» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 673

0 members and 673 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grip Size

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Hi guys. Don't get too small with the grip size. Stability is compromised with a smaller grip. I used a 4 3/8 with an overgrip. That is small for me as I would normally use a 4 1/2. If you try a smaller grip size, go down one size and see how it works for you. Try it for a few days as well. Nadal has pretty small hands, so 4 3/8 would probably be big for his hands. It's all relative to your hand size. If you have giant hands and try the 4 1/4, you will have terrible trouble holding on to the racquet. I have pretty big hands and there is no way I could use a 4 1/4. So, in short, try it before you buy it. It may feel awful to you and if you don't feel comfortable with the racquet, that will stay in your mind as you play and will cause you to play tentatively. Stick with what feels good to you and hit the frickin' ball!
    Will do sir. It's 4 5/8 all the way and I shall strike the freakin' ball untentatively with every bit my big handed 6'5" self can muster.

Good stuff there, TK1, as usual.
    I"m 5'11" and 150lbs. and always used a 5/8th. All sorts of players tell me they serve harder and hit harder with smaller grips, so I should change. Then I go hit with them and we hit about the same.
    Of course, some 5.5's actually DO hit harder, and they use 1/2 grips, but maybe they hit harder because they're 1.5 levels better, and 35+ years younger.
    Even with one overgrip, a 5/8 doesn't feel too big. Certainly not for serves, backhands, or volleys. I"ve had an ongoing problem with forehands for the last 20 years, so maybe it's grip related, maybe not.
    For sure, with bigger grips, you can block and volley more solidly.
    With smaller grips, seems you need to swing full out or at least swing forwards to hit a solid ball

TK1 hit the nail on the head. Use what you are comfortable with and freakin' hit the ball. I was also told that I should change to a smaller grip which is why I asked the original question. Well after trying several racquets with smaller grips over the past week or two I've found that this just wasn't for me. All the pros LeeD stated hold true for me as well. I'm sticking with my larger grip. In fact I just ordered myself a couple of new Babolat Pro Drive Roddick GT Pluses with a 4 5/8 grip with Pro Hurricane 16 ga. strings. I can't wait to hit with them.

Heh, don't be afraid to buy too small and build it up with over grips to save a buck though.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    Heh, don't be afraid to buy too small and build it up with over grips to save a buck though.
    I'm always looking to save a buck or two. Tennis is an expensive sport. I got these racquets on sale at Tennis Warehouse, plus another Pure Drive for my wife which was on sale too. Actually I use an overgrip on the 5/8 and build it up a bit already. Sometimes you can get good deals on larger grip sizes because they don't sell quite as fast. Kind of like my size 15 shoes, I seem to always find clearance deals.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    Good stuff there, TK1, as usual.
    I"m 5'11" and 150lbs. and always used a 5/8th. All sorts of players tell me they serve harder and hit harder with smaller grips, so I should change. Then I go hit with them and we hit about the same.
    Of course, some 5.5's actually DO hit harder, and they use 1/2 grips, but maybe they hit harder because they're 1.5 levels better, and 35+ years younger.
    Even with one overgrip, a 5/8 doesn't feel too big. Certainly not for serves, backhands, or volleys. I"ve had an ongoing problem with forehands for the last 20 years, so maybe it's grip related, maybe not.
    For sure, with bigger grips, you can block and volley more solidly.
    With smaller grips, seems you need to swing full out or at least swing forwards to hit a solid ball
    Thanks LeeD. It is true about the small grip size and having to swing out on the ball to keep it lodged against your hand. Rafa isn't exactly known for his deft touch and killer hands at the net. If you have to give it a try, just go a grip size down. If what you have now feels good and you have no issues with it, why change? Remember, it is all relative to hand size. Michael Jordan may have used a 4 5/8 as his smalled down grip. The key is not gripping the racquet too tight so that you get the full range of motion from your wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    .... but i suppose its personal preference.
    Partly, it is. I don't have all my raquets the same size grip. One is 4 3/8 and I get tremendous control and a little extra pop on my shots. My other, 4 1/4, let me get control as well, but helps me on my serve and with topspin and slice shots.