Tennis

» Site Navigation

 > FAQ

» Stats

Members: 13,865
Threads: 3,186
Posts: 14,641
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,109)
Welcome to our newest member, EBurdett

» Online Users: 25

1 members and 24 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 601, 08-31-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109

    Serve 'n Volley tips

    Does anyone have any serve 'n volley tips they care to share? It's something I rarely do or practice, so my performance of such suffers. I know if you serve out wide, you need to favor the dtl shot. I also know that it's normally best to serve to the backhand when you plan to s&v. What other basics and/or in depth tricks to making the S&V game work?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    132
    A basic that I have alot of problems with is not running through my volleys. Get to the volley fast, but stop alot of your movement before you hit it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sea Pines, Hilton Head, South Carolina
    Posts
    414
    When serving and volleying, charge hard to the net and then split step before your opponent makes contact so that your feet are chopping forward when they do make contact. You do not split step WHEN they make contact. You must do it before so that you have a base underneath you and you are able to go to the ball. Choose a spot to hit your volley before you serve so that if they hit a good return, you have an idea where you are going to try and put the volley. If they hit a floater or a weak return, then you can decide if you want to change your target that you want to volley to. Having a predetermined spot helps you to be prepared a bit earlier. Remember the split step.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    LA, California
    Posts
    151
    Yes, the split step is vital as is being balanced when you execute the volley. It is useful to have a good kick serve that you can throw out wide to your opponents backhand (or forehand). It is also important to use the momentum of your serve to get to the service line as soon as possible and then beyond it to the net. You want to be as close to the net as is feasible when you execute the volley so the chance of error is minimised. The most important facets you need are:

    1. Good footwork and speed
    2. Good touch at the net
    3. An accurate (preferably powerful) serve
    4. Good court awareness

    Hope this helps
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, Iíll never be as good as a wall."

    "Whoever said, ĎItís not whether you win or lose that counts,í probably lost."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    132
    Careful with the out wide serves though, people like to go down the line, it's kind of a natural passing shot. Try a body serve to jam them for a weak return.

    Hitting 140+mph serves works well for Taylor Dent too, you could try that.
    Last edited by clock-; 02-11-2010 at 06:27 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    thanks everyone i think the serve & volley game would work great against a guy who normally beats me. his return of serve is almost always sliced back (somewhat of a floater) deep to the corners. if i start charging the net, he will be forced a little more with the return, right?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    132
    Higher balls are definitely easier to volley so probably.

    That and sliced balls are slower so you have more time.
    Last edited by clock-; 02-13-2010 at 12:11 PM.

  8. #8
    I've found that the harder I serve, the faster the ball comes back to me. This does not allow you to get into a good volleying position.

    If I am going to play serve and volley, I take a little bit off the serve. That gives me a little more time to get to a good volley position.

    Also, as I have gotten older, my speed has diminished to the point where sometimes I am making half volleys.

    When I practice with the ball machine, I always devote some time to working on half volleys. I've gotten pretty good at it and it can be a very effective shot.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    Higher balls are definitely easier to volley so probably.

    That and sliced balls are slower so you have more time.
    makes sense to me

    Quote Originally Posted by desertgeezer View Post
    I've found that the harder I serve, the faster the ball comes back to me. This does not allow you to get into a good volleying position.

    If I am going to play serve and volley, I take a little bit off the serve. That gives me a little more time to get to a good volley position.

    Also, as I have gotten older, my speed has diminished to the point where sometimes I am making half volleys.

    When I practice with the ball machine, I always devote some time to working on half volleys. I've gotten pretty good at it and it can be a very effective shot.
    good idea. i'll try that as well. thanks

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sea Pines, Hilton Head, South Carolina
    Posts
    414
    I almost forgot the key to the serve and volley. Soft Hands! Very important. If you grip the racquet tightly, you will deaden the shot. You must keep your hands soft so that the racquet can do its work. That is a huge reason people get tennis elbow as well. Too tight of a grip keeps the ball from rebounding properly and you actually lose a lot of punch and motion. Soften your hands and grip and keep your behind down and yourself balanced. If you go in as though you are seated in a chair and volley with soft hands, I assure you that your net game will go up a level or two. Try it and let me know how it works for you.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    I almost forgot the key to the serve and volley. Soft Hands! Very important. If you grip the racquet tightly, you will deaden the shot. You must keep your hands soft so that the racquet can do its work. That is a huge reason people get tennis elbow as well. Too tight of a grip keeps the ball from rebounding properly and you actually lose a lot of punch and motion. Soften your hands and grip and keep your behind down and yourself balanced. If you go in as though you are seated in a chair and volley with soft hands, I assure you that your net game will go up a level or two. Try it and let me know how it works for you.
    Excellent! sure will

  12. #12
    Thanks for some great info!: )

Similar Threads

  1. The Secret to Taylor Dent's Serve and Volley in Super Slo-Mo
    By GBAtennis in forum Tennis Tips and Instruction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 08:03 PM
  2. Tennis Writer who loves the serve and volley game
    By mahaika in forum New TW Member Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 02:35 AM
  3. Tips on how to ACE your tennis serve!
    By king61485 in forum Tennis Tips and Instruction
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 06:31 PM
  4. Serve and Volley troubles...
    By digidigidigi in forum Tennis Tips and Instruction
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
  5. Tips on my backhand? and Serve?
    By lilaznshorty in forum Tennis Tips and Instruction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.0.1