» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 509

0 members and 509 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks LT. Right now I'm using the right technique, and the down together uptogether thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    Thanks LT. Right now I'm using the right technique, and the down together uptogether thing.
    Cool, the whole down together, up together will only build and assist the Cobra serve. Let us know how it goes in a few weeks or so.. one thing you will notice is how easy it is to hit at the same mph with half the effort.

I get no audio...
    Cobra serve... you mean loose arm like a whip?
    Thought that was how we all are SUPPOSED to serve.
    Those two, the instructor and student, barely get to 100, I'll bet, with no body movement and just an arm swing, no kinetics.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    I get no audio...
    Cobra serve... you mean loose arm like a whip?
    Thought that was how we all are SUPPOSED to serve.
    Those two, the instructor and student, barely get to 100, I'll bet, with no body movement and just an arm swing, no kinetics.
    Yeah, some of us have a more robotic movement and need tricks like these to get to the next level. I don't really like the word whip.. I don't know what to call it, but it does accelerate the racquet head by turning your arm and wrist into a fluid slap.

I think they were just trying to emphasize the cobra motion by reducing the motion of other parts of the serve.

Yeah, instruction is a tough roe to hoe.
    I wonder if a person's serve speed tends to decline with his general physical decline due to old age.
    Say... if I could throw a football 75 yards in junior high school, but only throw one now around 55 yards, does that mean my potential service speed dropped 25%?
    Sorta correlating to my junior high 100 yard times at 11 seconds, now closer to 15.
    Or my JH distance of 17' in the long jump dropping to around 13' now.

I wonder if a person's serve speed tends to decline with his general physical decline due to old age.
    Say... if I could throw a football 75 yards in junior high school, but only throw one now around 55 yards, does that mean my potential service speed dropped 25%?
    Sorta correlating to my junior high 100 yard times at 11 seconds, now closer to 15.
    It does. I really feel like it is as much a mental thing as it is a physical barrier. We start feeling like we shouldn't be able to do things and thus we don't. However, my uncle that quarterbacked the 49ers back in the 60's could throw a softball from homeplate to well past the centerfield fence even in his early 40's. That was a one step throw too which was pretty amazing to me. I still run a sub 4.7 40 yard dash time at 37 years old. I think when we start getting older, we don't have as much time for athletics as we did when we were younger and thus we don't get the constant practice. However, I still play and have started coaching heavily for a living again and I think that I play better now than ever, mainly because I think in a more level-headed way. I am not as fast as I was (I supposedly ran a 4.41 40 yard dash training at Bollettieri back in the day, but that was stopwatch timed), but I play a little smarter as I have to. My only comparison outside of this was when I was in high school, my father came out and outran everyone on our track team and he was right on 48 years old. Grant it he ran track at West Point and had a recorded time in the 100 yards of 9.7 seconds, he was 20 years old when he was running those times. He embarrassed a lot of young high schoolers that day at nearly 50 years old. If you take care of yourself, you would be surprised at how high of a level you can perform, regardless of age.

Just curious, at what age did you pick up a tennis racquet? I said somewhere else on this forum that I knew a 60 year old man that could serve as many aces as any 4.0 player in their 20s. Seriously, I bet this guy can serve at 120 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    It does. I really feel like it is as much a mental thing as it is a physical barrier. We start feeling like we shouldn't be able to do things and thus we don't. However, my uncle that quarterbacked the 49ers back in the 60's could throw a softball from homeplate to well past the centerfield fence even in his early 40's. That was a one step throw too which was pretty amazing to me. I still run a sub 4.7 40 yard dash time at 37 years old. I think when we start getting older, we don't have as much time for athletics as we did when we were younger and thus we don't get the constant practice. However, I still play and have started coaching heavily for a living again and I think that I play better now than ever, mainly because I think in a more level-headed way. I am not as fast as I was (I supposedly ran a 4.41 40 yard dash training at Bollettieri back in the day, but that was stopwatch timed), but I play a little smarter as I have to. My only comparison outside of this was when I was in high school, my father came out and outran everyone on our track team and he was right on 48 years old. Grant it he ran track at West Point and had a recorded time in the 100 yards of 9.7 seconds, he was 20 years old when he was running those times. He embarrassed a lot of young high schoolers that day at nearly 50 years old. If you take care of yourself, you would be surprised at how high of a level you can perform, regardless of age.
    It sounds like you had genes on your side. I'm sure your father played tennis atleast recreationally, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Just curious, at what age did you pick up a tennis racquet? I said somewhere else on this forum that I knew a 60 year old man that could serve as many aces as any 4.0 player in their 20s. Seriously, I bet this guy can serve at 120 mph.

It sounds like you had genes on your side. I'm sure your father played tennis atleast recreationally, right?
    Yes. He liked tennis, however, my uncle (the quarterback) is the one who really liked tennis. From what I understand, he started my old coach, Lawson Duncan, in tennis (Lawson made it into the top 50 in the world). My uncle played collegiate tennis as well as football, but he was on a football scholarship and that took most of his time. My father was a wide receiver and track runner up at the military academy. He got drafted to play by the Alouettes of Montreal with the idea of joining my uncle on the 49ers, but the Army said differently. He had a 4 year commitment to them as an officer after West Point and he had no choice in the matter back in 1960. I first picked up a racquet at probably 9 years old and made it my fulltime sport by 12. I played soccer more than anything until I was 11 and then started getting the itch to play tennis fulltime and I soon did. Footwork is the reason I became a good player so early and turned pro at 20 years old. Soccer really was instrumental in helping me get quick feet. However, once I turned pro, I saw a hell of a lot of good footwork out there. Mainly against Spanish players. They tend to have excellent footwork and I am quite sure it came from their early years of playing soccer.

Yes. He liked tennis, however, my uncle (the quarterback) is the one who really liked tennis. From what I understand, he started my old coach, Lawson Duncan, in tennis (Lawson made it into the top 50 in the world). My uncle played collegiate tennis as well as football, but he was on a football scholarship and that took most of his time. My father was a wide receiver and track runner up at the military academy. He got drafted to play by the Alouettes of Montreal with the idea of joining my uncle on the 49ers, but the Army said differently. He had a 4 year commitment to them as an officer after West Point and he had no choice in the matter back in 1960. I first picked up a racquet at probably 9 years old and made it my fulltime sport by 12. I played soccer more than anything until I was 11 and then started getting the itch to play tennis fulltime and I soon did. Footwork is the reason I became a good player so early and turned pro at 20 years old. Soccer really was instrumental in helping me get quick feet. However, once I turned pro, I saw a hell of a lot of good footwork out there. Mainly against Spanish players. They tend to have excellent footwork and I am quite sure it came from their early years of playing soccer.
    It's always interesting to hear background stories especially when it leads to tennis. Do you think had you started playing tennis at age 5 or so, you would have been that much better? Though I guess that would have taken time away from soccer, so what gives?

You must be a 49ers fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    It's always interesting to hear background stories especially when it leads to tennis. Do you think had you started playing tennis at age 5 or so, you would have been that much better? Though I guess that would have taken time away from soccer, so what gives?

You must be a 49ers fan.
    You might have heard of me, but who knows? If I would have played tennis and then had some cross-training with soccer, I think that would have kept me interested. No way of knowing. I think I would have matured quicker as a player had I started earlier. You soak things up like a sponge between the ages of 5 and 11 because your hormones haven't kicked in and you aren't trying to impress anyone (mainly girls). You just take things as they come and are glad to do them (in most cases). I wasn't too upset with a top 400 world ranking. I might have moved up a bit had I not had a heat stroke, but that is the way the cookie crumbles. Had I tried performance enhancing things, I probably would have broken into the top 150. I actually had bad sinus troubles before a satellite once and the doctor gave me a shot of prednisone. A light steroid not even meant to enhance performance. I ended up drawing the top seed who was ranked 187 in the world. I have never, ever hit the ball so cleanly or thought so clearly even in the most pressure situations as I did that day. I felt like I could read the logo on the ball even when he crushed it. I beat the guy 6-1, 6-0. I thought he was going to cry. I could have played another match right after that and had no problem. I ended up losing in the 3rd round because after 5 days, the prednisone had left my body and was no longer effective. I felt like absolute crap for a couple of days after that too. I can only imagine what actual steroids could do. And no, I am not a huge 49ers fan. I like them, but they have too many trash talkers on that team now. I like Arizona, mainly because of Kurt Warner. What a great guy. He has great receivers who are quite humble for their ability too.

You might have heard of me, but who knows? If I would have played tennis and then had some cross-training with soccer, I think that would have kept me interested. No way of knowing. I think I would have matured quicker as a player had I started earlier. You soak things up like a sponge between the ages of 5 and 11 because your hormones haven't kicked in and you aren't trying to impress anyone (mainly girls). You just take things as they come and are glad to do them (in most cases). I wasn't too upset with a top 400 world ranking. I might have moved up a bit had I not had a heat stroke, but that is the way the cookie crumbles. Had I tried performance enhancing things, I probably would have broken into the top 150. I actually had bad sinus troubles before a satellite once and the doctor gave me a shot of prednisone. A light steroid not even meant to enhance performance. I ended up drawing the top seed who was ranked 187 in the world. I have never, ever hit the ball so cleanly or thought so clearly even in the most pressure situations as I did that day. I felt like I could read the logo on the ball even when he crushed it. I beat the guy 6-1, 6-0. I thought he was going to cry. I could have played another match right after that and had no problem. I ended up losing in the 3rd round because after 5 days, the prednisone had left my body and was no longer effective. I felt like absolute crap for a couple of days after that too. I can only imagine what actual steroids could do. And no, I am not a huge 49ers fan. I like them, but they have too many trash talkers on that team now. I like Arizona, mainly because of Kurt Warner. What a great guy. He has great receivers who are quite humble for their ability too.
    Ya know, one of these days there will be a way to unlock the full potential like you mentioned but without any repercussions. I don't think it will be a drug.. That's crazy though how badly you beat that guy. Did you rub your prescription in his face

Maybe would have been nice to start up tennis earlier than my 24, but you never know. Maybe it would prove to be too boring
    3 year high school those days, 3 seasons varsity basketball and 2 seasons varsity football, one JV as an incoming sophmore.
    In college, all state fencing team, CrossCountry, surfed 4 days a week, and raced roadracing motorcycles.
    Started tennis as a rehab for a tib/fib 13 pin break, with one rod and some wire added for fun, my second major surgery lower leg. First was a 3 pin rebreak of a badly healed fib right at the ankle joint.
    Until I was 50, I could throw a baseball about 320 feet in the air, as I did often at the high school fields in Marin.
    But you can never say, "what if", because it already happenned.

Maybe would have been nice to start up tennis earlier than my 24, but you never know. Maybe it would prove to be too boring
    3 year high school those days, 3 seasons varsity basketball and 2 seasons varsity football, one JV as an incoming sophmore.
    In college, all state fencing team, CrossCountry, surfed 4 days a week, and raced roadracing motorcycles.
    Started tennis as a rehab for a tib/fib 13 pin break, with one rod and some wire added for fun, my second major surgery lower leg. First was a 3 pin rebreak of a badly healed fib right at the ankle joint.
    Until I was 50, I could throw a baseball about 320 feet in the air, as I did often at the high school fields in Marin.
    But you can never say, "what if", because it already happenned.
    Wow, you had your fair share of activities. I had a couple motorcycles but never got them on the track. I know it would be a blast. Of all the sports you mentioned, is tennis your favorite?

Since it's been snowing, raining, or generally being too cold in MI I've not been able to play in awhile, but I finally got out today and tried that "cobra serve" takeback. I must say it definitely makes my spinning serves faster and gives the bounce more hang time. And I can create a better angle with my flatter serves too.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    Since it's been snowing, raining, or generally being too cold in MI I've not been able to play in awhile, but I finally got out today and tried that "cobra serve" takeback. I must say it definitely makes my spinning serves faster and gives the bounce more hang time. And I can create a better angle with my flatter serves too.
    When I lived in PA the winter was my time to practice alone, cause nobody likes to play tennis when it's 40 degrees for a high. Glad you were able to atleast get out. Was there snow on the court?