» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 543

0 members and 543 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi everyone. Sorry I have been in la la land for the past couple of weeks. I have been housing a couple of professional tennis players at my house and it has thrown my schedule off completely. 7.0 is the highest rating the USTA gives. It is reserved for those who make a complete living playing tennis. I was a 6.5 as I played pro tournaments, but did not get paid enough to actually say that my bills were paid solely through tennis tournaments, so therefore I was a 6.5. When playing someone who moonballs and retrieves, don't change your game. You can change the amount of topspin and such, but don't completely abandon the game that makes you who you are. How can you expect to hit super heavy topspin and charge the net when you practice totally different? It just isn't feasible. First, play your game and see if it works to draw errors out of them. If not, be patient and make them run, run, run, run. They will tire out, I assure you. There is no time limit in the game of tennis. Thirdly, work one corner until they begin to shade there and then attack the other. If you hit from corner to corner against a pusher, they will get both body and racquet rhythm and they begin to make everything. Getting them stuck in a corner until they hit a a poor shot is the key and then you attack the opposite corner and move in. Another great idea is to hit high and heavy so that they are backed up to the fence and then you can step in and hit an angle, approach, or a dropshot. Most retrievers love side to side movement, but not so much up and back movement. Throw their rhythm off with different paced shots of your own and different depths. Take their rhythm and you can take the match.

TK1,
    Thank goodness you're back to lead us through the foggy woods of tennis! Your sage advice and knowledge has been much needed here in the ranks of rec leaguers. Seriously!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
    TK1,
    Thank goodness you're back to lead us through the foggy woods of tennis! Your sage advice and knowledge has been much needed here in the ranks of rec leaguers. Seriously!!!
    lol, nice wording. I do agree. Your tips on the open stance forehand have been helpful. Glad you're back. What exactly were you doing in LA?.. more tennis related business..

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    lol, nice wording. I do agree. Your tips on the open stance forehand have been helpful. Glad you're back. What exactly were you doing in LA?.. more tennis related business..
    Lol! La la land is in my head! I have Michael Ryderstedt and Ivo Klec staying with me this week and it has been hectic. Clothes washing, food cooking (Ryderstedt eats like a great white shark, good Lord!), and just hanging out. They are ATP players ranked in the top 400 in the world. Great players. Ryderstedt lost a tight one to Roddick last year at San Jose before he was injured and had shoulder surgery. Klec is an occassional hitting partner to Federer. They are grinding it out on the Challenger Tour. LT, the open stance is great when rallying from side to side with pace, but I meant to tell you, whenever the ball is slower and shorter, it is best to step in and hit the ball. It allows you to take it a little earlier and I believe it gives a little bit more solid base. If your opponent hits the ball deeper and harder, the open stance is great, but step in on the shorter, softer shots so that you don't let your contact point drop. Open stance hitters tend to let the ball come to them and when the ball is hit softly and short, the ball usually has dropped and if you don't step in, you will end up having a bad contact point. That is just advice from another, old post that I never cleared up. So, how has everyone been doing?

Everything here is good. I just got back on the court a couple of weeks ago after 8wks off due to minor heel surgery. Although I've been hitting the gym 5 days a week doing tons of cardio on the eliptical and stair master and lifting weights I'm not in tennis shape. More like football shape. Funny how weights + time off = muscle memory meltdown for tennis. Swinging a racquet was like swinging a club for the first hour or so.....

Glad to see TK is back!

When I see a cream puff headed my way, I take a deep breath and loosen my grip on the racquet. I position myself for a forehand, and let loose with my biggest topspin shot directed to wherever my opponent has to run for it. Works most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Lol! La la land is in my head! I have Michael Ryderstedt and Ivo Klec staying with me this week and it has been hectic. Clothes washing, food cooking (Ryderstedt eats like a great white shark, good Lord!), and just hanging out. They are ATP players ranked in the top 400 in the world. Great players. Ryderstedt lost a tight one to Roddick last year at San Jose before he was injured and had shoulder surgery. Klec is an occassional hitting partner to Federer. They are grinding it out on the Challenger Tour. LT, the open stance is great when rallying from side to side with pace, but I meant to tell you, whenever the ball is slower and shorter, it is best to step in and hit the ball. It allows you to take it a little earlier and I believe it gives a little bit more solid base. If your opponent hits the ball deeper and harder, the open stance is great, but step in on the shorter, softer shots so that you don't let your contact point drop. Open stance hitters tend to let the ball come to them and when the ball is hit softly and short, the ball usually has dropped and if you don't step in, you will end up having a bad contact point. That is just advice from another, old post that I never cleared up. So, how has everyone been doing?
    i won't dig, but have to ask. does this have something to do with your job at Hilton Head Island?

I actually did just figure that one out TK. My forehand is making progress quickly in particular from the back of the court with the open stance thanks to you. I would still like to take you up on the uploaded video analysis, but want to straighten some things out before then - and actually all I need is a bunch of practice to make this work, i think i really feel it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisplayer View Post
    glad to see tk is back!

When i see a cream puff headed my way, i take a deep breath and loosen my grip on the racquet. I position myself for a forehand, and let loose with my biggest topspin shot directed to wherever my opponent has to run for it. Works most of the time...
    lol

i won't dig, but have to ask. does this have something to do with your job at Hilton Head Island?

I actually did just figure that one out TK. My forehand is making progress quickly in particular from the back of the court with the open stance thanks to you. I would still like to take you up on the uploaded video analysis, but want to straighten some things out before then - and actually all I need is a bunch of practice to make this work, i think i really feel it this time.
    I wouldn't deal with what TK1 described unless it was my job. I guess that is what you have to deal with when you are the FNG.

There was a men's $50,000 Challenger over in Savannah that they played in and they stayed with me. Friends of mine. Still tiring making sure all is good when you have guests. Now I know why people are worn out after company. The main thing you need to do when lifting weights is to stretch. I mean really stretch. That is why you will get the feeling that you can't hit at all and you have no feel. New muscle fibers have to be stretched out. As for the open stance forehand, LT, I am glad I could help. Just make sure you recognize shorter balls so that you can step in. The key is making sure your contact point is waist/belly button high.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    There was a men's $50,000 Challenger over in Savannah that they played in and they stayed with me. Friends of mine. Still tiring making sure all is good when you have guests. Now I know why people are worn out after company. The main thing you need to do when lifting weights is to stretch. I mean really stretch. That is why you will get the feeling that you can't hit at all and you have no feel. New muscle fibers have to be stretched out. As for the open stance forehand, LT, I am glad I could help. Just make sure you recognize shorter balls so that you can step in. The key is making sure your contact point is waist/belly button high.
    Very hospitable of you to accommodate your friends so. It is rough out there on the challenger circuit from what I've heard. My hat is off to all those guys and girls who are grinding it out and trying to break through. (apologies for earlier comment, no offense meant, one should never assume)

I shall really, really stretch. A few days of hitting and I'm finally starting to get the feel back in the stroke and hey, it's almost the weekend. That means court time!!! It feels good to play again.

Belly button height.. i think i make contact several inches lower.

Belly button height.. i think i make contact several inches lower.
    Step in more to take it at the top of the bounce, or bend your knees. It sounds like you hit it at waist height though so you're probably good.

it feels pretty good. i'm concentrating on less of a bend in the elbow at the moment. im thinking of creating something to hold limit the bend - i doubt they sell such a thing.

it feels pretty good. i'm concentrating on less of a bend in the elbow at the moment. im thinking of creating something to hold limit the bend - i doubt they sell such a thing.
    You could try powerlifting elbow wraps. They're pretty tight so they do restrict bending but they also cut of your circulation if you wear them too long.
    Last edited by clock-; 05-08-2010 at 11:41 AM.