» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 471

0 members and 471 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Backhands...and Forehands...

Ok, so I've recently been trying out a one handed backhand.
    I have an okish 2 hander, but I noticed that when I performed a 2h , I used to let go of the racquet often while following through, stuff like that.

So I tried the 1 hander and it seemed really natural to me...

I'm just wondering what kind of backhand you use and why.

Also, anyone with a 1 hander, how do you put more topspin?

And then my questions for all strokes :

My forehand tends to go very high, I used a moderate semi western grip, and hit with plenty of topspin.
    Previously i used an eastern, but I switched.
    How do I try to add more power?

Lastly, does depth depend on length of backswing and how hard you hit, or is it just the amount of power?

If the 1h feels more natural, use it. Its the same for me. I use a one-handed bh and I can't even get the ball over the net with a 2h.

For topspin on the bh, its the same principle as the forehand. Brush up the back of the ball. Your wrist should be fairly loose as the racket rises to meet the ball and then it should tighten as you connect with the ball. The racket should be quite high after you hit through the ball.I tend to flick my wrist slightly as I connect to create topspin when I need to.

The best way to create topspin is to coil up before the shot (the correct 1h backhand mechanics). If you look at someone like Gasquet, who probably has the best backhand in the world, you'll see what I mean. You're racket should be almost hidden from the opponent as the ball approaches, you should almost have your back turned away from your opponent and your legs should be bent with your centre of gravity low. These three things will ensure that you are coiled and ready to rip through and up the back of the ball and will help you create even more power and topspin.

Imagine how much more powerful a pitcher can throw if he coils up as opposed to just standing front-on. Its a similar principle with the backhand (and the forehand as well, but in a different way).

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUQxb4ZtR-4
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

The depth depends tremendously on spin. The more spin you hit it with, the less depth (barring that you aim high, which will give you, at least in my experience, a very odd sort of topspin) - i've found that focusing on hitting up and through the ball and ensuring you get the full follow-through ensures good depth coupled with good spin.

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    Ok, so I've recently been trying out a one handed backhand.
    I have an okish 2 hander, but I noticed that when I performed a 2h , I used to let go of the racquet often while following through, stuff like that.

So I tried the 1 hander and it seemed really natural to me...

I'm just wondering what kind of backhand you use and why.

Also, anyone with a 1 hander, how do you put more topspin?

And then my questions for all strokes :

My forehand tends to go very high, I used a moderate semi western grip, and hit with plenty of topspin.
    Previously i used an eastern, but I switched.
    How do I try to add more power?

Lastly, does depth depend on length of backswing and how hard you hit, or is it just the amount of power?
    When hitting the one hander, make sure you cock the racquet when you make your initial turn on the ball. Taking the racquet straight back is a no no when hitting the one hander. The racquet head needs to be up and above the hitting wrist. When you start the forward swing, it will snap downward and then back up and through the ball. As for power, it will come from your hips and legs as well as your swing. Power will come with time and if you are still trying to find your game, forget about the power right now. Work on a consistent stroke that you can rely on and then begin adding power. It will all come together with time and practice. Once you know your stroke and have a good feel for it, then start working on power by really uncoiling into the ball and making sure you accelerate the racquet through the entire stroke. Especially the strike zone and the follow through. Watch Gustavo Kuerton or Stefan Edberg to get a good idea of how the one hander should be hit. As for the two hander, Agassi all the way..........

Thanks a lot for everyones suggestions. After some thought, I think i'm just going to stick with a 2 hand bh.

I'm having a really hard time controlling depth of my shots, so how do I do this.

Secondly, when people talk about uses angles, what do they mean?

Depth is controlled by the height of your ball over the net. You learn a consistent swing, so that's how hard you make it for groundies. Then you hit higher over the net to go deeper.
    Angles mean sharp CCourts or DTL, not up the middles.