» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 545

0 members and 545 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

TENNISBYMIND - The Grip issue.

Occasionally people turn to me with questions about the methodology. I will try to answer repetitive questions and pass it on to you.
    Question I have been asked for several times: why there is no reference to the grip?
    Well - the method is for those who want to begin playing without prior experience, or playing with no coaching experience, or learned a little and want to improve their game. In any case my intention is to deal first with overall body movement. I let trainees to grip the handle as they did until now. Those who are new to tennis are being taught to use Semi-Western grip. The fact that matter most is how well trainees are internalizing and progressing with the entire flow of all body movements. In case the trainee uses the grip he is used to, we should build the overall movement of all other joints including knees and swing path accordingly. In case the adoption of movement to the grip does not lead to the expected results, the trainee has to understand (whether by himself or by the instructor) the connection between the type of grip he uses and his overall movement flow. After realizing that, the ability to handle change or modify the movement becomes easier and creats a higher and much faster learning curve. A change in grip for those who have no prior experience, is based on the demonstrable flexibility at the waist , shoulders and the ability to bend the knees to a certain degree when striking. The more the trainee is bending his knees the easier it becomes to move from eastern, to semi western and finally to western grip if possible. In general, progressing is a matter (as in other subjects) which depends on the ability of intellectual/ sensual internalization of motion correction and not by trying to impose one particular approach. Adopting a single dictated approach at the first steps, can sometimes result in success, but mostly it causes general failure and abandonment of the desire to play.
    Last edited by reuven rizansky; 08-19-2011 at 06:53 PM.