Tennis

» Site Navigation

 > FAQ

» Stats

Members: 14,374
Threads: 57,503
Posts: 84,116
Top Poster: antoni (52,010)
Welcome to our newest member, yumm367w

» Online Users: 203

2 members and 201 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 601, 08-31-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    LA, California
    Posts
    151

    Who's the quickest player ever?

    Suggestions: Michael Chang, Rafa Nadal, Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, Fernando Gonzalez, Gael Monfils, James Blake, Guillermo Coria, Lleyton Hewitt, Juan Carlos Ferrero
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, Iíll never be as good as a wall."

    "Whoever said, ĎItís not whether you win or lose that counts,í probably lost."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sea Pines, Hilton Head, South Carolina
    Posts
    414
    Me!! Lol! Who knows? My former coach Lawson Duncan was a top 50 player for quite awhile and he challenged anyone on the tour to a 40 or 100 yard dash contest. He specifically called out Michael Chang, but Chang wouldn't do it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Me!! Lol! Who knows? My former coach Lawson Duncan was a top 50 player for quite awhile and he challenged anyone on the tour to a 40 or 100 yard dash contest. He specifically called out Michael Chang, but Chang wouldn't do it.
    Fabrice Santoro was quick. I'm going to pick Rafa.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    132
    Nadal, but Murray is pretty quick and you didn't mention him. I picked Nadal because it's kind of a blend of speed and being able to do something with the ball when you get to it.
    Last edited by clock-; 01-14-2010 at 12:29 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    LA, California
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    Nadal, but Murray is pretty quick and you didn't mention him. I picked Nadal because it's kind of a blend of speed and being able to do something with the ball when you get to it.
    Well, that's the thing isn't it. There are plenty of people who maybe aren't the quickest but they anticipate well and save crucial milliseconds in that respect. I don't think Murray's particularly quick, but like all top 5 players he has great defence and is able to return three or four shots more than most lesser players.

    I agree that Nadal is very quick and is able to return the ball from anywhere. Chang had the same ability and was possibly even quicker. Gonzalez is super quick and can hit winners from some of the most ridiculous positions.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, Iíll never be as good as a wall."

    "Whoever said, ĎItís not whether you win or lose that counts,í probably lost."

  6. #6
    I think Del Potro at least deserves the title of "Fastest Big Guy". Compared to the other big guys (Karlovic and Isner) he is ludicrously fast.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    I think Del Potro at least deserves the title of "Fastest Big Guy". Compared to the other big guys (Karlovic and Isner) he is ludicrously fast.
    +1 his wing span helps

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    LA, California
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    I think Del Potro at least deserves the title of "Fastest Big Guy". Compared to the other big guys (Karlovic and Isner) he is ludicrously fast.
    Karlovic may as well sit down after serving. He's practically sedentary on the court. He really is a useless player.

    You're right Delpo is the fastest big guy around but unfortunately for him he can't be compared with just the big guys. Most of the players he comes up against are shorter and quicker. Of course Delpo can afford to move slightly slower than most because of the nature of his strokes. It makes you wonder: Gonzalez has even bigger groundies than Delpo, a pretty big serve, is faster around the court and can hit winners from anywhere, yet he's never won a slam...
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, Iíll never be as good as a wall."

    "Whoever said, ĎItís not whether you win or lose that counts,í probably lost."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Karlovic may as well sit down after serving. He's practically sedentary on the court. He really is a useless player.

    You're right Delpo is the fastest big guy around but unfortunately for him he can't be compared with just the big guys. Most of the players he comes up against are shorter and quicker. Of course Delpo can afford to move slightly slower than most because of the nature of his strokes. It makes you wonder: Gonzalez has even bigger groundies than Delpo, a pretty big serve, is faster around the court and can hit winners from anywhere, yet he's never won a slam...
    You're right. It almost seems like he doesn't strive to reach one. The most recent Slam, the US Open, Gonzalez all but gave Nadal that fifth set. What a disappointment that was. Maybe that is some insight to why he doesn't fair well at those events. He just thinks too much and that day off in between every match of a Slam gets to him.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    LA, California
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    You're right. It almost seems like he doesn't strive to reach one. The most recent Slam, the US Open, Gonzalez all but gave Nadal that fifth set. What a disappointment that was. Maybe that is some insight to why he doesn't fair well at those events. He just thinks too much and that day off in between every match of a Slam gets to him.
    Yep it's because he is too temperamental and loses concentration. The thing about Gonzo is that when he's playing well and inevitably ripping an opponent apart, he'll really strive for the win. In these circumstances he's as determined as anyone. But when he's losing, or something isn't going quite right, he messes around, and loses belief and motivation. That's his main problem. It's a real shame because he has the weapons and ability to beat anyone on the planet but this flaw is what has prevented him from making the most of his career...so far.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, Iíll never be as good as a wall."

    "Whoever said, ĎItís not whether you win or lose that counts,í probably lost."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    LA, California
    Posts
    151
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, Iíll never be as good as a wall."

    "Whoever said, ĎItís not whether you win or lose that counts,í probably lost."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sea Pines, Hilton Head, South Carolina
    Posts
    414
    Big Gonzalez fans......I never really thought he was all that quick. Gonzalez's issue is not that he gives up, but he tires himself out and by the time he gets to the 5th set, he has no more fuel in the tank. He puts a lot into his shots and it wears him down. Especially against players like Federer and Nadal who can get his shots back. Gonzo would break all of his racquets in frustration if he played Michael Chang back in the day. I would say that Chang is by far the quickest player to have graced the courts that most people know about. He had incredibly muscular legs and was only 5'8" tall on a good day. He could fly for short distances.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    LA, California
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Big Gonzalez fans......I never really thought he was all that quick. Gonzalez's issue is not that he gives up, but he tires himself out and by the time he gets to the 5th set, he has no more fuel in the tank. He puts a lot into his shots and it wears him down. Especially against players like Federer and Nadal who can get his shots back. Gonzo would break all of his racquets in frustration if he played Michael Chang back in the day. I would say that Chang is by far the quickest player to have graced the courts that most people know about. He had incredibly muscular legs and was only 5'8" tall on a good day. He could fly for short distances.
    Oh, Gonzo is quiiick!! Really light-footed and his legs are like football player's - tree trunks of pure muscle. I agree Chang was extremely quick, probably the quickest ever, but there's no denying that Gonzo is like greased lightning even at the age of 28
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, Iíll never be as good as a wall."

    "Whoever said, ĎItís not whether you win or lose that counts,í probably lost."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Geez! i would not want to be in the way of his forehand!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    240
    Speedy Gonzales. His definitely the fastest. Hm, possibly Lleyton Hewitt or else?
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur

Similar Threads

  1. How do i become the worlds best player?
    By Erik in forum General Tennis Discussion Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 08:57 AM
  2. Former ATP player and coach here. Hi to all!
    By tennisking1 in forum New TW Member Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 09:49 AM
  3. 3.0 New England Player
    By NickH87 in forum New TW Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 06:07 PM
  4. Best player at the moment
    By barcelona in forum Pro Players Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 04:07 AM
  5. tips for a new player?
    By new player in forum General Tennis Discussion Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.0.1