» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 736

0 members and 736 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

What makes a good return?

As the question says, what makes a good return?
    I'm thinking of developing mine so i can follow up on the net already after the first stroke (the return).

EDIT: I got another question too on my mind. You guys know while playing serve volley, you get lots of those half volleys that is really hard. Is there any good way to train on them? Any exercises?

- ERIK
    Last edited by Erik; 02-26-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Good return.... any return that takes the server out of his comfort zone.
    Half volleys... practice makes better than no practice. S/V all the time. Have your practice partner feed you low volleys and halves while you're standing at the service line.

A good return is low enough or fast enough that the server can't come in for an easy volley, and lands deep enough that they can't step in and wail on it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    Good return.... any return that takes the server out of his comfort zone.
    Half volleys... practice makes better than no practice. S/V all the time. Have your practice partner feed you low volleys and halves while you're standing at the service line.
    Good point. When I drag out the ball machine, I always practice hitting half volleys. It doesn't take long before you can get good at it. I was a serve and volley player when I was younger. I don't play S&V in singles anymore but I still do in doubles. Not being as fast as I was, I sometimes have to hit a lot of half volleys. You don't have to hit them hard but you do have to hit them deep. Learn to do that and you and your doubles partner will be tough to beat.

You need to find a practice partner and work on playing points exactly like you would want to play them in a match. Live ball drills are really the only way to get used to and comfortable with getting to the net. One of the best ways to get better is to have your opponent play only one half of the court and he can hit it anywhere, but you must play it to his half of the court only. Is that tough? Very. Does it help you get direction on hitting your volleys to a certain area? Very much so. After playing a few 10 point tiebreakers like that, play straight up points where there is no handicap. Learning to hit for targets in the court will help all of your strokes. As for the half volley, keep your back straight and your butt low and over the balls of your feet. Don't get too on your toes as you will be leaning over and that will cause you to stick it in the net. Start out a meter or so behind the service line and have your partner hit passing shots at your feet. You can work on your half volley as well as your low volleys as you move yourself into the net. Remember, don't just work on the half volley. Work on getting yourself immediately into better position so that you can hit a better volley. Be balanced and have soft hands on your volleys (soft hands means don't grip the racquet too tight) and half volleys. Firm your grip up on contact, but don't grip it so tight that the racquet can't do its job.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    As the question says, what makes a good return?
    I'm thinking of developing mine so i can follow up on the net already after the first stroke (the return).

EDIT: I got another question too on my mind. You guys know while playing serve volley, you get lots of those half volleys that is really hard. Is there any good way to train on them? Any exercises?

- ERIK