» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 562

0 members and 562 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

String suggestions please

I have found the strings that feel perfect for me. Technifibre 16g multi-feel. Only one problem. They last me about 3 days max! By the third day the multifilament strings have frayed to the point of control and overall feel sacrifice.

The construction of this string is: 985 Composite multifilaments (60% of the total volume of the string) surround one Central Monofilament (20%) and string is immersed in Polyurethane (20%). Features a Anti-Abrasion Coating of Silicone Pyrogene Lubritec.

By the time the top 20% polyurethane layer has worn off, I can begin to feel the decline.

I have used other strings such as Prince synthetic gut, Head FXP control multifilament, Luxillon Big Banger Pentagon shaped, and a few others. Of those, the Head FXP strings seemed the best next to Technifibre.

Help needed here

Ideally I'd like the great ball-pocketing feel that multifilament strings provide, but can't afford to restring @ $30 twice a week. What do you people suggest I demo? I will try all sorts of strings but don't know where to begin.

LT, have you tried other Technifibre strings such as NRG2 and Bi-Phase?

Personally, I've settled for Prince Topspin 15g, which I like a lot. I used to break it once every couple of weeks when I was using the Babolat Pure Control Mid Plus racquet, and restringing was a pain. Since I switched to the Pro Kennex 7g about a year ago, I break the same string only occasionally... I have to cut it out when the tension drops too much (takes 3-4 weeks now). I was surprised because I hit the ball just as hard as I used to with the Babolat. What racquet do you use?

I was at the local pro shop today, and one of the associates tried to sell me on soft polyester. He said they have almost just as much feel as the Technifibre Multifeel. Ultimately I chose another multifilament string this one from Wilson. What's your opinion on the soft feeling poly?

I have not tried other Technifibre strings but sure will look into it. I'm using the Liquidmetal Radical mp.

The only soft poly I've used is Topspin Poly Polar. I didn't like it very much as it lost tension too fast for my liking, and didn't feel good to my arm. I have tried the technifibre strings I mentioned, and they are definitely very good - very playable, and reasonably durable. But they cost around $14 or so, if I remember correctly. I settled on my current 15g string as a compromise - it costs only $5.95, feels great for a few weeks, is quite spin friendly, and I don't mind cutting it out since it is not expensive. I do use a reference tension of 65 lbs on my stringing machine, which I think results in an actual tension of something less than that...

so which one are you talking about?.. the NGR2 or the biphase? and what 'cheap' set-up do you currently use? lastly, why can't you string to an exact lb of tension?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    so which one are you talking about?.. the NGR2 or the biphase? and what 'cheap' set-up do you currently use? lastly, why can't you string to an exact lb of tension?
    He probably uses a drop weight machine and they lose a bit of tension as you go. I actually got some soft poly, topspin cyber blue, but I haven't tried it yet but i'll tell you how it goes when i do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    I have used both, they both are around $14 a set, I think. My stringing machine is not accurate... clock- is correct. The cheap setup I use is with Prince Topspin 15g string.

Okay, thanks for the help. im testing the Wilson NXT max at the moment. it's held up well after two days; seems very consistent so far.. not quite as much feel as Technifibre though which is why i'm going to try your suggestions.

Hey guys, what is a good stringing machine for home/road use? I don't want to spend too much but I don't want a cheap one either. I've been looking around for a used one a bit but still unsure as what to get. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
    Hey guys, what is a good stringing machine for home/road use? I don't want to spend too much but I don't want a cheap one either. I've been looking around for a used one a bit but still unsure as what to get. Any suggestions?
    Gamma x2 it's drop weight and floating clamps but anything more complicated would be difficult to use on the road. Something like the progression II with fixed clamps and the 6 point mounting system would be better but it's more than double the price.
    Last edited by clock-; 06-11-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    Gamma x2 it's drop weight and floating clamps but anything more complicated would be difficult to use on the road. Something like the progression II with fixed clamps and the 6 point mounting system would be better but it's more than double the price.
    Thanks, I'll check those out.

Actually I'd recommend the alpha revo 4000 over the progression II because the better tensioner.

There is a new string out there call Black Diamond bu Alien Brand Tennis Strings. Great power and even better control - lasts forever. Company gives out free samples and sponsorships are pretty easy to get. Go to:
    http://www.alientennisstrings.com/sponsorship.htm

PrinceTourneyNylon15 gauge for me. I'm a string breaker, those strings are cheap and last better than most anything, and I can then concentrate on my game, not what strings, why, what tension, what would be better, what would be almost as good, what looks the best, what I can afford, what has the most status, what is the newest, or what is the most unusual.

Going back to the original question, I had the same problem with liking multi strings but them breaking too often. It was also costing a small fortune to try different strings. In the end someone suggested that I try the multi just in the crosses and a soft poly in the mains. This I did with Head sonic pro 17s in the mains and Sigma fibre touch 16s in the crosses. This kept the feel and comfort - and less string movement - and I only have to change the crosses when the multi breaks. I change both every third time the crosses break - and the multi string lasts longer in the hybrid setting for some reason. I also invested in a second hand drop-weight stringing machine off ebay and now I can do a complete restring for about $5 US and a half string for about $3. I can also string it quicker than the time it takes to drive to the local tennis shop to drop off the racket and collect it again for a restring.