» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 536

0 members and 536 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Strategies for winning #1

I am inserting an excerpt from a Thread that our member TennisKing1 made that I considered good enough for others to read. This conversation is about his match against Sebastian Grosjean who is a retired professional during the 90's who ranked at his high in the top 10 in the World.

Quote Originally Posted by TennisKing1
    Most people think you should go to the side a player doesn't hit as hard, but attacking that side usually draws more errors. Especially if you hit hard to their power side. There are, of course, times where that doesn't work, but it works well against western forehands. The bigger swings against a very hard ball usually gets a weak reply.

As for the knowing what's going on, I used my peripheral vision a little, but once I decided to hit a shot, that was what I went with. Against net rushers, I went right at them with lots of pace and spin and then passed or lobbed on the second shot. Of course, if the obvious passing shot was there, I went for that immediately, but I usually made the net rushers hit a shot.

A lot of times, when they couldn't deal with the pace and spin, it broke their confidence. If they were volleying well, I at least had a good chance at another pass or lob.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I am inserting an excerpt from a Thread that our member TennisKing1 made that I considered good enough for others to read. This conversation is about his match against Sebastian Grosjean who is a retired professional during the 90's who ranked at his high in the top 10 in the World.

I might need to explain that one a little better after I read my post. I knew that Grosjean had a more lethal forehand than backhand and that he was comfortable running from the very first shot. So I went directly at him and took away his angles and then attacked his forehand. The more you attack an opponents strength, the more you will create doubt in their head. I don't mean attack it all the time, but you must put some shots away to that side so that they don't cheat over and give you no room to attack their weakside.

I was down 3-2 the first time I realize this strategy.

Then I realized that even though his BH didn't have big power, he could absorb it well there.
    And even though his FH was lethal, it didn't do well when I tee'd off right at it.

The rest of the match, when I needed to hit softer, i went to his BH and when I got a chance to heat it up, I went to the FH.
    At this point I ran the table and won the next 10 games with little problem.
    thanks for reminding me of this valuable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
    I was down 3-2 the first time I realize this strategy.

Then I realized that even though his BH didn't have big power, he could absorb it well there.
    And even though his FH was lethal, it didn't do well when I tee'd off right at it.

The rest of the match, when I needed to hit softer, i went to his BH and when I got a chance to heat it up, I went to the FH.
    At this point I ran the table and won the next 10 games with little problem.
    thanks for reminding me of this valuable plan.
    You are welcome. It works doesn't it? Attack their weapon and rally with as well as attack their weaker side. It kills your opponent's confidence when they don't get to hit their strength much, and when they do, it is being attacked. It is hard to get in the groove when that is happening.....
    Last edited by tennisking1; 09-04-2009 at 10:21 PM.