» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 682

0 members and 682 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Help Selecting Racquet:Babolat AeroPro Drive / Control or Other

Hi,

Unfortunately I live away from any decent pro shop or tennis equipment stores, and I phoned the local stores and neither have either of these racquets in store.

I am currently playing with an old (orange / white / black) Babolat - think it might be one of the originals, cost about $150 at the local SportsPower, came with a big tennis ball, was when they were breaking into the retail market.

I am looking to upgrade my racquets and was looking at either the AeroPro Drive or the AeroPro Control, leaning towards the control. Unfortunately I am not able to give either a test hit, so will be buying blind (I am from the Shoalhaven Area).

I am not a quite decent player and am 17. My first serve is usually flat or sometimes sliced, my second serve is topspin. Topspin forehand, Topspin Backhand (single handed), sometimes slice. I use the continental grip on volleys. Usually hit the right spot in my racquet.

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions about either one of these, or a similar racquet for my style? I do quite like a bit of weight in my stick, and the smaller head size does not bother me (but I hate oversized heads).

Any tips about either is much appreciated!

Thankyou, Alex

Babolat

The two frames are pretty similar in terms of specs:

http://www.nothingbuttennis.com/html/babolatchart.html

So you are probably fine with either one. The Aeropro Drive is a hit with high school players.

wcr Guest
    http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BAPD.html

You can demo the rackets from tennis-warehouse.

tried them

I tried them a few month ago.
    The only significant difference is in the weight of the racket and balance.
    Both are great (power and control) when you hit in the sweetspot that I find closer to the throat than other rackets.
    I will say the aeropro control is a bit heavier and maybe more for a baseline player (it's afterall Nadal's choice, with still a lot of weights added on the head as I saw).
    The Drive is lighter and probably marketed towards offensive players.
    Since rackets were much heavier in the 80's, when I changed my broken one, I finally didn't buy the babolat aeropro but a pure drive roddick (closer to what i'm used to). Being a wilson addicted, they were those I like best with the Pure drive that I offered my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by danquest View Post
    ...I will say the aeropro control is a bit heavier and maybe more for a baseline player (it's afterall Nadal's choice, with still a lot of weights added on the head as I saw)...
    Correction...it is in fact the Aeropro Drive that is Nadal's.

Also I personally would have inclined to the Aeropro Drive over the other two but that's only because it fits my style. But you know, your style, your choice!

The two rivals

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBlom View Post
    Hi,

Unfortunately I live away from any decent pro shop or tennis equipment stores, and I phoned the local stores and neither have either of these racquets in store.

I am currently playing with an old (orange / white / black) Babolat - think it might be one of the originals, cost about $150 at the local SportsPower, came with a big tennis ball, was when they were breaking into the retail market.

I am looking to upgrade my racquets and was looking at either the AeroPro Drive or the AeroPro Control, leaning towards the control. Unfortunately I am not able to give either a test hit, so will be buying blind (I am from the Shoalhaven Area).

I am not a quite decent player and am 17. My first serve is usually flat or sometimes sliced, my second serve is topspin. Topspin forehand, Topspin Backhand (single handed), sometimes slice. I use the continental grip on volleys. Usually hit the right spot in my racquet.

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions about either one of these, or a similar racquet for my style? I do quite like a bit of weight in my stick, and the smaller head size does not bother me (but I hate oversized heads).

Any tips about either is much appreciated!

Thankyou, Alex
    from what you said, it seems like the babolat control would work best. however, the two are very similiar but the control has a bit more weight which you said you like more. but like what the others said, you can demo them at tenniswarehouse.com

I would not suggest Babolat.
    I have used Babolat for two years now, but I cannot say I am satisfied with it.
    Most of their rackets are extremely heavy and pressure the arm/wrist a lot.
    The only Babolat I think is actually comfortable is the Aero Pro Drive:http://www.racquetmaster.co.uk/image...IVE-JUNIOR.jpg
    ~I would suggest either Head, Wilson or Volkl. I've been using them for a while and they have very good rackets. A particular racket I would suggest would be this one from Head:http://www.doittennis.com/images/lg/...racquet-09.jpg