» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 695

0 members and 695 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

View Poll Results: At the age 28, are Roger Federer and Serena Williams in their prime or past?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • In their prime

9 75.00%
  • Past their prime

3 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tennis and Age

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    Yeah, there's tons of "sheep" talk about groundstrokes taking over tennis because of the new harder hitting rackets and livelier strings. A volleyer just can't keep up with the technology of fast swings and powerful groundies. That, coupled with the trend towards slower courts, makes S/V obsolete.
    Guess what? The volley also gets to use the new technology! Hard to believe, but true.
    Now the players just have to practice volleying as much as groundstrokes, and the balance is achieved.
    And aggressive mindset compared to pusher mentality, of course.
    Good call. Most people are too worried about winning and losing to see that point. I think serving and volleying as well as chipping and charging would work great as long as a player commits to practicing it and sticking with it even through tough losses. It just takes a lot of practice and a strong commitment to doing it.

Roger still moves as well as ever, and Serena still plays the game she always has, Their still in their prime. I thing the age question I think comes down to how much tread is left on the tires. James Blake is 30 but missed 2 yrs, still plays his athlectic game, we don't see him slowing down. Stephon Edberg was slowed considerably by age 30! Due basically to the injuries pilling up on em! It depends on the player as to the age question.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Good call. Most people are too worried about winning and losing to see that point. I think serving and volleying as well as chipping and charging would work great as long as a player commits to practicing it and sticking with it even through tough losses. It just takes a lot of practice and a strong commitment to doing it.
    I can tell you on the amatuer level it still works to an extent. It all comes down to who breaks mentally. Some days I can pass a s&v player no problem, other times i'm all over the place changing my mind between cross-court or down the line not making a single pass.

Quote Originally Posted by 2much View Post
    Roger still moves as well as ever, and Serena still plays the game she always has, Their still in their prime. I thing the age question I think comes down to how much tread is left on the tires. James Blake is 30 but missed 2 yrs, still plays his athlectic game, we don't see him slowing down. Stephon Edberg was slowed considerably by age 30! Due basically to the injuries pilling up on em! It depends on the player as to the age question.
    and how about Martina Navratilova winning a mixed slam at the age 49!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    I can tell you on the amatuer level it still works to an extent. It all comes down to who breaks mentally. Some days I can pass a s&v player no problem, other times i'm all over the place changing my mind between cross-court or down the line not making a single pass.
    That is truly why you must go with your first gut instinct. If you second guess yourself, you might as well give your opponent the point without even hitting the shot. It is as much a feeling as it is your eyes telling you to hit the ball to a certain spot. When your mind gives you that immediate "down the line", then go with it. At least you will be prepared to hit a good shot and you have a better chance of doing so than if you second guess yourself and lose that split second you need to prepare to hit a good shot. Choose a shot and hit it, regardless of whether it was the perfect shot for the moment. I have won many a point by hitting to the less than perfect spot, but at least my shot was well hit because my preparation was good and I went with my first decision. Had I second guessed myself, I probably would have hit a poor shot and lost the point. A lot of that comes with confidence and that is something that Federer and Serena both have. They have played enough tennis to know that they can't second guess themselves. That comes with experience, and that is something you only get with time.

i appreciate that input man. i normally do fine, but when i don't, the scenario is exactly as you explained. in some ways it seems like the smart thing is to atleast take a second look and hit it to the open court, but it just doesnt work out as planned - pretty much ever. moreover, it can be hard to not second guess yourself when the prior net point(s) went your opponents way.

i appreciate that input man. i normally do fine, but when i don't, the scenario is exactly as you explained. in some ways it seems like the smart thing is to atleast take a second look and hit it to the open court, but it just doesnt work out as planned - pretty much ever. moreover, it can be hard to not second guess yourself when the prior net point(s) went your opponents way.
    Make them beat you, don't beat yourself. That first shot can be a winner or an unforced error from your opponent. The key to consistency is to play the game WITH your opponent and not so much against. You have to work the ball around the court and hit WITH your opponent until you get the chance to attack. That is why it is okay if your opponent gets to that ball. So what if you didn't hit to the open court? He/she has to make their shot. Go with your first shot and if your opponent gets to it, prepare for the next shot early and decide where you are going and go with it. Once you develop confidence, you will realize that most of the time, you are going for the right shot the first time. Your mind immediately is thinking about where to hit the best shot, so don't second guess yourself. Practice this way and see what happens. Your game will move upward..........It really is about believing in what you are doing......

Make them beat you, don't beat yourself. That first shot can be a winner or an unforced error from your opponent. The key to consistency is to play the game WITH your opponent and not so much against. You have to work the ball around the court and hit WITH your opponent until you get the chance to attack. That is why it is okay if your opponent gets to that ball. So what if you didn't hit to the open court? He/she has to make their shot. Go with your first shot and if your opponent gets to it, prepare for the next shot early and decide where you are going and go with it. Once you develop confidence, you will realize that most of the time, you are going for the right shot the first time. Your mind immediately is thinking about where to hit the best shot, so don't second guess yourself. Practice this way and see what happens. Your game will move upward..........It really is about believing in what you are doing......
    i need to find a way to train with you seriously great post. i know exactly what you're talking about. some days i just get that zone feeling and admire the angle or penetration of the pass. what a good feeling that is. and really the most fun is when the s&v opponent is able to volley and half volley well. makes tennis worth the weeks of practice.

i need to find a way to train with you seriously great post. i know exactly what you're talking about. some days i just get that zone feeling and admire the angle or penetration of the pass. what a good feeling that is. and really the most fun is when the s&v opponent is able to volley and half volley well. makes tennis worth the weeks of practice.
    Come see us. I am not on the website yet, but I am training the players and getting paid to do it. We have a 14 year old girl named Haley Carter that I truly believe is going to be a great professional player. She has unbelievable athletic ability. Plays just like Carlos Moya! Not an ounce of girlie swing in her. She is 5'9" tall at 14 years old. She just won her 5th national title and is looking to qualify for the Family Circle Cup in a few weeks. We shall see what happens. Hopefully I will be up and running soon on the website. They have to take the time to take my picture and do my biography. Who knows. Maybe I am on my trial period. I think I will pass with flying colors! They just ordered me enough Adidas clothing to fill a hamper and another order goes in for the new clothing lines in 3 weeks. I am gonna need a new closet!

Come see us. I am not on the website yet, but I am training the players and getting paid to do it. We have a 14 year old girl named Haley Carter that I truly believe is going to be a great professional player. She has unbelievable athletic ability. Plays just like Carlos Moya! Not an ounce of girlie swing in her. She is 5'9" tall at 14 years old. She just won her 5th national title and is looking to qualify for the Family Circle Cup in a few weeks. We shall see what happens. Hopefully I will be up and running soon on the website. They have to take the time to take my picture and do my biography. Who knows. Maybe I am on my trial period. I think I will pass with flying colors! They just ordered me enough Adidas clothing to fill a hamper and another order goes in for the new clothing lines in 3 weeks. I am gonna need a new closet!
    South Carolina is a great place to vacation. I've been there many times and thoroughly enjoyed it. If I'm over that way this summer, I will gratefully let you know. Are you able to play tennis outside this time of year? Here in San
    Antonio, we have our spring days and winter days so you just kinda keep your fingers crossed. Yeah, you're in good shape. You're doing something you love and getting paid - not many people can say that. With your new protege', you will become the next Nick Bollettieri.

South Carolina is a great place to vacation. I've been there many times and thoroughly enjoyed it. If I'm over that way this summer, I will gratefully let you know. Are you able to play tennis outside this time of year? Here in San
    Antonio, we have our spring days and winter days so you just kinda keep your fingers crossed. Yeah, you're in good shape. You're doing something you love and getting paid - not many people can say that. With your new protege', you will become the next Nick Bollettieri.
    Oh yes, I just got of the court after a 5 hour training session. We are able to play all the time. We have had a bit of rain, but nothing too terrible. 23 outdoor clay courts. Haley is Billy Stearns' protege', but I get to train her during academy. She is pretty amazing. She literally hits the ball just like Carlos Moya. There are a bunch of really good players though. Good male players as well.

Lol, I was just wondering if any of you guys get like.. "impulses"?

Like when I was just starting to play, for some reason, I just naturally split stepped and automatically did carioca steps (in the point), or when a shot came by me, a thought just came to my head automatically, hit that direction.

(I had just hit crosscourt, and down the line was open.. didn't really know much vocab then).

Does that stuff happen to you??

Oh and about Roger and Serena..
    I think Roger has played even better, and I don't really know about Serena.

South Carolina sounds pretty nice, NY.. we get all 4 seasons in one week.
    This summer my parents might let me go to India and train/ play full time there though.

Oh yes, I just got of the court after a 5 hour training session. We are able to play all the time. We have had a bit of rain, but nothing too terrible. 23 outdoor clay courts. Haley is Billy Stearns' protege', but I get to train her during academy. She is pretty amazing. She literally hits the ball just like Carlos Moya. There are a bunch of really good players though. Good male players as well.
    that's the beauty of clay, rain doesnt ruin the day. so Haley is the next Lindsay Davenport! wouldn't that be fun. Well, they may be good, but i'd put my money on your skills any day TK.

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    Lol, I was just wondering if any of you guys get like.. "impulses"?

Like when I was just starting to play, for some reason, I just naturally split stepped and automatically did carioca steps (in the point), or when a shot came by me, a thought just came to my head automatically, hit that direction.

(I had just hit crosscourt, and down the line was open.. didn't really know much vocab then).

Does that stuff happen to you??

Oh and about Roger and Serena..
    I think Roger has played even better, and I don't really know about Serena.

South Carolina sounds pretty nice, NY.. we get all 4 seasons in one week.
    This summer my parents might let me go to India and train/ play full time there though.
    now wait, are you saying you have impulses to do the wrong thing but never the right thing? as for split steps - their a good thing at times of course. are you talking more about ruts? when you just don't have the touch or courage to go down the line?

Yeah, didnt Roger look amazing this slam? Serena was beat up pretty bad by the end of the two weeks. Bet she takes some real time off.

no,I'm talking about like good impulses.
    Like we were just hitting, and my friend just served to me, and I just like automatically split stepped. And like in footwork, I just like automatically did carioca steps and side shuffles.
    And when I was just like hitting again, when my opponent hit me a crosscourt , and I saw an opening, my head screamed hit down the line.- Thats more of an instinct.

Do you get that sometimes? Or did that happen to you when you started playing?

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    no,I'm talking about like good impulses.
    Like we were just hitting, and my friend just served to me, and I just like automatically split stepped. And like in footwork, I just like automatically did carioca steps and side shuffles.
    And when I was just like hitting again, when my opponent hit me a crosscourt , and I saw an opening, my head screamed hit down the line.- Thats more of an instinct.

Do you get that sometimes? Or did that happen to you when you started playing?
    oh, i know what you're saying. is it instinct or second nature? of course, if it was learned, it was second nature. i try to do what TK1 described a few posts back. that is to just go for the direction of your first gut feeling... then my opponent comes to the net successfully and makes me second guess