» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 527

0 members and 527 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's the quickest player ever?

Suggestions: Michael Chang, Rafa Nadal, Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, Fernando Gonzalez, Gael Monfils, James Blake, Guillermo Coria, Lleyton Hewitt, Juan Carlos Ferrero
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Me!! Lol! Who knows? My former coach Lawson Duncan was a top 50 player for quite awhile and he challenged anyone on the tour to a 40 or 100 yard dash contest. He specifically called out Michael Chang, but Chang wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Me!! Lol! Who knows? My former coach Lawson Duncan was a top 50 player for quite awhile and he challenged anyone on the tour to a 40 or 100 yard dash contest. He specifically called out Michael Chang, but Chang wouldn't do it.
    Fabrice Santoro was quick. I'm going to pick Rafa.

Nadal, but Murray is pretty quick and you didn't mention him. I picked Nadal because it's kind of a blend of speed and being able to do something with the ball when you get to it.
    Last edited by clock-; 01-14-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    Nadal, but Murray is pretty quick and you didn't mention him. I picked Nadal because it's kind of a blend of speed and being able to do something with the ball when you get to it.
    Well, that's the thing isn't it. There are plenty of people who maybe aren't the quickest but they anticipate well and save crucial milliseconds in that respect. I don't think Murray's particularly quick, but like all top 5 players he has great defence and is able to return three or four shots more than most lesser players.

I agree that Nadal is very quick and is able to return the ball from anywhere. Chang had the same ability and was possibly even quicker. Gonzalez is super quick and can hit winners from some of the most ridiculous positions.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

I think Del Potro at least deserves the title of "Fastest Big Guy". Compared to the other big guys (Karlovic and Isner) he is ludicrously fast.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    I think Del Potro at least deserves the title of "Fastest Big Guy". Compared to the other big guys (Karlovic and Isner) he is ludicrously fast.
    +1 his wing span helps

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    Karlovic may as well sit down after serving. He's practically sedentary on the court. He really is a useless player.

You're right Delpo is the fastest big guy around but unfortunately for him he can't be compared with just the big guys. Most of the players he comes up against are shorter and quicker. Of course Delpo can afford to move slightly slower than most because of the nature of his strokes. It makes you wonder: Gonzalez has even bigger groundies than Delpo, a pretty big serve, is faster around the court and can hit winners from anywhere, yet he's never won a slam...

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Karlovic may as well sit down after serving. He's practically sedentary on the court. He really is a useless player.

You're right Delpo is the fastest big guy around but unfortunately for him he can't be compared with just the big guys. Most of the players he comes up against are shorter and quicker. Of course Delpo can afford to move slightly slower than most because of the nature of his strokes. It makes you wonder: Gonzalez has even bigger groundies than Delpo, a pretty big serve, is faster around the court and can hit winners from anywhere, yet he's never won a slam...
    You're right. It almost seems like he doesn't strive to reach one. The most recent Slam, the US Open, Gonzalez all but gave Nadal that fifth set. What a disappointment that was. Maybe that is some insight to why he doesn't fair well at those events. He just thinks too much and that day off in between every match of a Slam gets to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    You're right. It almost seems like he doesn't strive to reach one. The most recent Slam, the US Open, Gonzalez all but gave Nadal that fifth set. What a disappointment that was. Maybe that is some insight to why he doesn't fair well at those events. He just thinks too much and that day off in between every match of a Slam gets to him.
    Yep it's because he is too temperamental and loses concentration. The thing about Gonzo is that when he's playing well and inevitably ripping an opponent apart, he'll really strive for the win. In these circumstances he's as determined as anyone. But when he's losing, or something isn't going quite right, he messes around, and loses belief and motivation. That's his main problem. It's a real shame because he has the weapons and ability to beat anyone on the planet but this flaw is what has prevented him from making the most of his career...so far.

Big Gonzalez fans......I never really thought he was all that quick. Gonzalez's issue is not that he gives up, but he tires himself out and by the time he gets to the 5th set, he has no more fuel in the tank. He puts a lot into his shots and it wears him down. Especially against players like Federer and Nadal who can get his shots back. Gonzo would break all of his racquets in frustration if he played Michael Chang back in the day. I would say that Chang is by far the quickest player to have graced the courts that most people know about. He had incredibly muscular legs and was only 5'8" tall on a good day. He could fly for short distances.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Big Gonzalez fans......I never really thought he was all that quick. Gonzalez's issue is not that he gives up, but he tires himself out and by the time he gets to the 5th set, he has no more fuel in the tank. He puts a lot into his shots and it wears him down. Especially against players like Federer and Nadal who can get his shots back. Gonzo would break all of his racquets in frustration if he played Michael Chang back in the day. I would say that Chang is by far the quickest player to have graced the courts that most people know about. He had incredibly muscular legs and was only 5'8" tall on a good day. He could fly for short distances.
    Oh, Gonzo is quiiick!! Really light-footed and his legs are like football player's - tree trunks of pure muscle. I agree Chang was extremely quick, probably the quickest ever, but there's no denying that Gonzo is like greased lightning even at the age of 28

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Geez! i would not want to be in the way of his forehand!

Speedy Gonzales. His definitely the fastest. Hm, possibly Lleyton Hewitt or else?
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur