» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 252

0 members and 252 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

The Best Tennis Balls

After a recent encounter with Wti tennis balls (bricks), I've been giving tennis balls more thought. I was searching online for what tennis balls are the best. There doesn't seem to be any comparison of any kind readily available online. I figured that perhaps as a group, we could list the pros and cons of the tennis balls we use after a match. Thanks
    Last edited by Lawn Tennis; 08-09-2009 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    After a recent encounter with Wti tennis balls (bricks), I've been giving tennis balls more thought. I was searching online for what tennis balls are the best. There doesn't seem to be any comparison of any kind readily available online. I figured that perhaps as a group, we could list the pros and cons of the tennis balls we use after a match. Thanks
    Pro Penns and the standard Wilson balls are great. If you are looking for a cheaper ball for practice, Dunlop is the king. Their standard balls are absolutely excellent. There is no real difference in the standard balls. As for the titaniums and the pressureless, I avoid them.

Wilson Grand Slams and Slazenger are by far the best I have used.

One con of Dunlop - It doesn't even bounce 2 cm's when you throw it to the floor -_-
    You hit and look around.. then realize the ball landed right in front of you.
    Maybe it was my racket, but to me it appeared that Dunlop balls are just pathetically fat and don't even bounce.
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur

Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post

One con of Dunlop - It doesn't even bounce 2 cm's when you throw it to the floor -_-
    You hit and look around.. then realize the ball landed right in front of you.
    Maybe it was my racket, but to me it appeared that Dunlop balls are just pathetically fat and don't even bounce.
    Hmmm. Since you used centimeters, I am guessing that you are not from America. The ones we get over here in the States are pretty good. No issues what so ever. You may have gotten a bad batch, or I was lucky enough to get a few cans of good ones. Slazenger is made by Dunlop. (Or at least they used to be.) To be honest, I have always used the Pro Penns.

Penn Championship Regular-Duty Felt - This ball is intended for soft courts. I however used them on a hard surface. I believe the only problem with using these on a hard court is how long they will last. I played a best of three with these balls and loved them. They have great feel.. the right weight; excellent semblance. Although the ball seemed to travel at the right pace, it also seemed easy to retrieve. The points were long and enjoyable. I highly recommend Penn Championship RD on hard court surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Pro Penns and the standard Wilson balls are great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    How do the two of you feel about extra-duty balls? Does the added felt create problems?

How do the two of you feel about extra-duty balls? Does the added felt create problems?
    No, to be honest, a ball is a ball is a ball. Unless they have some major defect, they are all nearly identical except for the titaniums and the pressureless. If the writing were taken off of the balls, 99.9% of the people out there wouldn't know the difference between any of them, including myself.

Well that's great to know. So you are saying Pro Penns don't feel much different from Penn Championships? Also, you mentioned that standard Wilson balls are decent. I was considering purchasing 24 cans of Wilson US Open Balls.. Do you recommend I stay away from the USO Balls and stick with the regular ones?

Well that's great to know. So you are saying Pro Penns don't feel much different from Penn Championships? Also, you mentioned that standard Wilson balls are decent. I was considering purchasing 24 cans of Wilson US Open Balls.. Do you recommend I stay away from the USO Balls and stick with the regular ones?
    Buy any of them. The rule goes as such.....Use regular duty felt for clay and heavy duty felt for hardcourts. Reason is is that the extra duty felt keeps the hard court surface from destroying the balls so quickly. The reason it isn't so good to use heavy duty on clay is that the clay will get buried in the heavy felt and weight the balls down. So, regular duty on clay and extra duty on hard surfaces. However, the regular duty hits every bit as well on hard courts as it does clay. They just wear out a little faster. Oops, another clay court trick is heavy duty felt on clay as it will weigh the ball down and slow it up a bit and hard hitters and big servers become rather unhappy. Oops, I didn't say that..............

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Buy any of them. The rule goes as such.....Use regular duty felt for clay and heavy duty felt for hardcourts. Reason is is that the extra duty felt keeps the hard court surface from destroying the balls so quickly. The reason it isn't so good to use heavy duty on clay is that the clay will get buried in the heavy felt and weight the balls down. So, regular duty on clay and extra duty on hard surfaces. However, the regular duty hits every bit as well on hard courts as it does clay. They just wear out a little faster. Oops, another clay court trick is heavy duty felt on clay as it will weigh the ball down and slow it up a bit and hard hitters and big servers become rather unhappy. Oops, I didn't say that..............
    thanks for all your help tennisking

thanks for all your help tennisking
    You are welcome. Anytime.......