» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 512

0 members and 512 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Do I get a heavier racket - Will it be hard to adapt?

Hi All,

Currently use a Prince Speedport Black - Love the racket as it's a heavier head weight but with a lighter swing weight due to the airport holes etc.. Used it for years and have a fairly average game. I sometimes struggle with control when going for the winners however (like most people!!!)

Either way, haven't thought much about changing but my club had a Head demo day and I tried out the djokovic youtek racket for fun which has a much heavier head weight. When I picked it up I even though "wow" and didn't think I'd be much good. To my surprise, when playing, I was so much more comfortable with going for aggressive shots and found the results quite surprising. I enjoyed playing with it, felt comfortable, and could add extra power to my swing for better deeper shots without seeing the ball flying out.

I did start to feel it in my arms after about 20 minutes of consistent hitting however. I'm not the fittest/strongest in the world and as I work (a lot), putting in a lot of time and effort to improving my cardio/strength is rather difficult. So the questions:
    1) Should I upgrade
    2) If I upgrade, will I struggle with muscle injuries till I put in the work to build up my muscles or will this come natural while playing?

I play 3 times a week ish at a club and semi-competitive standard (4.0 I think would be the USTA equivalent rating though I'm in England!)

Thanks for any advice

Josh

I think the racquet change was more of a psychological improvement. You weren't expecting to have a smooth transition and therefore gave yourself permision to miss. This most likely kept you loose which created more RHS hence more spin to bring it in.

If I'm totatlly off and a new racquet has revolutionized your game, then my apologies. In my experience, proper form, smooth yet quick movement, and a good attitude determine your ability.. not your racquet.