» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 348

0 members and 348 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Question Does Murray have what it takes to win the Australian Open?

As you all well know, this is Murray's third consecutive semi-final appearance at the australian open and his fifth straight grand-slam semi-final. On his way here he has dropped only one set and spent less time on court than any of the other top four. While his first serve percentage was down to a disappointing 44% last game, he seems to be playing great tennis, especially with his dominance of the opponents service games. Not only that, but he now has the excellent support of Ivan Lendl, the 8 time grand slam victor and 19 time finalist- his main focus- to tackle the Murray temper.
    So, surely this all equates to the perfect recipe for when going up against a great tennis master such as Djokovic?

Well, maybe. However, Djokovic had an astonishing year in 2011, winning three out of the four grand slams- a fete rarely accomplished by many tennis professionals. Although, he has appeared to have struggled a little more than Murray on getting to the semi-final of the aussie open, in the short term. Both Hewitt and Ferrer proved difficult to overcome. This could be debated, for Murray has, until now, not played anyone within the top 20.

I am unsure whether he will manage to win the Australian Open final, but have a suspicion that we all may be in for a surprise for the semi-final result. Djokovic leads Murray 6-4 in matches, but haven't played together since Cincinatti 2011. Murray's counter attacking ground strokes and strong serving against Djokovic's consistency and aggresiveness is something to consider. By Friday morning, we will all know the result but, until then, I'll leave you to comment what you will and tell me you views on the matter- please leave your opinions.

Also- please say who your fave is for the Fed/Nadal clash. I pick Federer as the strong favourite.

Hi thanks for the post! I hope Murray can win!! I think if he gets one grand slam under his belt he could have many more!! I think serve will be the main part to winning the match for both players!
    Nadel to win! but your right tomjg on what ive seen of both players in the last week Fed looks stronger!! going to watch the match now!