» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 542

0 members and 542 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Cool Tennis ball throw, means nothing really...

Hey guys...
    Always wondered about throwing a tennis ball on the courts.
    So after a Joe'sSpecial breakfast, headed to my courts for a toss test.
    Had 3 old DunlopHDHardCourtChamps, and one really old Penn (like 4 months).
    Back fence is just over 25' behind the baseline. Height is just around 19'.
    I get into service position, feet aligned like serving, front foot behind the baseline and let fly the first one... line drive maybe moonball height, lands 4' up the backfence.
    Second one, a slight height adjustment, lands mid fence.
    Third one, I think....twist serve motion... clears back fence by about 5'.
    4th, I remember to close my eyes on the toss, and it goes maybe 8' above the fence.
    Some guy gets his interest piqued, and tosses me another ball, a wet Wilson that is all hard and no fuzz. Of course, that one cleared the fence behind the fence behind my court, about the width of a tennis court farther, but about the same height.
    Every toss, feet land inside 18" of the baseline, farther back than my normal serves.
    Try it, but don't toss too many. The tennis ball is too light for your rotator cuff to handle.

Oscar Wegner has suggested throwing a ball over the net to emulate the service motion for over 40 years, including it as a drill in his 1989 book "Tennis In 2 Hours". This principle is also demonstrated in his latest DVD, "Modern Serves & Volleys". He has also advocated hitting a ball up over the fence for decades, to gain better feel for the serve motion, utilizing the triceps to create an upward and across rather than forward and downward motion, cause of rotator cuff injury. I agree with LeeD that you shouldn't hit (or throw) too many balls in practice.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

What were you expecting or have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    Hey guys...
    Always wondered about throwing a tennis ball on the courts.
    So after a Joe'sSpecial breakfast, headed to my courts for a toss test.
    Had 3 old DunlopHDHardCourtChamps, and one really old Penn (like 4 months).
    Back fence is just over 25' behind the baseline. Height is just around 19'.
    I get into service position, feet aligned like serving, front foot behind the baseline and let fly the first one... line drive maybe moonball height, lands 4' up the backfence.
    Second one, a slight height adjustment, lands mid fence.
    Third one, I think....twist serve motion... clears back fence by about 5'.
    4th, I remember to close my eyes on the toss, and it goes maybe 8' above the fence.
    Some guy gets his interest piqued, and tosses me another ball, a wet Wilson that is all hard and no fuzz. Of course, that one cleared the fence behind the fence behind my court, about the width of a tennis court farther, but about the same height.
    Every toss, feet land inside 18" of the baseline, farther back than my normal serves.
    Try it, but don't toss too many. The tennis ball is too light for your rotator cuff to handle.

ball toss...

Well, you might try tossing a few tennis balls also.
    It's always considered a special thing to serve into the 120's. One key is how well can you toss a ball, right? Try it.
    I can only serve into the lowest 100's right now, since age and injury has slowed my serve down. I'm 63.