» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 454

0 members and 454 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Serve 'n Volley tips

Does anyone have any serve 'n volley tips they care to share? It's something I rarely do or practice, so my performance of such suffers. I know if you serve out wide, you need to favor the dtl shot. I also know that it's normally best to serve to the backhand when you plan to s&v. What other basics and/or in depth tricks to making the S&V game work?

A basic that I have alot of problems with is not running through my volleys. Get to the volley fast, but stop alot of your movement before you hit it.

When serving and volleying, charge hard to the net and then split step before your opponent makes contact so that your feet are chopping forward when they do make contact. You do not split step WHEN they make contact. You must do it before so that you have a base underneath you and you are able to go to the ball. Choose a spot to hit your volley before you serve so that if they hit a good return, you have an idea where you are going to try and put the volley. If they hit a floater or a weak return, then you can decide if you want to change your target that you want to volley to. Having a predetermined spot helps you to be prepared a bit earlier. Remember the split step.

Yes, the split step is vital as is being balanced when you execute the volley. It is useful to have a good kick serve that you can throw out wide to your opponents backhand (or forehand). It is also important to use the momentum of your serve to get to the service line as soon as possible and then beyond it to the net. You want to be as close to the net as is feasible when you execute the volley so the chance of error is minimised. The most important facets you need are:

1. Good footwork and speed
    2. Good touch at the net
    3. An accurate (preferably powerful) serve
    4. Good court awareness

Hope this helps
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Careful with the out wide serves though, people like to go down the line, it's kind of a natural passing shot. Try a body serve to jam them for a weak return.

Hitting 140+mph serves works well for Taylor Dent too, you could try that.
    Last edited by clock-; 02-11-2010 at 06:27 PM.

thanks everyone i think the serve & volley game would work great against a guy who normally beats me. his return of serve is almost always sliced back (somewhat of a floater) deep to the corners. if i start charging the net, he will be forced a little more with the return, right?

Higher balls are definitely easier to volley so probably.

That and sliced balls are slower so you have more time.
    Last edited by clock-; 02-13-2010 at 12:11 PM.

I've found that the harder I serve, the faster the ball comes back to me. This does not allow you to get into a good volleying position.

If I am going to play serve and volley, I take a little bit off the serve. That gives me a little more time to get to a good volley position.

Also, as I have gotten older, my speed has diminished to the point where sometimes I am making half volleys.

When I practice with the ball machine, I always devote some time to working on half volleys. I've gotten pretty good at it and it can be a very effective shot.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    Higher balls are definitely easier to volley so probably.

That and sliced balls are slower so you have more time.
    makes sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by desertgeezer View Post
    I've found that the harder I serve, the faster the ball comes back to me. This does not allow you to get into a good volleying position.

If I am going to play serve and volley, I take a little bit off the serve. That gives me a little more time to get to a good volley position.

Also, as I have gotten older, my speed has diminished to the point where sometimes I am making half volleys.

When I practice with the ball machine, I always devote some time to working on half volleys. I've gotten pretty good at it and it can be a very effective shot.
    good idea. i'll try that as well. thanks

I almost forgot the key to the serve and volley. Soft Hands! Very important. If you grip the racquet tightly, you will deaden the shot. You must keep your hands soft so that the racquet can do its work. That is a huge reason people get tennis elbow as well. Too tight of a grip keeps the ball from rebounding properly and you actually lose a lot of punch and motion. Soften your hands and grip and keep your behind down and yourself balanced. If you go in as though you are seated in a chair and volley with soft hands, I assure you that your net game will go up a level or two. Try it and let me know how it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    I almost forgot the key to the serve and volley. Soft Hands! Very important. If you grip the racquet tightly, you will deaden the shot. You must keep your hands soft so that the racquet can do its work. That is a huge reason people get tennis elbow as well. Too tight of a grip keeps the ball from rebounding properly and you actually lose a lot of punch and motion. Soften your hands and grip and keep your behind down and yourself balanced. If you go in as though you are seated in a chair and volley with soft hands, I assure you that your net game will go up a level or two. Try it and let me know how it works for you.
    Excellent! sure will

Thanks for some great info!: )