» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 380

0 members and 380 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Who's the best player in the world right now?

Roger? Actually I reckon Davydenko could beat anyone at the moment. In the 1st set of his match against Federer yesterday (which he won 6-4 6-4) his 1st serve %age was 100%!! Ok first serve % isn't everything but its an indication of how well he's playing right now. He also gave himself 7 chances to break Fed in the first set alone!

I reckon he's possibly favorite for the Aus open provided there aren't any surprises.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Roger? Actually I reckon Davydenko could beat anyone at the moment. In the 1st set of his match against Federer yesterday (which he won 6-4 6-4) his 1st serve %age was 100%!! Ok first serve % isn't everything but its an indication of how well he's playing right now. He also gave himself 7 chances to break Fed in the first set alone!

I reckon he's possibly favorite for the Aus open provided there aren't any surprises.
    i dont have the tennis channel.. what tournament are you talking about?

also, if davydenko continues to play like he has these past few months, he sure has a good shot. he's been in the top 5 for years (except 2009 cause of his injury), and he's come very close to claiming an open. i think the law of averages is on his side.
    Last edited by Lawn Tennis; 01-09-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    i dont have the tennis channel.. what tournament are you talking about?
    Doha (Qatar) atp 250
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

Doha (Qatar) atp 250
    that does it, im getting the tennis channel

that does it, im getting the tennis channel
    You can just watch it on the internet at www.atdhe.net or www.stream2watch.com

Davydenko will tighten up and choke it away once he plays the Grand Slams. Sorry, I don't see him doing it. I've worked with enough Russian players and the men tend to get psychotically pissed off inside (whether they show it or not) when they aren't playing all that great and it really affects them. When he plays great, he is really good. However, things are different at the Slams. Different pressure. Even different from the end of the year tournament. That tournament still is not a Grand Slam. Less pressure of being embarrassed by someone who isn't a top player because everyone at that tournament IS a top player. It's tough going out there against a guy ranked 50 in the world when you are a top 10 player. You probably haven't seen him play before and don't know much about his game. However, he knows quite a bit about your game as you are a top player. Then, this guy takes you to 5 sets and you feel like you are playing badly. Kills your confidence. We shall see what happens, but I think a Nadal/Federer run in is inevitable............

Well, he may choke but he's pretty experienced, maybe he'll break through this year. Look at Verdasco this time last year. He has choked so many times in his career his neck must be sore, but at the Aus open he took out two top 10 players and reached the semis.

Davydenko came from a 6-0 first set loss to beat Rafa at Doha today and Rafa was playing the best he's ever played. He has the willpower and temperament in him, its just a matter of summoning it at the right moment. Yes, he's failed in the past but someone as good as him is not gonna stay quiet in the Grand Slams much longer.

I reckon the new top rivalry this year will centre around Nadal-Davy, Nadal-Djok or Nadal-Delpo. I can see a lot of GS finals turning out like that for the time being. Federer has lost his hunger to win or he's losing interest in the game (wife and kids etc.), and I think he's gonna have real trouble capturing any GS other than Wimbledon.

Actually Wimbledon will be VERY interesting. Right now I reckon the only people who have the wood on Rafa are Delpo, Djokovic and Davydenko...but they aren't good on grass. I predict a Federer Nadal final where Nadal will be the favorite (on current form). Nadal should definitely win Roland Garros but the other two majors are wide open. Apart from Murray, it could be anyone in the top 6
    Last edited by AlexLogan; 01-09-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Davydenko will tighten up and choke it away once he plays the Grand Slams. Sorry, I don't see him doing it. I've worked with enough Russian players and the men tend to get psychotically pissed off inside (whether they show it or not) when they aren't playing all that great and it really affects them. When he plays great, he is really good. However, things are different at the Slams. Different pressure. Even different from the end of the year tournament. That tournament still is not a Grand Slam. Less pressure of being embarrassed by someone who isn't a top player because everyone at that tournament IS a top player. It's tough going out there against a guy ranked 50 in the world when you are a top 10 player. You probably haven't seen him play before and don't know much about his game. However, he knows quite a bit about your game as you are a top player. Then, this guy takes you to 5 sets and you feel like you are playing badly. Kills your confidence. We shall see what happens, but I think a Nadal/Federer run in is inevitable............
    Well, he may choke but he's pretty experienced, maybe he'll break through this year. Look at Verdasco this time last year. He has choked so many times in his career his neck must be sore, but at the Aus open he took out two top 10 players and reached the semis.

Davydenko came from a 6-0 first set loss to beat Rafa at Doha today and Rafa was playing the best he's ever played. He has the willpower and temperament in him, its just a matter of summoning it at the right moment. Yes, he's failed in the past but someone as good as him is not gonna stay quiet in the Grand Slams much longer.

I reckon the new top rivalry this year will centre around Nadal-Davy, Nadal-Djok or Nadal-Delpo. I can see a lot of GS finals turning out like that for the time being. Federer has lost his hunger to win or he's losing interest in the game (wife and kids etc.), and I think he's gonna have real trouble capturing any GS other than Wimbledon.

Actually Wimbledon will be VERY interesting. Right now I reckon the only people who have the wood on Rafa are Delpo, Djokovic and Davydenko...but they aren't good on grass. I predict a Federer Nadal final where Nadal will be the favorite (on current form). Nadal should definitely win Roland Garros but the other two majors are wide open. Apart from Murray, it could be anyone in the top 6
    I'm gonna go with the same old - Nadal wins the French, and Federer wins Wimbledon. The Australian Open will be very competitive, and I can't wait! The US Open is too far for me to make a clear prediction. Injuries always plague the September tournaments.

Thanks for the links Alex

I'm gonna go with the same old - Nadal wins the French, and Federer wins Wimbledon. The Australian Open will be very competitive, and I can't wait! The US Open is too far for me to make a clear prediction. Injuries always plague the September tournaments.

Thanks for the links Alex
    I think DelPo has a good shot at both hard court slams, and an even better one at Wimby - he was knocked out last year by a Hewitt who was in better form than he has been since he was no. 1. I think Del Potro could absolutely massacre Federer on grass - if he lives up to his potential.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    I think DelPo has a good shot at both hard court slams, and an even better one at Wimby - he was knocked out last year by a Hewitt who was in better form than he has been since he was no. 1. I think Del Potro could absolutely massacre Federer on grass - if he lives up to his potential.
    I dont think delpo's a good enough mover to be good on grass. He'll always be a handful because he's a great player but you need to have good variation on grass which is not one of his strengths. But yeah, I agree he's a major contender for both hard court slams.

I think at Wimby, Fed will wipe the grass with him

I dont think delpo's a good enough mover to be good on grass. He'll always be a handful because he's a great player but you need to have good variation on grass which is not one of his strengths. But yeah, I agree he's a major contender for both hard court slams.

I think at Wimby, Fed will wipe the grass with him
    +1 We all know the only pro comparable to Fed on grass is Sampras.

That would be Nadal, especially after winning the 9th Roland Garros title.