» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 505

0 members and 505 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Glad to be here

Glad to be here

Hello everyone,

I am the father of an aspiring, soon to be seven year old girl, tennis player. My daughter started holding a racquet and imitating players in front of the television while my wife and I were watching Wimbledon '04 (she was 15 months old) and has been nuts about playing tennis ever since. We decided when she was four that we would try out having her take lessons with a local pro and she couldn't get enough. Now she is working with a fantastic instructor who has moved to Fort Worth recently coming from the South Florida area with good connections. She recently played in her first tourny and she couldn't be more excited.

My wife, a former high school and college tennis player, and I, former multi sport athelete and college recruit, decided at the same time to get back into playing tennis ourselves, to make it a family affair and to keep close to what our daughter loves. Our weekend USTA leagues will be replaced very soon by taking our daughter to her tournaments and helping her advance in the sport she loves.

The main reason I joined this forum is because there are so many questions I have about what is out there, how to best help our daughter achieve her goals, and learn more about the sport I and my family enjoy so much. I feel we already have a great start.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am the father of an aspiring, soon to be seven year old girl, tennis player. My daughter started holding a racquet and imitating players in front of the television while my wife and I were watching Wimbledon '04 (she was 15 months old) and has been nuts about playing tennis ever since. We decided when she was four that we would try out having her take lessons with a local pro and she couldn't get enough. Now she is working with a fantastic instructor who has moved to Fort Worth recently coming from the South Florida area with good connections. She recently played in her first tourny and she couldn't be more excited.

My wife, a former high school and college tennis player, and I, former multi sport athelete and college recruit, decided at the same time to get back into playing tennis ourselves, to make it a family affair and to keep close to what our daughter loves. Our weekend USTA leagues will be replaced very soon by taking our daughter to her tournaments and helping her advance in the sport she loves.

The main reason I joined this forum is because there are so many questions I have about what is out there, how to best help our daughter achieve her goals, and learn more about the sport I and my family enjoy so much. I feel we already have a great start.

Cheers
    Wow, this sounds like the beginning of a tennis legend's biography. Thanks for sharing it live . Welcome to the forum, and we hope to see you post more. Cool icon, btw. Lastly, stay the way you are. Your daughter has picked up a racquet and not put it down.. you're doing nothing wrong if this is the what you had or are hoping for.

I appreciate the welcome. Perhaps we'll be seeing you in SA for a tournament in the near future.

My wife, a former high school and college tennis player,
    ahem.....and four other sports, two (VB/BB)college recruited, thanks very much.

I'm here, glad you found this, it would seem to be an invaluable source for All Things Tennis.

xo

I appreciate the welcome. Perhaps we'll be seeing you in SA for a tournament in the near future.
    SA is the home of the sixth largest recreational tennis facility in America called 'McFarlin Tennis Center'. Hopefully this spring/summer will be full of tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by isis67 View Post
    ahem.....and four other sports, two (VB/BB)college recruited, thanks very much.

I'm here, glad you found this, it would seem to be an invaluable source for All Things Tennis.

xo
    You must be the wife/mother.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    SA is the home of the sixth largest recreational tennis facility in America called 'McFarlin Tennis Center'. Hopefully this spring/summer will be full of tournaments.

You must be the wife/mother.
    Yes that would be the wife/mother....a multi sport person herself who left out softball and soccer. I don't know how she had time for everything she did and compete at such a high level. She also left out that she was invited to try out for junior olympics. Believe me you don't want to bet money on a game of h.o.r.s.e with her either.....

We'll let you know when we head down to SA for sure. It won't be long, maybe even in the next few months. We keep checking upcoming tourneys on the USTA site.

Yes that would be the wife/mother....a multi sport person herself who left out softball and soccer. I don't know how she had time for everything she did and compete at such a high level. She also left out that she was invited to try out for junior olympics. Believe me you don't want to bet money on a game of h.o.r.s.e with her either.....

We'll let you know when we head down to SA for sure. It won't be long, maybe even in the next few months. We keep checking upcoming tourneys on the USTA site.
    Lol Yeah, some people seem to know how to fit 30 hours into one day!

Okay, I certainly will keep an eye out. I bet it will be held at McFarlin - they are some nice courts. They even have a center court that seats approximately 600.