» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 533

0 members and 533 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Smile Hello from Belgrade

Hi from tennis land,

It used to be a football but now it is all about tennis thanks to Nole, Jelena and ANa. Kids are playing tennis on the street, extremely difficult to find free courts... My 12 years old son is playing tennis and I thought of sending him to Rick Macci's academy. Any advices? I understand that no boarding available during the winter so I would appreciate if someone could advise how to solve the housing problem...

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,
    Velibor

well how's life in your country now? has the fighting die down at all? it's amazing how you guys can produce 3 players in the top 5 of the men's and women's tour.

Hi,

All wars ended 10 years ago and I hope we have done our share for this century. Everyone is asking how it is possible to produce so many good players in such a short period of time. I really don't know. Being a tennis parent myself, I see what you really have to go through... Maybe if you live in a poor country your motivation is stronger as your choices are limited...

Chrs,

Velibor

Congratulations to your Country, quite marvellous !

Quote Originally Posted by Velibor View Post
    Hi from tennis land,

It used to be a football but now it is all about tennis thanks to Nole, Jelena and ANa. Kids are playing tennis on the street, extremely difficult to find free courts... My 12 years old son is playing tennis and I thought of sending him to Rick Macci's academy. Any advices? I understand that no boarding available during the winter so I would appreciate if someone could advise how to solve the housing problem...
    Thanks a lot,
    Best Regards,
    Velibor
    It's amazing how a Tennis Player from a Country not known for it's dominance in the Sport produces one person who gains notoriety and just like that, not only is that same small little Country supporting Tennis all of a sudden but sending out really great Players as well. You have a lot to be proud of .. I think Jelena is one of my favorites but she frustrates me when I watch her play. I'll tell you more about that another time.

When you ask for advice about Macci's Academy, what exactly are you wanting to know, if that's the best for the money or for what they charge, are there better Academies?

Thank You for joining TennisW.com, I have a feeling you will be a great addition to the Community ..

Welcome,
    Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Greetings Velibor ~

Sorry I missed your first Post. I generally like to show we are eager to greet new Members. Thank you for becoming a part of the TennisW Community.

I love the fact that it's your 2nd Post and you're already trying to help someone out. That pretty much nails what I want to see here as well as our Leader John, who is the Admin of TennisW and when he's happy, that makes me happy as well.

Tell us about yourself please ...

Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Thumbs up Housing Advice

Hi Velibor,

Can't help you with information. I played tennis since the age of 6 and stoped at the age of 45. I'm coming into tennis again after a 9 year absence. Really feel like a fish right out off the bowl.
    Having been a Tennis parent also and having faced the same tipe of questions you now do, the only tip I can give you (the one that gave good results many years ago is the following one:
    - decide where you want to send your son to and establish contact with the academy management. Put them your questions and ask them to help you. They are usually quite friendly and know what the options are. Than, go there yourself and check it all out. obtain personal contacts at the academy. Know the people you're dealing with. Never send your son to a place you don't know yourself and where you have no contacts at all.
    best regards,
    RodLabour

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    It's amazing how a Tennis Player from a Country not known for it's dominance in the Sport produces one person who gains notoriety and just like that, not only is that same small little Country supporting Tennis all of a sudden but sending out really great Players as well. You have a lot to be proud of .. I think Jelena is one of my favorites but she frustrates me when I watch her play. I'll tell you more about that another time.

When you ask for advice about Macci's Academy, what exactly are you wanting to know, if that's the best for the money or for what they charge, are there better Academies?

Thank You for joining TennisW.com, I have a feeling you will be a great addition to the Community ..

Welcome,
    Coach
    Hi Coach,

Thanks for the warm greetings. Jelena is also my favorite, I really like her fighting attitude. It was not long ago when she used to pack her suitcases after the first round, she was so close to give up but her fighting spirit did not let her do that. When in Belgrade she is practicing in the same club where my son is playing and I go and watch her. She is really giving everything from her self even when practicing...

Everyone here is talking about Jelena, Ana and Nole, but 2 other guys Zimonjic and Nestor that just won Shanghai and finished double race as first ones are also from here. Though Nestor took Canadian citizenship but still...

About my son. Well, he was at the Bolittieri's academy for a short period of time and I was not too happy about it. As a parent I wanted to talk to someone about his game, weak points, ways to improve but couldn't get anyone. He played with so many different coaches and there was no any personal relationship between them. Everything just looked like a big industry... A friend of mine who is also tennis parent spent some time at Rick's academy and he and his daughter were very happy. So I called Rick and he said it is OK we could come but in the winter time they do not provide any housing so you have to come up with something on your own.
    You made a good point, it would be good to know what is the general reputation of Macci's academy? Is it a good value for the money? In general is there any guideline for parents sending children to tennis academies? Has this been a topic of interest for TennisW guys?

Thanks a lot for any contribution and sorry for spelling/grammar mistakes, English is my 3rd language only..

Best Regards,
    Velibor

Quote Originally Posted by RodLabour View Post
    Hi Velibor,

Can't help you with information. I played tennis since the age of 6 and stoped at the age of 45. I'm coming into tennis again after a 9 year absence. Really feel like a fish right out off the bowl.
    Having been a Tennis parent also and having faced the same tipe of questions you now do, the only tip I can give you (the one that gave good results many years ago is the following one:
    - decide where you want to send your son to and establish contact with the academy management. Put them your questions and ask them to help you. They are usually quite friendly and know what the options are. Than, go there yourself and check it all out. obtain personal contacts at the academy. Know the people you're dealing with. Never send your son to a place you don't know yourself and where you have no contacts at all.
    best regards,
    RodLabour
    Thanks Rod,

Could not agree with you more. Personal contact and some kind of friendly relationship where my son would feel as a member of a family is what I would like to have. In my previous post I mentioned that we did not get that at the Bolittieri's academy. So I thought perhaps size is not too relevant, perhaps the smaller the better.Than I heard about Macci's academy and the fact that he talked to me led me think maybe i am on the right track...
    There are days when I thought it was easer to graduate from the University than to be a fully supportive and smart Tennis parent...

Time to sleep at this part of the world...

Best Regards,

Velibor

Hi Velibor, welcome to tennisw.com! We're glad to have you join us and hope you enjoy your time spent here.
    TennisW.com Network Administrator
    www.TennisW.com