated Soderling and then lost to Davidenko. That doesn't live up to the hype as far as I am concerned.
    i think a lot of people are now accepting him as a possibility to being the next Federer. he has a long way to go, but i wouldn't be surprised if he collected a half dozen or so Opens.

and one other thing.. there is no doubt Murray will be tough to get passed as well as Djokovic. but as for Nadal.. i just can't see him taking another match from Del Potro.

The beauty of the slams is that there's no guarantee he would have to beat Del Po to win, but I think Nadal will do better now. Losing to Del Potro badly twice after coming back from two months off doesn't equate to being unable to beat him in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    The beauty of the slams is that there's no guarantee he would have to beat Del Po to win, but I think Nadal will do better now. Losing to Del Potro badly twice after coming back from two months off doesn't equate to being unable to beat him in my opinion.
    Nadal's a fighter and he'll be back there's no doubting that. the only problem is Del Potro beat Nadal prior to his two month break. Nadal still leads the head-to-head, but the last three have been all Del Po'. Many of us are starting to believe Juan Martin may be the ultimate nemesis to Rafa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Nadal's a fighter and he'll be back there's no doubting that. the only problem is Del Potro beat Nadal prior to his two month break. Nadal still leads the head-to-head, but the last three have been all Del Po'. Many of us are starting to believe Juan Martin may be the ultimate nemesis to Rafa.
    There's a reason for that, too. The man is ridiculously huge. I mean, Nadal's ferocious topspin has no effect whatsoever on him. It actually delivers the ball right into his wheelhouse. And Del Potro is one of the few guys on the tour who can actually hit straight winners against Nadal no matter where on the court he is. He really is Nadal's nemesis, because all of Nadal's weapons are somewhat ineffective against him!

At Doha this week, Nadal looked really impressive. His topspin is back and he was able to trouble Davydenko who has possibly the most efficient groundies in the business. Rafa is also hitting with a lot more depth and power. He beat Soderling just over a week ago. I don't think soderling's gonna cause Rafa much trouble this year. Delpo will be his toughest adversary but I don't think Rafa's gonna get steam-rolled again like at the US open.

He looks a complete player right now, with a dangerous serve, great movement, big groundstrokes, good returns, rock-solid temperament, and ability to charge the net and volley well.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

I think, now that we're talking about dangerous adversaries, that Davydenko has a real shot at a top 4 placing. The fact that he takes the ball so early makes the heavy topspin hitters greatest advantage obsolete, and he has great court sense. He is definitely one of the most impressive players in the world right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    I think, now that we're talking about dangerous adversaries, that Davydenko has a real shot at a top 4 placing. The fact that he takes the ball so early makes the heavy topspin hitters greatest advantage obsolete, and he has great court sense. He is definitely one of the most impressive players in the world right now.
    He's the best player in the world right now
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

6 days till the Open!

Quote Originally Posted by mal-j View Post
    Doesn't live up to the hype?? He won the US open for Pete's sake!! I admit not the prettiest player to watch nor the most complete but his heavy powerful shots can batter most of the top players. The only person with more power is Gonzo

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Doesn't live up to the hype?? He won the US open for Pete's sake!! I admit not the prettiest player to watch nor the most complete but his heavy powerful shots can batter most of the top players. The only person with more power is Gonzo
    +1

Juan Martin has done something Andy Murray hasn't.. and he's a bit younger.

Not to mention that just getting to the finals of the year-end event is pretty friggin impressive on it's own...

I think it's probably time to look at this thread agin. Does anyone know anything more about Rafa's knee injury? How bad is it? Should Rafans be worried?

Most importantly, is he going to be able to return to top form any time soon? I noticed that Rafa has lost the penetration on his groundstrokes that he had improved at Doha.

I am glad that Nadal was sensible enough to pull out rather than carry on as he did last year, causing unnecessary pain and injury.

I think it's probably time to look at this thread agin. Does anyone know anything more about Rafa's knee injury? How bad is it? Should Rafans be worried?

Most importantly, is he going to be able to return to top form any time soon? I noticed that Rafa has lost the penetration on his groundstrokes that he had improved at Doha.

I am glad that Nadal was sensible enough to pull out rather than carry on as he did last year, causing unnecessary pain and injury.
    i can tell you from experience, a knee injury can take a year to heal completely. i think Nadal should either stop playing tennis till late 2010 or he should change his style temporarily. sure he would drop in the ranks - probably out of the top 10, but he would gain so much down the road. his game would be more versatile. he would be able to recover completely if he played more of a serve n volley/ cat and mouse game.