» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 517

0 members and 517 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

What's the most effective shot of all time?

Is it the Federer forehand, the Gonzalez forehand, the Sampras slam dunk, the Gasquet backhand, the Tsonga drop volley, the Nadal forehand, the Graf backhand slice, the Agassi return, the Karlovic serve, the Roddick serve, the Edberg volley, the Sampras serve or something else?
    Last edited by AlexLogan; 01-23-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

From what I have heard from a number of former top 10 tour players (I had the pleasure of traveling with the Nuveen Masters tour back in 1998 as a training and warm-up partner for 4 venues) it was the Ivan Lendl forehand. Everyone talks about big forehands of today, but Wilander, Jimmy Arias, and a few others swear it was the Lendl forehand. In the mid 80's (arguably tennis' greatest years) he knocked people off the court with it. It was very consistent and extremely hard hit.

Some would say it's Rusedski's serve, Tanner's serve, even Goran's serve, but I really think the most effective shot ever was..... ElenaDemetiava's second serve. Nobody could put themselves in a worst position after serving than Elena's, and she could end the point quicker than it began with her multiple double faults.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    Some would say it's Rusedski's serve, Tanner's serve, even Goran's serve, but I really think the most effective shot ever was..... ElenaDemetiava's second serve. Nobody could put themselves in a worst position after serving than Elena's, and she could end the point quicker than it began with her multiple double faults.
    Ha Ha Ha Ha! She really relied on it to lose the point in numerous matches! It helped her to many a second place finish!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Is it the Federer forehand, the Gonzalez forehand, the Gasquet backhand, the Tsonga drop volley, the Nadal forehand, the Graf backhand slice, the Agassi return, the Karlovic serve, the Roddick serve, the Edberg volley, the Sampras second serve or something else?
    how about Nikolay Davydenko's angle shots at the moment.. he really has stepped it up. ok, ok, of all time i'll choose Ivo Karlovic's serve. imagine if Agassi had the kind of serve. he would be world number one right now and probably 10 years from now when he would be 49 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    how about Nikolay Davydenko's angle shots at the moment.. he really has stepped it up. ok, ok, of all time i'll choose Ivo Karlovic's serve. imagine if Agassi had the kind of serve. he would be world number one right now and probably 10 years from now when he would be 49 years old!
    Davydenko's groundies are handy but saying that they are the best shots of all time just don't sound right. As for Agassi with a Karlovic serve, yes that would be very difficult to beat but Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or any top player with a Karlovic serve would be just as good.

Karlovic would be undoubtedly the best player in the world bar none if he could move well, had a forehand, had a backhand, could volley, could think, and could return serve. Apart from those minor omissions from his game he is one of the all-time greats!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Davydenko's groundies are handy but saying that they are the best shots of all time just don't sound right. As for Agassi with a Karlovic serve, yes that would be very difficult to beat but Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or any top player with a Karlovic serve would be just as good.

Karlovic would be undoubtedly the best player in the world bar none if he could move well, had a forehand, had a backhand, could volley, could think, and could return serve. Apart from those minor omissions from his game he is one of the all-time greats!
    lol, that's just wrong

What about McEnroe's volleys?

Do you think they are better than Rafter's?

At the net yes.

For me the best game will be at the net and Edberg, Rafter or Sampras were the masters for this and they were giving a wonderful game.
    Forehand and backhands I think I will give them to Goznzales and Gasquet but this is obviously not enough to become number 1

Sampras serve.

Graf's FH ruined many a young career on the WTA

But, it must be added, that her foot speed allowed her to use the FH as often as she did...

I would agree with T3NN15VV. The Sampras serve, particularly the second serve.

Jagermeister, hands down.