» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 504

0 members and 504 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Best forehand?

Best forehand?

Del Potro's is the biggest in my opinion.

Is it the best?

Federer's is more versatile.

Other contenders: Gonzalez, Soderling, ?

Gonzo has the biggest hands down. Some of the shots he comes up with defy belief. I was watching a match of him against Davydenko a couple of years ago and the crowds literally gasped each time Gonzo hit the forehand. When his timing is on, he can destroy anyone. Soderling and Del Potro would be joint second but a long way behind Gonzo. Federer has an excellent forehand but not the most powerful.

Check these out if you don't believe me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nv0Z1ZkHeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBOfMFTyYZk
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Well, in terms of sheer pace, you're absolutely right, Gonzo is in his very own macabre league - perhaps a case can be made for Monfils being his equal there, but he doesn't hit hard consistently. I am, however, in agreement with ilendl on Del Potro's being the biggest, seeing as it is almost as hard as Gonzo's, and much heavier - besides the fact that he hits it hard every, single, damn time - something even Gonzo fails to do.

Robin Soderling's forehand is so risky, cause he hits as flat as a recreational player but, of course, with much more success. Del Po' has a real big forehand, but when the ball stays low, it falls apart. I agree Gonzo has the most juice from the forehand; however, if I could pick one as my own, it would be Fed's. He has a perfect blend of penetration and safety topspin. That inside-out forehand is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Robin Soderling's forehand is so risky, cause he hits as flat as a recreational player but, of course, with much more success. Del Po' has a real big forehand, but when the ball stays low, it falls apart. I agree Gonzo has the most juice from the forehand; however, if I could pick one as my own, it would be Fed's. He has a perfect blend of penetration and safety topspin. That inside-out forehand is unbelievable.
    I have to agree that Federer's forehand is the most complete. Gonzo's is relentlessly spectacular and I think it is probably more versatile than Delpo's because he can cut down on the pace to create some incredible angles and then crank it up to hit deep, down the line winners. Delpo's is higher risk because he hits it so flat and slightly more predictable; even Gonzo hits with some loop and spin and his swing mechanics are superior
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    I have to agree that Federer's forehand is the most complete. Gonzo's is relentlessly spectacular and I think it is probably more versatile than Delpo's because he can cut down on the pace to create some incredible angles and then crank it up to hit deep, down the line winners. Delpo's is higher risk because he hits it so flat and slightly more predictable; even Gonzo hits with some loop and spin and his swing mechanics are superior
    exactly! and if Gonzalez could find a way to stay more positive against the big guys, he'd be in the top 5 no problem!

Biggest forehand? I hate to disappoint you guys, but it actually came from a 5'9" tall guy named Jimmy Arias back in 1983. I have hit with them all. I've hit with most of the tour players at one point or another at the academies down in Florida and at the very least, seen all of these guys that are being talked about here. Of all of those forehands, that little guy Arias hit such a big ball, it nearly took my racquet out of my hands when i was warming him up at one of the Nuveen Masters Tournaments. That forehand was crazy big. He literally made the ball warp when he hit it. I could rally all day with Federer forehand to forehand, but Arias, I am attacking his backhand. Period..........Tennis Magazine did an article on him about this very subject. He modernized the forehand back in 1982 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Biggest forehand? I hate to disappoint you guys, but it actually came from a 5'9" tall guy named Jimmy Arias back in 1983. I have hit with them all. I've hit with most of the tour players at one point or another at the academies down in Florida and at the very least, seen all of these guys that are being talked about here. Of all of those forehands, that little guy Arias hit such a big ball, it nearly took my racquet out of my hands when i was warming him up at one of the Nuveen Masters Tournaments. That forehand was crazy big. He literally made the ball warp when he hit it. I could rally all day with Federer forehand to forehand, but Arias, I am attacking his backhand. Period..........Tennis Magazine did an article on him about this very subject. He modernized the forehand back in 1982 or so.
    Can you find a video of Jimmy Arias

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Can you find a video of Jimmy Arias
    I have looked and looked and can't find anything since he was an early and mid 80's player on tour. He made it to #4 in the world his first year or so on tour and then started dealing with burnout and injuries. He was a Bollettieri prodigy (the first prodigy of nick's) and man could he murder a forehand. Played a lot like James Blake, but with a much, much bigger and more effortless forehand.