» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 516

0 members and 516 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

With regards to shoulder turn on the 1-handed backhand.

Ok, so, i had a really odd training session today. My coach and i have been at work returning my backhand to it's former glory, but now i'm going absolutely bonkers. Basically, i can't seem to keep my shoulders from turning through the shot, and it's very obvious that this keeps me from hitting wicked topspin. Essentially what my coach wants me to do is swing the racquet solely by stretching the deltoid, which i can't do fast enough to go for winners, or even just medium paced shots. If i try to do so, my shoulder starts turning involuntarily and immediately!
    I'm considering 2 things: A: bulk up my deltoid at the gym until i can actually hit hard using the technique he is teaching me and/or B: Strap my shoulder with sports tape so that it can't turn, and hit only backhands, until this becomes natural. So please, to you pros and coaches out there, does this sound like it might help?
    P.S: I do not have access to a ball machine, so just hitting a gazillion balls isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    Ok, so, i had a really odd training session today. My coach and i have been at work returning my backhand to it's former glory, but now i'm going absolutely bonkers. Basically, i can't seem to keep my shoulders from turning through the shot, and it's very obvious that this keeps me from hitting wicked topspin. Essentially what my coach wants me to do is swing the racquet solely by stretching the deltoid, which i can't do fast enough to go for winners, or even just medium paced shots. If i try to do so, my shoulder starts turning involuntarily and immediately!
    I'm considering 2 things: A: bulk up my deltoid at the gym until i can actually hit hard using the technique he is teaching me and/or B: Strap my shoulder with sports tape so that it can't turn, and hit only backhands, until this becomes natural. So please, to you pros and coaches out there, does this sound like it might help?
    P.S: I do not have access to a ball machine, so just hitting a gazillion balls isn't an option.
    To make things a little simpler, try keeping your head on the contact point throughout the stroke. It will keep you from opening up too quickly and you will get better contact. It sounds like you were pulling out of the shot and he is trying to get you to stay down on it. Usually, that problem starts with the head coming up and then the shoulders do as well and then you end up leaning back. I have always lifted weights. It does work, but make sure that you work both sides equally. Not just your racquet shoulder. You need to keep your body in balance. Remember, keep your head still and on the contact point......

Your coach is trying to isolate your swing, and as such, is focusing totally on NOT moving your shoulders.
    But, you seem to talk in terms of match play and general hitting, where some amount of body turn is used on 1HBH topspins. That's natural, and I don't think your coach wants you to PLAY using only deltoids and arm.
    As said, keeping head still thru impact usually solidifies the body positioning, so that should be good enough for your coach.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    Your coach is trying to isolate your swing, and as such, is focusing totally on NOT moving your shoulders.
    But, you seem to talk in terms of match play and general hitting, where some amount of body turn is used on 1HBH topspins. That's natural, and I don't think your coach wants you to PLAY using only deltoids and arm.
    As said, keeping head still thru impact usually solidifies the body positioning, so that should be good enough for your coach.
    Agreed. In matchplay, in order to really give it a rip, you will pull through hard with your torso and hips and in order to do that, the shoulders will have to come around a bit too. Another useful tip beside keeping the head on the shot, when you let go of the racquet throat, let your free hand come back and extend toward the fence behind you. That will keep you turned a bit too. Watch Federer or Lendl for an example. That will keep you on your line, but will still allow you to add some whip in there without falling out of the shot. Good for balance too......