» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 489

0 members and 489 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Craig's list scams * beware *

THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXCERPT FROM CRAIG'S LIST FAQ PAGE FOR KNOWN SCAMS TO PARTIES THAT ARE EITHER SELLING OR BUYING FROM OTHERS.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:

* DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
    * NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
    * FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
    * CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
    * NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
    * AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?

* FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
    * FTC online complaint form
    * Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
    * Competition Bureau Canada: 800-348-5358
    * Internet Fraud Complaint Center
    * Software Piracy (http://www.siia.net/piracy/report.asp)
    * Non-emergency number for your local police department.

If you suspect that an item posted for sale on craigslist may be part of a scam, please email the details to "abuse@craigslist.org". Be sure to include the URL (or 10-digit post ID number) in your message.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Recognizing Scams

Most scams involve one or more of the following:

* inquiry from someone far away, often in another country
    * Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee"
    *Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consumating transaction

__________________________________________________ ________

DISCLAIMER

If you are using Craig's List please understand that they are not setup like Ebay for conducting transactions. You are on your own with them with no PayPal to protect you. This almost happened to me until I insisted them transferring the funds into my PayPal account then I never heard from them again.

Good Luck. If it sounds too good, it generally is a scam. If someone wants to send a Cashier's Check, tell them there's a 15-Day hold on them. That will scare them off because it won't take 15-day for a Chargeback to occur.

Coach

Last edited by Coach; 11-17-2009 at 04:37 PM.

You gotta love craigslist. Do you use much, Coach? There isn't anything out there like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    You gotta love craigslist. Do you use much, Coach? There isn't anything out there like it.
    Hey LT ~

2 B honest I posted my 1st just last week or so and already got one sale, one scam attempt and one waste of time email all from one listing. The payment option is probably the biggest obstacle you have to over-come. I have a PayPal Account which I like but others do not so I'll need to get a better understanding of how to best work with a Buyer or Seller in the future.

And location of where you wish to Post is extremely important. So I will either need to post close to where I live or set things up where 'They pay and if they don't like the item, we work on returning it'

How do you do it LT ?

Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Hey LT ~

2 B honest I posted my 1st just last week or so and already got one sale, one scam attempt and one waste of time email all from one listing. The payment option is probably the biggest obstacle you have to over-come. I have a PayPal Account which I like but others do not so I'll need to get a better understanding of how to best work with a Buyer or Seller in the future.

And location of where you wish to Post is extremely important. So I will either need to post close to where I live or set things up where 'They pay and if they don't like the item, we work on returning it'

How do you do it LT ?

Coach

Coach,

I've only been using craigslist from a sellers perspective for about a year and a half. However, I've been buying craigslist items for closer to three years. Every sale but one of mine has been face-to-face, so I really can't help you with the PayPal deal. I would be leery as a buyer even with small sales.

I have used Craigslist to buy and sell. Always face to face and always cash.