» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 590

0 members and 590 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Help - My Topspin Backhand's Gone!

Aight, so, as the title suggests, my backhand's gone! I used to have a deep, heavy, DTL backhand and an equally good CC one, but ever since i started working more on my WW forehand, and making that a real weapon, i've simply lost the mechanics, i've forgotten how to hit it!
    Now, this isn't that big of a problem, seeing as i make my "living" on being a terrifying junkballer and occasional serve/volleyer - 196 km/h serve (video analysed with a high speed camera ), drop shots, skidding side-spun slice, shoulder-high forehands and a reasonable net game. But still, it drives me insane, because if my topspin backhand would come back, i could junkball, baseline blast, S/V and All-Court, all in the same game. I've tried FYB, i've tried hitting nothing but backhands for hours on end, but mostly, i think the problem is a lack of backhand confidence - so does anyone have some tips on rebuilding that?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    Aight, so, as the title suggests, my backhand's gone! I used to have a deep, heavy, DTL backhand and an equally good CC one, but ever since i started working more on my WW forehand, and making that a real weapon, i've simply lost the mechanics, i've forgotten how to hit it!
    Now, this isn't that big of a problem, seeing as i make my "living" on being a terrifying junkballer and occasional serve/volleyer - 196 km/h serve (video analysed with a high speed camera ), drop shots, skidding side-spun slice, shoulder-high forehands and a reasonable net game. But still, it drives me insane, because if my topspin backhand would come back, i could junkball, baseline blast, S/V and All-Court, all in the same game. I've tried FYB, i've tried hitting nothing but backhands for hours on end, but mostly, i think the problem is a lack of backhand confidence - so does anyone have some tips on rebuilding that?
    Keep your head and eyes on the contact point and stay with the shot. Also make sure you are hitting out on the ball with heavy spin with a compact backswing and a good follow through. Most players add a bit of motion to their swings when they go to the heavy topspin "windshield wiper" forehand. This extra movement and lifting up with the legs to get that extra push into the ball for the added spin can easily eek its way into your backhand. Really force yourself to stay down through the swing and drive your legs and hips into the ball while swinging out on the ball. Do not guide the ball. If the ball is flying on you, add more spin. If the ball is falling too short or into the net, make sure your swing is going out to the target a bit more while still swinging up. Hit lots of balls and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    DTL and CC? I thought I knew all tennis terminology..

Down the line and cross court LT.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    Down the line and cross court LT.
    right, So how's your UTM Magnus?

You build "confidence" on any shot by hitting that shot over and over again in practice first, then in real matches. If it always works, you gain "confidence". If it barely works, you lose confidence.
    As you up the level of play, everything you THOUGHT you "owned" now goes completely astray (like your topspin backhand), so you have to constantly up your game to stay with your competition.
    Turn your shoulders, get ready early, and hit low to high, simple as dat....

My UTM? It's my ATM-shot.
    Decipher that

Interesting post dude....discussion are always helpful in one way or the other. Thanks for giving out information. It’s really nice and mean full.