» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 508

0 members and 508 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Ok wait a minute! why does Erik get this free session? jk. Seriously though, i should post a video of my forehand. it's a mess right now. i used to have a very good sem-closed to closed stance forehand. i switched to an open stance about six months ago and still have not found the same rhythm i once had. Erik, take TK up on his offer, so all of us can get some input from a former pro.
    It is probably in the loading stage that you are having issues. If you step out with your right foot (if you are right handed), the toe of your right foot should be pointed toward the fence. This will allow you to turn your hips and shoulders properly and load your weight onto that right leg. You will then drive the hips into the ball. Belly button finishes toward the target and the hand speed is high (accelerate into the ball). The hands come back together at the finish of the stroke (at least get them near each other as the free hand needs to be up and near the freehand's shoulder)and the racquet tip goes to your back for a full follow through. The key for you is probably the big shoulder and hip turn at the beginning and keeping your head still on contact. Loading the weight on that back/outside leg (right leg for right handed player) is all important. Remember that leg's toe placement as well....

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Hey buddy. There is no time frame for someone to learn a stroke. Just go out and practice it and once you feel comfortable and confident, then that is the amount of time it will take you to learn it. There is no set rule. Stop the competition if you seriously want to change your stroke. Otherwise, you will lose all confidence and you will lose both strokes. Get me a video of your forehand and I will tell you what you need to do to improve it. Free of charge! (I normally charge $90 an hour for that!) Also, save your cash and come over here and train for a week with us! I just finished talking with a good friend of mine from Sweden (Rikard Bergh) who was top 10 on the ATP doubles tour and played 15 straight Wimbledons. I used to coach with him in Florida. He lives in the States now. Do you know of him?
    Okey!! Sounds awsome! I will! Thats kinda what i have been doing, trying to change it and in the same time play tournaments.
    Hmm, i don't think i know that Rikard, never heard of him:S. Acctually my school is paying for my driver license so i will have cash over. I might come down in the summer, but i want to go to french open too and watch the pros playing, thats always been a dream.

Btw, how am i going to send the video?

Wowowowow! How much you learn when you are filming urself while playing. Brett i need to send you the videos so you can do something about my depressing forehand. Na, its not that bad but one thing i've seen now that i had no idea about was that the arm that i thought was straight in the contact zone isnt straight, its bent. Anyways you'll see when you get it. But do you want me to send one clip from each day, i started out 3 days ago, then you can see the different (if there are any lol).

I could zip them in a folder for you, but where do i send it?
    Last edited by Erik; 03-30-2010 at 08:21 AM.

It is probably in the loading stage that you are having issues. If you step out with your right foot (if you are right handed), the toe of your right foot should be pointed toward the fence. This will allow you to turn your hips and shoulders properly and load your weight onto that right leg. You will then drive the hips into the ball. Belly button finishes toward the target and the hand speed is high (accelerate into the ball). The hands come back together at the finish of the stroke (at least get them near each other as the free hand needs to be up and near the freehand's shoulder)and the racquet tip goes to your back for a full follow through. The key for you is probably the big shoulder and hip turn at the beginning and keeping your head still on contact. Loading the weight on that back/outside leg (right leg for right handed player) is all important. Remember that leg's toe placement as well....
    Great feedback TK. I needed to hear all of that. I'm going to try this out tonight. The reason I believe you've nailed my problem: I've always had to make a conscious effort to turn my shoulders and hips. Now as long as I point my right foot at the fence, this should be no problem. I will let you know how it goes; thank you.

Great feedback TK. I needed to hear all of that. I'm going to try this out tonight. The reason I believe you've nailed my problem: I've always had to make a conscious effort to turn my shoulders and hips. Now as long as I point my right foot at the fence, this should be no problem. I will let you know how it goes; thank you.
    Good luck. Use that same leg to push off into the ball.......

okay, i'm heading out after the federer berdych match.

Came back here just to refresh myself on TK's forehand preperation tips. Placing the right foot parallel to the baseline is certainly something a little different from my natural foot placement in the open stance. I've hit some pro like forehands but mostly unforced errors. Loading the outside leg sure does help with balance.

Came back here just to refresh myself on TK's forehand preperation tips. Placing the right foot parallel to the baseline is certainly something a little different from my natural foot placement in the open stance. I've hit some pro like forehands but mostly unforced errors. Loading the outside leg sure does help with balance.
    Watch Mantilla's back foot on his forehand. HIs right foot. Watch him load his weight on it and then push into the ball while having his foot parallel to the baseline.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLe4HBydsJY

I see it; nice demonstration. That is one solid forehand. I'm guessing you hit with Mantilla at some point. Looked to be a good match as well. You know what would be the best TK - video of your forehand. Is there any footage on youtube of your game?.. or even just something you uploaded yourself?

btw, I'm starting to feel it. The hardest part for me now is preparing to early which results in misjudging the bounce. It's been windy lately which doesn't help.

I see it; nice demonstration. That is one solid forehand. I'm guessing you hit with Mantilla at some point. Looked to be a good match as well. You know what would be the best TK - video of your forehand. Is there any footage on youtube of your game?.. or even just something you uploaded yourself?

btw, I'm starting to feel it. The hardest part for me now is preparing to early which results in misjudging the bounce. It's been windy lately which doesn't help.
    I actually do have some video that this Italian female coach took of me. I will ask her for it. As for preparation, most people think you take the racquet back, but if you watch, it starts with a turn of the trunk area. The racquet is still in front of the chest with both hands, but the body is turned, so the racquet is automatically back! You use your feet to adjust to the ball. Then you start your swing. Just by being in ready position and turning starts the stroke out. Everything goes together as one. Watch the video again and see if you understand what I mean by the turn and how the hands stay together on the first part of the stroke. It will eventually make complete since........

Yes do that man. It's seems to make more sense when you're able to self-demonstrate. I guess cause you have the most understanding of your own game.

The remote racquet take back is a sign of amateur tennis. I'm working on that as well in particular during the return of serve. A tennis partner of mine told me yesterday that I need to stop changing my game. He said "just play tennis like I do; why worry about technique, practice is all you need". I told him how I felt like I needed form to progress much further and he disagreed. The bottom line is he will be left behind soon. I appreciate your assistance again TK.

Continuously watch that forehand on youtube. You can have variations, but the principles are the same. Load the weight and keep the swing speed up. Your tennis partner will very much be left behind. We make sure that we have our juniors playing with good technique so that they can create a consistent, solid stroke. If it breaks down, they know what they need to do to get the stroke back. You need to work on hitting the same stroke over and over and making sure the footwork is taking you to the ball so that you can create the same stroke over and over. It really is about proper movement and technique. As you get better and better, it becomes second nature. That is when you start beating people like your partner in 20 minutes. Be patient and stick with it. Decide how you want to hit the ball and do it.

Yes do that man. It's seems to make more sense when you're able to self-demonstrate. I guess cause you have the most understanding of your own game.

The remote racquet take back is a sign of amateur tennis. I'm working on that as well in particular during the return of serve. A tennis partner of mine told me yesterday that I need to stop changing my game. He said "just play tennis like I do; why worry about technique, practice is all you need". I told him how I felt like I needed form to progress much further and he disagreed. The bottom line is he will be left behind soon. I appreciate your assistance again TK.

Continuously watch that forehand on youtube. You can have variations, but the principles are the same. Load the weight and keep the swing speed up. Your tennis partner will very much be left behind. We make sure that we have our juniors playing with good technique so that they can create a consistent, solid stroke. If it breaks down, they know what they need to do to get the stroke back. You need to work on hitting the same stroke over and over and making sure the footwork is taking you to the ball so that you can create the same stroke over and over. It really is about proper movement and technique. As you get better and better, it becomes second nature. That is when you start beating people like your partner in 20 minutes. Be patient and stick with it. Decide how you want to hit the ball and do it.
    Watch the video over and over till it's memorized like a favorite song, or basically eat tennis, sleep tennis, drink Coca-cola. Seriously, I do dream about tennis (not cause I'm addicted) but cause it really helps to always be visualizing proper form and all.

LOL

I recorded some video of my forehand today. The bend at the elbow is far to great. I'm just getting to close to the ball and seems to be my preferred shot. Any suggestions as to how to extend my are out a little further? I think the rest of my shot is good aside from the part where you're to catch the racquet with your free arm upon completion of the follow-through.

[QUOTE]What works best for me is to make gradual changes. I have seen too many coaches demoralise players by telling them to change too much too soon. [/QUOTE]
    Another way to change a stroke, or anything for that matter, is to exaggerate the new motion. I know that goes against what you said, but for some people it makes sense. It then makes the desired motion seem not so radical, as any change to a grooved stroke, even minor, feels like a really big deal. I got this from Dan Millman's book "The Inner Athlete" and use it with students with a lot of success. It seems to accelerate the learning process for some people. For instance, to get someone to use topspin, I have them stand at the baseline and try to hit the fence after one bounce in the court. Do I want them to hit every ball like this? No, but by exaggerating this one thing, it makes a normal topspin stroke much easier, relatively speaking, and it doesn't seem so radical.
    I also like this method of teaching because it does away with all that micro-managing that was mentioned earlier, and just confuses the poor little brain!