» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 813

0 members and 813 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Strategy - Q & A para tu

1. Your Opponent slices their serve out wide to the Deuce Court. Your Return should be?
    (a) Down the Line to their Ad Court
    (b) Down the Middle so you can position yourself back to the center easier.
    (c) Cross-Court to their Service Box Side
    (d) Other

2. Your Opponent hit a forehand Drop Shot while you were 4ft behind the baseline. You're fast enough to get to the ball but not enough to put anything on it, so you might consider?

(a) Get to the ball and try to simply get it back over the Net and position yourself for the passing shot.
    (b) Attempt a DropShot reply
    (c) Get the ball back over and retreat to the service line if you have time.
    (d) Other

3. You're hot & heavy in a backhand to backhand duel where you're determined to outlast your opponent while he/she is equally bent on showing you who's BH is better. So what next?

(a) Continue to demonstrate your backhand dominance
    (b) Change up by hitting down the Line and following it into the Net.
    (c) If your opponent is parked on the Ad Corner blasting BH's to you, that's the best time to throw in a drop shot.
    (d) Other
    Last edited by Coach; 10-30-2008 at 10:09 AM.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

1) B (?)
    2) B
    3) D (hit to the forehand if they aren't returning to the middle)
    I used to play a girl who liked to hit only forehands on the backhand side and sometimes could win a point by hitting a short drop shot on her forehand side

Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
    1) B (?)
    2) B
    3) D (hit to the forehand if they aren't returning to the middle)
    I used to play a girl who liked to hit only forehands on the backhand side and sometimes could win a point by hitting a short drop shot on her forehand side
    By placing the "?" mark around your selection indicates to me that you might have been confused by the wording of my possible solutions, therefore I decided to make a change to the possible answers for that question. <-Thank You

p.s. Did you see the profile message I left for you?
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

Just a reminder that I'm a left-handed player:

1. C (sliced BH dropshot over the net to their service box)
    2. D (Lob it over high enough so they can't reach if they jumped, and far enough back that all they can do is a save shot back to me.. If they're fast enough)
    3. D (Seeing how I'm a lefty, I guess if it's a BH battle I'd be in the middle of the court at baseline and my opponent at their AD-court? But yeah, I choose D. I'd probably change it up and hit a heavy topspin forehand out wide on the AD side so he'd have to chase it, and follow up with a drop shot while at net.. If that makes any sense)

I probably failed.. I don't really know tennis strategies yet, but it's a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by kupaa View Post
    Just a reminder that I'm a left-handed player:

1. C (sliced BH dropshot over the net to their service box)
    2. D (Lob it over high enough so they can't reach if they jumped, and far enough back that all they can do is a save shot back to me.. If they're fast enough)
    3. D (Seeing how I'm a lefty, I guess if it's a BH battle I'd be in the middle of the court at baseline and my opponent at their AD-court? But yeah, I choose D. I'd probably change it up and hit a heavy topspin forehand out wide on the AD side so he'd have to chase it, and follow up with a drop shot while at net.. If that makes any sense)

I probably failed.. I don't really know tennis strategies yet, but it's a work in progress.
    I enjoyed your response and I'm going to hold off just a little while B4 I chime in on what I feel one should consider under these situations however I highlighted your last statement because in Tennis, one needs to be a Quick Study in order to become successful. Keeping in mind that no two shots are reacted to in the same manner, one can only imagine a generalization of responses while playing this game.

Tennis has been described as a series of emergencies one must make immediate decisions on. particularly if you're involved in a hard & fast hitting workout. So you try one of the solutions you've pointed out and it doesn't work in that situation for you, so you try something else.

True Story: I had a match with a friend who I found to be excellent at return of serve. I hit a fairly high velocity serve, so I've been told and as son as I finished my service motion and planted my feet, I then watched the return going down the line beyond my reach. Ok, so enough of this I thought, I began to blast my service even harder and still he got a bead on it and again hit nice solid returns down the line. So I decided to go through the same motion but instead, throw in a Change-up by slowing my serve down considerably. I mean I hit a serve that was probably in the range of 75 to 85 mph. Just as I suspected, I then saw my serve flying into the Net on his return. So it became apparent to me my partner had very good eyes in tracking fast moving serves and very good reflexes in preparing his physical adaption to make a great return. But when I slowed the serve down, he was already so accustomed to swinging and popping his returns that he didn't notice the change in speed.

This action served me well (no pun intended) because going forward, my friend was now on guard for that same approach and subsequently was never able to strike a devastating service return again.

Very nice Coach. I also enjoyed reading your response to my.. Response hah. I'm just curious, did my answers make any sense what so ever?
    Main racket:
    Babolat APDC. Grip size: 4 1/4.
    Strung with Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 at 60lbs.
    Equipped with 3 Wilson Pro Soft Overgrips in BLACK.

Backup racket:
    Head Liquidmetal 4 Midplus OS. Grip size: 4 3/8.
    Strung with Strings given by SA at Unknown.
    Equipped with 2 Wilson Pro Soft Overgrips in BLACK.

Coming soon... Hopefully:
    Wilson nCode Six-One 90/95 with Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 at 60lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    By placing the "?" mark around your selection indicates to me that you might have been confused by the wording of my possible solutions, therefore I decided to make a change to the possible answers for that question. <-Thank You

p.s. Did you see the profile message I left for you?
    Hi coach,
    Thank you. I hadn't seen your note until my son just showed me how to find it.
    I appreciate the ideas you shared about the split step. They were complete and very helpful. I didn't grow up doing a split step and am trying to learn it and teach it.

PS:
    The Spanish object pronoun for "you" is "ti" so it should be "para ti" in the thread title. (Tu is the subject pronoun that would go before a verb.)
    -EB's son

PPS:
    I'd like to send you a private message but it seems like I can't yet, even though I have 10 posts.
    Last edited by energizer bunny; 10-30-2008 at 11:17 PM.

too many options possibilities!

1) (a) if you feel you can hit a winner in the corner, since your pulled out wide it's not really "down the line" (I mean it is but it isn't!!), or (c) if your not in attack mode - deep cross court will give your opponent the least options other than hitting the same winner I described for you to do in "attack mode"

2) (b) - cross court drop shot would probly be safest and you can cover their possible responses because your already on top of the net, keep the drop shot low so they must hit up to get over the net, then POW - put it away!

3) (d) dropshot from the backhand baseline? not adviseable but it is possible, change it up and go down the line - also possible but your giving it to his stronger forehand - but if you rush the net with this shot you may spook him into an unforced error, for me, since I have a strong backhand, I would probly keep up the battle and wait for any other opportunity.

1)C
    2)A
    3)B

that is my answer

1.c
    2.b
    3.b

Personally, I like to disrupt my opponents favored routine and impose MY favorite routine.
    So D for all. You gotta consider your opponent's strengths and weakness before determining WHERE and how you place your shots.
    There is no ONE correct response to any of his shots, except the one where you counter his shot by something he doesn't want to see or can't reply effectively to.
    That's tennis, like Karate, like Fencing. You can choose to be a counterpuncher, you can choose to be the aggressor, you can choose a little of both, but you gotta take your opponent OFF his game from stroke ONE.