Tennis

» Site Navigation

 > FAQ

» Stats

Members: 14,965
Threads: 146,609
Posts: 158,364
Top Poster: antoni (129,054)
Welcome to our newest member, JFifield

» Online Users: 64

3 members and 61 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 601, 08-31-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: String help...

  1. #1

    String help...

    I currently use the babolat hurricane/excel hybrid, and i usually take about 10 days or so to break these strings. Recently my coach mentioned that i should probably go for "playibility not durability" because i was breaking them so often. I also have noticed that probably on days 7 through 10 the strings wear out a bit and dont feel as good, and after I break them, I suddenly play a bit better with the newer strings. does anybody have any advice on any other strings that would work well for me? because I have used the same string for about a year and its tough to change.

    also, recently my raquet was accidently strung with a hybrid that I think was hurricane/v6, not sure if v6 is the exact name though, and i HATED that, i might just be that picky but it felt like i had no control.

    any advice or opinions apreciated, thanks!

  2. #2
    Well, the Luxilon Big Bangers are the most durable strings you will find - they are a wee bit pricy, but they're real good - they have great feel considering they are synth strings. If you've got plenty of cash to spend on strings, go with a Luxilon Big Banger/Babolat VS Team hybrid stringing. Absolutely THE best strings you will find on the market.

  3. #3
    ok in the original post when i said v6, i meant vs, i DONT like vs when it is the crossstring with the hurricane, i may try luxilon, but i am not too interested in the durability of the string

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by ty17383 View Post
    ok in the original post when i said v6, i meant vs, i DONT like vs when it is the crossstring with the hurricane, i may try luxilon, but i am not too interested in the durability of the string
    Luxilon is durable only because it's polyester based.. the intention was not to make a durable string. i only tried Luxilon once at -1 lb from factory suggestion. i did not like it at all. yeah, the strings do generate tons of spin, but when it comes to out-right control, forget it. if you do opt for luxilon, be sure to make it tighter than your normal liking. i would say if you string at 57 go to 59. i wish i could help you with your current string set-up, but i have never tried either.

    good luck.

  5. #5
    thanks lawn tennis,

    i was looking around the babolat website, i am thinking about either going with all pro hurricane tour, or maybe going to excel power, the problem with excel power is that the site said it was for starters, not sure how much i should base on the website saying that though

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sea Pines, Hilton Head, South Carolina
    Posts
    414
    I've been sponsored by Babolat for quite awhile now and to be honest, there are a lot of strings out there that I find to be better. I just switched over to Prince racquets and strings (I am required to play with them now as I coach at an academy that is sponsored by Prince) and the Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex is an awesome string. If you want extreme playability, go with the 17 or 18 gauge. If you break it too quick, go with the 16 gauge. It is not the greatest string out there, but it is feasibly priced, it breaks when it is supposed to(you don't want strings to last too long if you play a lot), they feel very good compared to the FiberAce and FiberTour of Babolat, and they are very consistent in their playability and feel. There is also the new Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament that is supposedly excellent. I go through a set of Babolat Pro Hurricane 17 gauge in about three hours of play. That is polyester BOTH ways. I get an hour to an hour and a half out of the synthetic gut from Prince. It's worth stringing to me.





    Quote Originally Posted by ty17383 View Post
    thanks lawn tennis,

    i was looking around the babolat website, i am thinking about either going with all pro hurricane tour, or maybe going to excel power, the problem with excel power is that the site said it was for starters, not sure how much i should base on the website saying that though

  7. #7
    thanks a bunch tennisking, I think that is what I will try, like I said at the begining, my main issue is that the strings wear out before breaking so this sounds like a good option

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    I've been sponsored by Babolat for quite awhile now and to be honest, there are a lot of strings out there that I find to be better. I just switched over to Prince racquets and strings (I am required to play with them now as I coach at an academy that is sponsored by Prince) and the Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex is an awesome string. If you want extreme playability, go with the 17 or 18 gauge. If you break it too quick, go with the 16 gauge. It is not the greatest string out there, but it is feasibly priced, it breaks when it is supposed to(you don't want strings to last too long if you play a lot), they feel very good compared to the FiberAce and FiberTour of Babolat, and they are very consistent in their playability and feel. There is also the new Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament that is supposedly excellent. I go through a set of Babolat Pro Hurricane 17 gauge in about three hours of play. That is polyester BOTH ways. I get an hour to an hour and a half out of the synthetic gut from Prince. It's worth stringing to me.
    You got the job!! That's awesome. How do you like it so far?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sea Pines, Hilton Head, South Carolina
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    You got the job!! That's awesome. How do you like it so far?
    Hi LT. Yep, I am coaching at the Smith Stearns Academy in Sea Pines Resort on Hilton Head Island, S.C. My official start day is February 1st, but I moved next to the tennis club and so I walk over there and work with some of the kids before clinic starts. Getting to know the kids and such so I can walk on the court this Monday and not feel like an alien! Tons of potential at this academy. Great place for players to train and excellent coaches.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Hi LT. Yep, I am coaching at the Smith Stearns Academy in Sea Pines Resort on Hilton Head Island, S.C. My official start day is February 1st, but I moved next to the tennis club and so I walk over there and work with some of the kids before clinic starts. Getting to know the kids and such so I can walk on the court this Monday and not feel like an alien! Tons of potential at this academy. Great place for players to train and excellent coaches.
    Great I'm so happy for ya man. The resort will certainly get there monies worth from you. i remember not to long ago you were bored out of your mind sitting in an office. So you had to move to SC or were you already living there?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sea Pines, Hilton Head, South Carolina
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Great I'm so happy for ya man. The resort will certainly get there monies worth from you. i remember not to long ago you were bored out of your mind sitting in an office. So you had to move to SC or were you already living there?
    I moved here. I will be up and running on the website in the next week or so.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    I moved here. I will be up and running on the website in the next week or so.
    the resort's site?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sea Pines, Hilton Head, South Carolina
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    the resort's site?
    Yep, picture and all. We have a pretty solid crew there.......

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Yep, picture and all. We have a pretty solid crew there.......
    cool. send a link then.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sea Pines, Hilton Head, South Carolina
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    cool. send a link then.
    Here is the site. I will be up and running on there in the next few days. You can still give it a look.

    www.smithstearns.com

Similar Threads

  1. String suggestions please
    By Lawn Tennis in forum Tennis Equipment
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
  2. string life
    By Lawn Tennis in forum Tennis Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 03:03 PM
  3. What happened to this string?
    By shazam in forum Tennis Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 11:39 PM
  4. String advice
    By mikez in forum Tennis Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 10:12 PM
  5. string question
    By seanarmenta in forum Tennis Equipment
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 02:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.0.1