» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 520

0 members and 520 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

View Poll Results: Predict the winner of the 2010 ATP Australian Open!

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roger Federer

4 50.00%
  • Rafael Nadal

1 12.50%
  • Novak Djokovic

1 12.50%
  • Juan Martin Del Potro

0 0%
  • Andy Murray

0 0%
  • Nikolay Davydenko

2 25.00%
  • Andy Roddick

0 0%
  • Robin Soderling

0 0%
  • Fernando Verdasco

0 0%
  • Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2010 Australian Open ATP

Make your prediction to who takes home the prize this time around.

Unless something very strange happens, Davydenko should win. But who knows, he may buckle under pressure in the big matches because he hasn't got a lot of experience going deep into the second week of a Slam. Right now he's the best player on the planet. I've never seen anyone come back from a bagel in the first set to oust Rafa. That said, Rafa does keep improving and he may pull it outta the hat. Djokovic and Delpo are outside favorites but I think their time is yet to come. Federer's days are numbered (his current form suggests he is 4th or 5th in the world). As for Murray, he hasn't got a hope in hell. He hasn't got enough firepower to take out all the big guys in a slam

There's probably too much competition at the top for the less consistent but equally talented players like Tsonga, Verdasco, Roddick, Soderling, Gonzo. However, I would like to see someone like Gonzo or Verdasco make a real run in one of the slams this year. Verdasco has buckets of talent that I reckon he could do anything Delpo achieves, but his temperament is the worst out of anyone in the Top 10 and he crumbles when the pressure's on. With Gonzo, again, he has even more power than Delpo and can obliterate anyone in the top 10 on his day, but he sometimes loses concentration and often tries to be too showy. When he gets going, you look at the opponent, be it Roger, or Davydenko, or Nadal, and you can see that they're stunned. They're demoralized, they can't stop the flow of winners and they are getting ripped apart. When he's on song, it's an awesome spectacle and it's a shame we've not seen that in the slams for a couple of years.

As much as I want the entertainment that Gonzo and Verdasco bring, I'm a Rafa fan through and through. I really really hope he defends his title
    Last edited by AlexLogan; 01-14-2010 at 03:51 PM.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Unless something very strange happens, Davydenko should win. But who knows, he may buckle under pressure in the big matches because he hasn't got a lot of experience going deep into the second week of a Slam. Right now he's the best player on the planet. I've never seen anyone come back from a bagel in the first set to oust Rafa. That said, Rafa does keep improving and he may pull it outta the hat. Djokovic and Delpo are outside favorites but I think their time is yet to come. Federer's days are numbered (his current form suggests he is 4th or 5th in the world). As for Murray, he hasn't got a hope in hell. He hasn't got enough firepower to take out all the big guys in a slam

There's probably too much competition at the top for the less consistent but equally talented players like Tsonga, Verdasco, Roddick, Soderling, Gonzo. However, I would like to see someone like Gonzo or Verdasco make a real run in one of the slams this year. Verdasco has buckets of talent that I reckon he could do anything Delpo achieves, but his temperament is the worst out of anyone in the Top 10 and he crumbles when the pressure's on. With Gonzo, again, he has even more power than Delpo and can obliterate anyone in the top 10 on his day, but he sometimes loses concentration and often tries to be too showy. When he gets going, you look at the opponent, be it Roger, or Davydenko, or Nadal, and you can see that they're stunned. They're demoralized, they can't stop the flow of winners and they are getting ripped apart. When he's on song, it's an awesome spectacle and it's a shame we've not seen that in the slams for a couple of years.
    Nice summary Alex.

But wait a minute. In what way has Federer displayed much less than what is expected from a number 1 player? Let's see, in 2009 he took home two Slam trophies and was the runner-up in the other two slams! What more do you want from a number one player?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Nice summary Alex.

But wait a minute. In what way has Federer displayed much less than what is expected from a number 1 player? Let's see, in 2009 he took home two Slam trophies and was the runner-up in the other two slams! What more do you want from a number one player?
    Since Wimbledon, I get the feeling that the competition is increasing. It's not just Nadal, Djokovic and occasionally Murray anymore. There's Del Potro, Soderling and the most dangerous of all, Davydenko. In the past he's been able to cruise through to the semis and then up his game to tackle the big rivals. Now he has to contend with players with more hunger to win and a wider variety of weapons. There's no way he's gonna fade away. He'll remain in the top 10 for a long time but I reckon there's going to be a big transition this year, the beginning of which we saw at the US open and the ATP finals.

It's not that noticeable, but I've sensed a change in the top 10. I might be completely wrong but I don't see him winning any of the non-Wimbledon slams this year.
    Last edited by AlexLogan; 01-14-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

How about this? Verdasco just beat Djokovic 6-1 6-2 at the Kooyong classic. Not looking good for Djokovic apparently, he was playing really badly. Not to say that he can't turn it around before Melbourne but it's looking ominous. Having said that, Verdasco (apparently) played out of his skin anyway and may have won even with Djokovic on top form. Now he's beaten Tsonga in the final 7-5 6-3 to win the cup.

Maybe Verdasco...just maybe...

(probably not, if we're honest)
    Last edited by AlexLogan; 01-16-2010 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    Since Wimbledon, I get the feeling that the competition is increasing. It's not just Nadal, Djokovic and occasionally Murray anymore. There's Del Potro, Soderling and the most dangerous of all, Davydenko. In the past he's been able to cruise through to the semis and then up his game to tackle the big rivals. Now he has to contend with players with more hunger to win and a wider variety of weapons. There's no way he's gonna fade away. He'll remain in the top 10 for a long time but I reckon there's going to be a big transition this year, the beginning of which we saw at the US open and the ATP finals.

It's not that noticeable, but I've sensed a change in the top 10. I might be completely wrong but I don't see him winning any of the non-Wimbledon slams this year.
    much more acceptable answer still though, Fed cruised through the '09 uso and almost won. Del Po put up a heck of a fight then Fed choked. Prior to that in Cincinnati, he dominated everyone! i guess we'll see here pretty sool.

It's gotta be my man, Federer, I have my hopes for him winning. But seems like there will be many upsets so I guess the ship can sway in any direction.
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur

Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    It's gotta be my man, Federer, I have my hopes for him winning. But seems like there will be many upsets so I guess the ship can sway in any direction.
    I thought your man was Verdasco

Quote Originally Posted by memejerommel2 View Post
    Federer is always my Favorite
    Favorite pick or favorite player?

Quote Originally Posted by memejerommel2 View Post
    both, I always follow his games from his down to his rise.
    cool. bandwagon fans are never serious

Haha

Nope, Fed's my idol forever. My support for him is undying and no other player can exceed that.
    Last edited by Robyna; 01-19-2010 at 03:31 AM.
    -Tupac Shakur

Haha

Nope, Fed's my idol forever. My support for him is undying and no other player can exceed that.
    Speaking of bandwagon fans jk Wow did Fed look good closing out his first round match against Andreev!

Speaking of bandwagon fans jk Wow did Fed look good closing out his first round match against Andreev!
    Yes, yes he did! He gave me a scare in the first set though! Oh, and the third set was simply epic! Honestly, I though it would end at 3 sets to love and Andreev would be little a challenge, but man, he did quite well!
    -Tupac Shakur

Yes, yes he did! He gave me a scare in the first set though! Oh, and the third set was simply epic! Honestly, I though it would end at 3 sets to love and Andreev would be little a challenge, but man, he did quite well!
    Tell me about it! Some of those shots Fed got to were unbelieveable. I'm jealous you are so close to the action right now

Tell me about it! Some of those shots Fed got to were unbelieveable. I'm jealous you are so close to the action right now
    AHAHA!
    Yes, I'm so excited that the tennis season is back here in Australia!

Oh well, don't worry it'll be back in the US soon enough! (;
    -Tupac Shakur

Soderling = epic fail = LOL!