» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 509

0 members and 509 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

How long a 6 year Old Girl should practice?

Hi,
    I have a 6 year old girl that play tennis, but I am wondering how many time a week she should practice to be competitive? Please advice!

whatever you do, dont presure her. once she starts to get good, she should want to play willingly all the time. just take her out to the courts and have fun.

Just have a half and hour practice 2 to 3 times a week, but always keep it fun for her.
    Don't pressure her, but encourage her.

Competitive?
    The more 1 practices the better 1 becomes. Anyone can got to the park & find someone who is competitive. She can not practice & go out & hit the ball around or she can practice for hours a day. You know her better than anyone else but there is nothing unhealthy about practicing a lot. I would say teach her the basics first. By her knowing that she will know more than most people playing at the park & she will be able to understand when she watching tennis on tv. Practice the basics every day & she will play for life. She will always be able to grab a rac & hit the ball in play.

You have to remember she is only a 6 year old child still developing muscle.
    I'd say don't worry TOO much about ground strokes and NO I am not saying don't worry about ground strokes at all.
    You should get her to run around a bit and an excercise I'd suggest is to throw the ball away for her and make her chase it before it bounces twice.
    This will develop her leg muscle but also make her a fast runner which will pay off on the court.
    Hope I helped,
    (:

OK!

Well set your goals & work to achieve them. Tennis history has lots to offer.
    Pro, Scholarship, Park play, Swatting what ever. Its all fun.

Good advice to keep it fun. I have a 6 year old grandson who is obsessed with handball. He wants to play it all day every day. He plays at recess during school and after school, and at night if he gets a chance. I encourage him to do other things (tae kwon do, ride his bike, play basketball which he is beginning to take an interest in, skateboard, and of course tennis). All the activities help make him strong, agile and fit. He chooses to do them, but he must also find time for homework, good nutrition, a bath and adequate rest. In a recent spot on The Tennis Channel contemporary tennis stars all mention that as little kids they were constantly practicing and playing, usually with their Mom or Dad, and hitting the tennis ball against a wall or wherever they could every waking moment. Best advice: keep it fun while you make sure to keep up with the other issues of schoolwork, nutrition and rest. When a child clearly demonstrate an extreme interest in the game it could be an indication of a future superstar, or just an average kid with a temporary enthusiasm - so let him enjoy it while it lasts!
    Last edited by Tennis Angel; 04-09-2009 at 08:34 PM.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

I am wondering how long Venus, Serena, and Jelena practices when they were 6? is any body know?

I don't know exactly how long they used to practice when they were 6, but when they were 10 they used to practice 6 days a week. Not sure how many hours but I'd guess about 2 to 4 hours.
    But, right now you shouldn't focus on making her as good as world number one.

I usually let them play until they seem uninterested and can't focus anymore. Kids have a natural way of letting you know when they don't have the patience for it

Quote Originally Posted by robyna View Post
    i don't know exactly how long they used to practice when they were 6, but when they were 10 they used to practice 6 days a week. Not sure how many hours but i'd guess about 2 to 4 hours.
    But, right now you shouldn't focus on making her as good as world number one.
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinc360 View Post
    i usually let them play until they seem uninterested and can't focus anymore. Kids have a natural way of letting you know when they don't have the patience for it
    +1 & +1

play until she wants to stop. and how much she wants to