» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 571

0 members and 571 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

How would you improve the game of tennis?

What are your thoughts for improving the game of tennis? I see that the USTA has adopted new junior tournaments rules beginning in 2012. We in the United States will begin using different balls, net sizes and racquet sizes for kids. Hopefully this will promote interest in the game of tennis. What are your thoughts about this program, or your thoughts about improving the game of tennis?
    Above all, enjoy the game!

Are you talking about the "quick start" tennis program? I just recently talked with a teaching pro who was explaining how this program was designed. Sounds like a great idea. As far as the game of tennis, I wish that we would see more serve and volley strategies being used. I know with the technology of the new racquets the game has sped up quite a bit, so I guess that is just a dream.

Yes, I am talking about the "quick start" program. I used some of the concepts this past summer and the kids really enjoyed it.

Thats good to hear. I am thinking about changing my summer clinic to incorporate the quick start program. If you have any suggestions as to what works best or what the kids really enjoy, i'm all ears.

What I found out last summer is the kids learned the most by playing games and helping each other. Try not to let anyone stand with out having a job. Have them feed balls, chase down balls, instruct one another, count, create games. Give quick instructions and them let them go. Insert instructions while they are working/playing on a skill. Games were the carrot.

I like the quickstart program. Slow balls keep the kids attention and help them to concetrate on a quality stroke. I don't think it should entirely replace normal tennis especially for the kids that seem to have talent. Would Nadal be the player he is today had he solely used the quickstart program say from age six to nine?..

One way to improve tennis would be to make it more affordable for kids to get the coaching they need as they get older. Seems if you don't have rich parents the odds are severely stacked against you.

In the following clip the message "spin is really important to understand" duplicates one of the most basic precepts of what Oscar Wegner has been teaching for over 40 years.

http://www.tennisresources.com/index...r=1&StartRow=1

For more information on the modern game from the creator of Modern Tennis Methodology™ and Oscar Wegner's book and DVDs go to
    http://http://www.tennisteacher.com and please visit our section here on TW
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Also, the QuickStart program as currently structured is a great basis for growing tennis at the grassroots level, but it is missing the fundamental component of correct techniques necessary to allow children (and adults for that matter) to quickly learn to play and enjoy tennis and stay in the game. Oscar Wegner is currently in production of a new DVD which will incorporate the structure of QuickStart with his Modern Tennis Methodology, giving players, parents and coaches the data that makes tennis an easy sport to learn, enjoy and master. If you would like to follow this topic please visit Oscar's forum here on TW.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

A thought, I believe presented by Patrick McEnroe, was to have different tiers of certified instructors.

Interesting subject Quick Start tennis which we in Europe usually refer to as mini-tennis. As you can imagine, we in the UK are desperate for tenns success, having had no Grand Slam winner for over 75 years despite having one of the wealthiest National Governing Bodies and Wimbledon!

Britain had for at least the last 10 years made a lot of investment in mini-tennis, using mini-tennis Red equipment for the younger players age up to around eight, Orange till around age 9 and Green till around age 10. Common sense though usually prevailed in terms of which type of equipment children used. So if you had a huge 8 year old they might be playing with Green balls and if you had a minute 10 year old you might use Red balls (extreme examples I know).

However, in 2007 a new competitive structure and framework was introduced into GB and kids could only play mini tennis competions relative to their age, and these ages were strictly adhered to - Red till age 8, Orange till age 9 and Green till age 10. This created a lot of problems for parents and players who felt their kids should be allowed to play with the older type of equipment and competition.

More recently the restrictions have been lifted so if children do well at their level they can play up in the next i.e. Orange can play in Green etc.

I imagine if these types of strict rules were implemented in the US there would be a war - parents just wouldn't understand why their kids had to play on smaller courts with soft balls when they could already play on full sized courts with proper balls.

Steven Martens, former Belgian Davis and Federation Cup captain and until recently the LTA's Head of Technical Support and Player Direcetor was in 2006 brought in by the LTA's CEO Roger Draper, to revolutionise the game in GB. Steven had worked in the Begian federation as Head of Technical support and is considered as one of the world's top develop0mental coaches.

Steven believes very much in mini-tennis but says though that the introduction of mini tennis in Belgium and France was not intended to develop world class players but was and stillis just part of the tennis culture in both those countries. Mini tennis he says helps generate much more activity, helps grow the base of the game,makes more economical use of available space and helps in the retention of what can be a very difficult game to play.

So there you have it - a Brits take on mini-tennis Quick Start in the US

THE TENNIS GUY

Tennis require time to improvement. I am doing this last four years and i am unable to do the this. If some one have good idea about tennis promotion then share with us and will help you to apply your idea.

Lack of top existing and upcoming players in the USA is well documented and discussed in industry magazines, at conferences and even on the Tennis Channel. The reason is clear to some, but obscured to most by false data and misconceptions. QuickStart was designed to bring more youngsters into the sport, sell more tennis equipment and expand the talent pool from which to discover the next American champions. The abbreviated structure and equipment may attract kids in greater numbers, but the critical missing component a systematic basis on which to build a foundation of reliable technique to train these kids from the very beginning. I disagree that "tennis can be a very difficult game to play". It is that philosophy and attendant false data that derails so many kids and dooms them to failure before they ever get a chance to discover how simple tennis (and tennis instruction) actually is.
    Last edited by Tennis Angel; 03-01-2011 at 03:31 PM.

well i am a tennis player and i think that for the improvement of tennis efficiency in yourself you only need to do practice .. and practice . I have observed even in myself that when i dont play tennis for one or two weeks , my tennis efficiency decreased very rapidly ..

Blog Entries
    Please watch this! This is a video of my friend and he is trying to go pro someday! he doesnt know that i posted this haha. Watch and pass it along! Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_dVpVKR5yE