» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 514

0 members and 514 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip Size

Grip Size

I've read and heard commentary during tournaments recently about the trend of pro players using smaller grips in relation to hand size. It seems that most of these are heavy top spin dealers. Is it really that much of an advantage to have a racquet rolling loosly around in your hand to develop that additional amount of top spin?

i was thinking about this the other day. one the contrary and oddly enough, a larger grip size will give one a more closed racquet face for a given grip. try it once. as far as the racquet spinning in the hand - idk.

If the racquet was rolling around loosely it would probably fly out of their hands returning serve. I think they go with the smaller grip because it lets them use their wrists more.

For a few years I've been using 4 5/8 grip size which feels rather comfortable in my hands. I think that is the most important thing to me. It does make sense that the smaller grip helps top spinners use their wrist more and perhaps change forehand to backhand grip more quickly. That was my first thought anyway. Perhaps some of these guys really have small hands. Who knows.

i use a 4 3/8 but i might get a 4 1/4, because my coach told me to try his racquet, 4 1/4, and i had more control...maybe my hand shrunk? larger grip = more stiff, and better for flattish hitting. i can definitely pronate my wrist more with a 4 1/4, but i suppose its personal preference.

I actually was using a 4 5/8 and was comfortable but I changed to a 4 1/4, mainly because I got a cheap used volkl dnx 10, but it definitely improved my range of forearm motion. It makes pronating on serves easier so I started leaning more towards the eastern backhand side of continental. It's a bit off topic but everything TK said about volkl racquets is true.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    I actually was using a 4 5/8 and was comfortable but I changed to a 4 1/4, mainly because I got a cheap used volkl dnx 10, but it definitely improved my range of forearm motion. It makes pronating on serves easier so I started leaning more towards the eastern backhand side of continental. It's a bit off topic but everything TK said about volkl racquets is true.
    I've mentioned my preference on racquet choice and don't mean to be repetitive. Does the racquet feel like an extension to your hand rather than a tool? I love to feel the ball with the racquet as though the touch sense were integrated in the racquet. My current set up, Head Liquidmetal Radical with Microfibre control strings, works; however I always wonder how much better it can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    I've mentioned my preference on racquet choice and don't mean to be repetitive. Does the racquet feel like an extension to your hand rather than a tool? I love to feel the ball with the racquet as though the touch sense were integrated in the racquet. My current set up, Head Liquidmetal Radical with Microfibre control strings, works; however I always wonder how much better it can get.
    I'm wondering too. This is the reason for the original post. I'm in the process of looking for a new racquet but most of the demos you can get have 4 3/8 grip so it feels odd to begin with since I've been using 4 5/8 and it makes it difficult to get a true read and feel. I usually buy 2-3 of the same racquet (string breaker) so I want to be sure before hauling off and getting something that I'm not going to be happy with and wasting $$.

and to top that off, it may not be your string or string tension preference. tenniswarehouse.com does a great job at reviewing, but nothing beats the personal experience. something you may be able to do - ask the tennis partners you hit with if you can switch racquets with them just to test drive. this is how i've experienced the majority of mine.

I feel like it maximizes my chances of making good shots consistently . You can definitely feel the ball, but it's much easier on the arm than my old Microgel Extreme Pro.

i planned to check it out just cause TK advised it. now i have all the more reason to splurge

and to top that off, it may not be your string or string tension preference. tenniswarehouse.com does a great job at reviewing, but nothing beats the personal experience. something you may be able to do - ask the tennis partners you hit with if you can switch racquets with them just to test drive. this is how i've experienced the majority of mine.
    No kidding. Last ones we got were uber tight and some looked like they had been through 20 rounds with a ball machine. I still have the same problem borrowing a racquet since most use 4 3/8 grip but I have gone that rout many times. I'm seriously considering the Prince 03 Black. I've used my daughters even though she has a 4 1/4 grip. It can generate tons of spin and delivers blows like a hammer. I like the weight, string pattern and head size quite a bit plus it has really good feel. Still it's hard to get a complete read on the thing with a grip that small.
    Last edited by Architeuthis; 05-13-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Quote Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
    No kidding. Last ones we got were uber tight and some looked like they had been through 20 rounds with a ball machine. I still have the same problem borrowing a racquet since most use 4 3/8 grip but I have gone that rout many times. I'm seriously considering the Prince 03 Black. I've used my daughters even though she has a 4 1/4 grip. It can generate tons of spin and delivers blows like a hammer. I like the weight, string pattern and head size quite a bit plus it has really good feel. Still it's hard to get a complete read on the thing with a grip that small.
    Put a couple of over grips on it to get it up to about 4 5/8ths.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    Put a couple of over grips on it to get it up to about 4 5/8ths.
    Did that this weekend with a few different racquets.

Hi guys. Don't get too small with the grip size. Stability is compromised with a smaller grip. I used a 4 3/8 with an overgrip. That is small for me as I would normally use a 4 1/2. If you try a smaller grip size, go down one size and see how it works for you. Try it for a few days as well. Nadal has pretty small hands, so 4 3/8 would probably be big for his hands. It's all relative to your hand size. If you have giant hands and try the 4 1/4, you will have terrible trouble holding on to the racquet. I have pretty big hands and there is no way I could use a 4 1/4. So, in short, try it before you buy it. It may feel awful to you and if you don't feel comfortable with the racquet, that will stay in your mind as you play and will cause you to play tentatively. Stick with what feels good to you and hit the frickin' ball!