» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 518

0 members and 518 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Advice please

Advice please

Hi
    I am 23 and need to start tennis from the scrath as I have been developing some interest in it for quite some time.
    I have a huge desire and passion for tennis and I am sure I can give this game full focus in upcoming years.
    The amount of effort I can put is, roughly say 2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week at the start and ofcourse more in the future as I see myself developing.

What sort of expectation I can have in terms of what level I can reach as either pro player or county/national level player.
    To give you an idea about my current situation, I am IT engineer earning around £60k a year but I intend to give up my current profession if I can earn my living through tennis.
    I would like to know what are the earning expectations at different levels of tennis ?

Thanks in advance for your kind advices !!!

Regards,

Hello, welcome to the forum.

There is a former pro on this forum who was ranked well in the top 400 in the world. He had to give up tennis simply because the money wasn't enough. In order to make tennis your living and a decent one, I would imagine you would need to be ranked greater than 175. It's not until the 75 area when tennis makes your 'rich'.

I don't know what tennis is like in the UK but you can probably get to a pretty high level in a couple of years providing you get some good training. It sounds like you have the dedication and money but at 23 and starting from scratch time is working against you. Alot of the current pros started before age 10 giving them a huge edge in experience. You probably will never be able to live off tennis but give it a shot ambition goes a long way. Remember if it was easy everyone would be doing it so don't have too great of expectations.
    Last edited by clock-; 05-06-2010 at 05:35 AM.

For sure, you can give it your best shot.
    Unfortunately, your best shot is just not enough time per day.
    Also, as stated, you're starting too late to make more than 1/10 what you're making now.
    And you'd have to be, RIGHT NOW, one of the best athletes in the world.
    Devoting 2-3 hours a day is no practice. Morel likely, 4-6 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. You barely get warmed up with your short hours.
    I think with consistent good coaching, given your time parameters, you can make 4.5 levels, maybe even play in some 5.5 or Open tourneys, within 4 years of uninteruped practice and match play.
    Unfortunately, to make more than a couple days wages at your pay scale, you'd have to win at the 6.5 level.

travel

Thanks for your replies.
    One more question I have is regarding travel in this career.
    I wonder how much travel a tennis player does if he is competing regularly.
    Am I correct to understand that if I want to compete regularly and try to move up the ladder of rankings/points, I have to be travelling regularly like a month in UK , month in Italy, month in Egypt and so on ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hello View Post
    Thanks for your replies.
    One more question I have is regarding travel in this career.
    I wonder how much travel a tennis player does if he is competing regularly.
    Am I correct to understand that if I want to compete regularly and try to move up the ladder of rankings/points, I have to be travelling regularly like a month in UK , month in Italy, month in Egypt and so on ?

Thanks
    You're looking at being in a different city every week. Some are close together others are half a world apart. Probably one of the most travel intense careers out there.

Hello, I am that former tour player that Lawn Tennis was talking about. At your age, learn to play tennis for fun and begin playing local tournaments. The way tennis is nowadays, you will know if you have the ability to be a professional by the time you are 14 or so years old. The money has turned it into that. It is a tremendously tough career and being talented is not enough nor is being an extremely hard worker. You have to have both of those traits going for you in today's tennis world. Traveling is weekly. You may be in London one week and then flying to Indonesia the next. You train all the time and you take breaks when you need to in order to keep your sanity as well as your health. You will need to be superior physical shape and in order to be a top player, you will have to be even fitter than that. It's tough even for those who have played since they were 5 years old. Play the game for fun is my advice. Don't give up your day job. I don't believe it will possible to start the game at your age and become a touring professional. Your best bet is to go watch a professional tournament so that you can get an idea of just how high the level of competition really is.