» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 448

0 members and 448 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Welcome to the forum DaBouncer.

I have used the method you just described a few times with success. Oddly enough, the small changes method works as well for me. I think the best time to use the exaggerated method would be when the change is to something miniscule.

This can be a great way to get a beginner to learn a new stroke. However, once one is in the upper levels, they will have to learn these minute details in order to be able to play up with better players. Most players only get demoralized when they are not taught the stroke properly and the coach doesn't fully understand how to get the point and stroke across to the player. The best way, by far, is to stop competitive play and work on the new stroke and then slowly bring it into a live ball situation and then into match play. It's all about feel when it comes to a stroke and when one is being competitive, feel is the last thing on the players mind. Lawn Tennis, make sure your contact point is out in front of you. Usually, when a player with a western or semi-western forehand starts having issues with too much bend, it is because the contact point is too much to the side. The follow through will be easier once your correct contact point is established.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBouncer View Post
    [QUOTE]What works best for me is to make gradual changes. I have seen too many coaches demoralise players by telling them to change too much too soon.

Another way to change a stroke, or anything for that matter, is to exaggerate the new motion. I know that goes against what you said, but for some people it makes sense. It then makes the desired motion seem not so radical, as any change to a grooved stroke, even minor, feels like a really big deal. I got this from Dan Millman's book "The Inner Athlete" and use it with students with a lot of success. It seems to accelerate the learning process for some people. For instance, to get someone to use topspin, I have them stand at the baseline and try to hit the fence after one bounce in the court. Do I want them to hit every ball like this? No, but by exaggerating this one thing, it makes a normal topspin stroke much easier, relatively speaking, and it doesn't seem so radical.
    I also like this method of teaching because it does away with all that micro-managing that was mentioned earlier, and just confuses the poor little brain![/QUOTE]

TK - make sure your contact point is out in front of you. Usually, when a player with a western or semi-western forehand starts having issues with too much bend, it is because the contact point is too much to the side. The follow through will be easier once your correct contact point is established.

wow that will be tough to change! my contact is only a little in front of me at best. do you suggest a completely straight arm?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    TK - make sure your contact point is out in front of you. Usually, when a player with a western or semi-western forehand starts having issues with too much bend, it is because the contact point is too much to the side. The follow through will be easier once your correct contact point is established.

wow that will be tough to change! my contact is only a little in front of me at best. do you suggest a completely straight arm?
    No. There is a slight bend in the arm on contact, but it is slight. Not a big amount at all. Watch that video again and use the pause feature to get an idea......

Okay cool. I actually won a match today against a legit 3.5 despite the transition. I will upload a video soon of my new forehand once I get some consistency with it. I always knew something was wrong. At times I felt like I was almost punching at the ball with my forehand! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    How long does it approximately take to change a natural thing (that you have been doing for a few years), to another thing that you want to feel natural. Lets say you have this weak forehand with bad technique but it feels quite good cause you have been doing it for so long, and i change it to something that looks good, good technique and everything. How long does it take for the new forehand to become a natural thing?

- Erik
    I changed my Backhand technique and it took a bout 3 weeks of practice about 3x a week to assimilate the new form into my playing.

upload it for me so that I can see your contact point as well as your initial pivot and follow through. I will give you some suggestions (if any) to help you. The higher the level, the longer it takes to incorporate a new stroke. The reason is is that it takes better shots against better opponents and if you have an obvious weakness, a better opponent is going to really attack it and break it down. Then you have no confidence and then you start doubting yourself. Thus, the new stroke is either cast aside or you develop a hitch in it to compensate for your inability to hit it in a pressure situation. It then becomes a liability and everything goes to hell in a hand basket from there. So, if you plan on making a change, you really go out there and train it HARD until you are able to REALLY hit it while you are in a live ball situation. That is why it is good to work with a pro because it takes the competition out of the learning process and the pro keeps you hitting a correct stroke. And don't go to a pro that is going to tell you how great it looks when it looks bad. Find one that really makes you hit a solid, strong shot and doesn't just say good shot to everything.

Okay, I will record the warm up of my next match and upload it on youtube. There will certainly be other things you see I do wrong. For instance, my free hand tends to remove itself from the shot at times, and it just plain looks mechanical. Give me a little time and I'll have it up here. Did you ever find the footage that lady took of you?

I haven't seen her lately. It has been crazy for the last 3 weeks around here. Two weeks of spring break players coming in for training and then the Heritage golf tournament is going on right now as I type this. It has been looney around here. I should see her this upcoming week and see if she has that video still. If not, I will ask her to redo the video and I will upload it.......I also may get her to do the backhand as well.......

Plus you had the WTA event in Charleston. You know you're only problem with re-recording yourself - you need to find somebody who can handle the pace of your groundies. Of course, you could always just have somebody feed you balls.