» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 520

0 members and 520 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nocoast Guest

Is Roger federer the best player right now?

The men's game is too inconsistent at the minute. At last week's Masters only 3 of the 16 seeds got beyond the 2nd round. Federer has not played particularly well since Wimbledon. Roddick is probably the player in best form at the minute but does he have the temperament to win a Slam? I only hope the US open is a fair contest. Whilst Henman gets great help from the crowd at Wimbledon at least they're fair to his opponents. I only hope the New York crowd give everyone a fair chance. Somehow I doubt it.
    It will be interesting to see how Ferrero goes.He's not played that well since winning the French but overall I rate him the No.1.

It all depends which Roger Federer turns up. If he's on form then he is the World No.1 and no one will beat him but he still has to provr he can maintain the play which won Wimbledon.

nocoast Guest
    chris, that was a really good answer. but Roger Federer has the best all around game in tennis right now. There's no doubt about that.

GeneS Guest
    Chris hit the nail on the head, depends which Federer shows up.??? Granted that technically he doesn't have any major flaws, BUT, he needs to change his strategies sometimes against different players (eg Nalbandian). He should try better angled drop shots, come in more, etc., anything to throw off an opponent and open up the rest of his available resources.

Just my .02, IMO.

Gene

akhc Guest
    For sure.. he needs to learn to vary his game sometimes but he certainly has all the tools to be the most complete player of his contemporaries.

Let's not forget that Sampras took 2+ years after his first slam before he won another. Federer is cut from the same cloth and may well need the time to mature fully. Only time will tell if he will fulfill the potential he has though.

Mpol Guest

Hi to all, i'm new here!!! Hope to get to know yall, i've been looking for a site like this for a while!

Federer is, in my opinion, the best player when in top form. He showed us this at the ATP Masters cup! HIs ability to play the game is at time breath taking, he's like a magician. He's a great blend of both Macenroe and Sampras, but too a lesser degree. The only thing stopping Federer becomming one of the best of his generation is his mental game. He needs to become a fighter and needs to be a little more concsistant at the Slams!

Best player

All I can say is, watching the Australian Open round 1 right now, it's VERY hard to pick atop tennis player - they is some brilliant tennis being played by many of the big names - games I hope you get an opportunity to watch.

Federer: 35-1 since Wimbledon; has only lost 4 sets(66-4;perfect Australian Open) since the beginning of October.

What a stupid thread.

Well Federer has broken a 30-year record to become the sport's longest serving world number one. Hes' been at the top of the player rankings February 2, 2004 - that's a massive 161 weeks.

What's scary is he's still learning and getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by fedroger View Post
    Federer: 35-1 since Wimbledon; has only lost 4 sets(66-4;perfect Australian Open) since the beginning of October.

What a stupid thread.
    Before you call this a stupid thread, you might want to check the date it was posted. In August 2003 this was a very legitimate thread.

Some people

Yes, he is definitely the best player right now.

Not only is he the best player, but the most talented the game has ever seen. We are so lucky to have him in our generation!
    www.tennisguru.com
    Get Re-Strung!

I will not call him the best player until he can beat Nadal consistently; and I do not see that happening unless some major catastrophic event takes place in Nada's life. Nadal is stronger now than last year; he has a 7-3 record against Federer, with one or two of those wins on hard courts....so Nadal gets my vote.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nocoast View Post
    chris, that was a really good answer. but Roger Federer has the best all around game in tennis right now. There's no doubt about that.
    Yes, i agree, day & day out, it's Roger !
    HIT IT BACK !!!

Which federer shows up? That cannot be a precedent as to who is the best player, rankings say Federer end of story.

Its like saying: A bad football beats a good one therefore they are better because they turned up despite being way down the ladder