» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 713

0 members and 713 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

What's Wrong With Murray?

To some, Murray's recent below expectation performance is more or less an aberration, and to others, it's a fact that the Scot has finally come to terms with his real shortcomings. Find out more about the Murray's struggles in dealing with the form and criticism...!

But to the avid English fans' dismay, the WAIT is still on. Murray' shot to stardom turned out to be as shortlived as a flash in the pan. Last year, the Scot raised British hopes by reaching the semifinals at Wimbledon, only to bow down unceremoniously to a resurgent Andy Roddick. The truth is, everytime Murray nears a title match stage in a major event, expectations rise to unfathomable heights. So far, he has neither been able to cope with them, nor lived upto them......

Read complete article, click here....

For me the problems that Murray has right now are threefold...

1. Murray took the decision to dump Brad Gilbert and to the same extent Mark Petchey. He then placed around him Team Murray. The problem that he had with his previous coaches was that both wanted Murray to be more aggressive. This clearly was not the route Murray wanted to take. I get the sense that Team Murray suited what he wanted to do in the game. When you look at some of Murray's best performances he has played in an aggressive style such as his two defeats of Nadal in the USO semi and AO quarters. I get a sense that Team Murray are simply 'yes' men who do not wish to challenge the status quo. Are they the only people in the world that can see that Murray needs to develop his aggressive playing style. He has the talent to play this way and his defensive style could then be an excellent back up for those off days.

2. Murray has had a lot of success against Federer in tournaments below GS level. This i feel has led to him believing that his defensive style will beat Federer whether it is over 3 or 5 sets. Also the article spoke about technical issues in relation to him being a counter-puncher. I think it was very evident during the AO final were the main weakness is... the forehand! He has tried to adopt a Federer/Nadal style looped forehand but the problem with this is his version does not have nearly as much spin as Nadal's which kicks up off the surface and he tends to hit this very short when going cross court... straight into the strength of Federer and this was fully exploited in the AO final. You could almost predict when Federer was going to move in court and unleash a forehand off a mid court ball from the forehand wing of Murray.

3. Mentality! Plain and simple Murray has been scarred by his two GS final losses. Does he truly believe he can beat Federer when the time comes! Also is he enjoying the defensive style as much as he used to? I think the answer to both of these questions is NO! Its at a time of a slump that coaches really earn their money and i do fear that Team Murray do not have strength of character to achieve this.

I for one am a massive Murray fan and feel it is harsh to say he has underachieved. He's trying to win a GS during an era dominated by Federer and Nadal. Since 2004 there have been only 4 other winners of GS titles (Safin, Guadio, Djorkovic and Del Potro). Murray needs to put his performances into perspective. I am confident that he can win a GS playing the way he does right now. However if he wants to win multiple GS titles then he's going to have to concede his current ethos and find himself a no nonsense coach... Brad Gilbert anybody?

As a fellow Brit i have to say Murray has been far better for my health than watching Henman play in his prime at least i can usually relax during the first few rounds