» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 528

0 members and 528 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2009 French Open * Spoiler Thread *

This Thread will be the results of the Day so if you are not into knowing, do not read this Thread and please contribute to it by all means .........

Lleyton Hewitt made it through today against Ivo Karlovic's 60+ Aces 6-3 in the 5th

Sam Querrey was the 1st American to lose his bid today against Ernests Gulbis from the Country of Latvia (where ever that is) 1-6 in the 4th

Fernando Verdasco who is for the first time at Roland Garros, considered a Contender, won in straight Sets against Florent Serra

Andy Murray(3) gave up 5 games to Juan Ignacio Chela in straight Sets.

Radek Stepanek is one of the best Players, who few talk about, won today in straight Sets against Gaston Gaudio who is no push-over on the Court.

Marat Safin (20) won today in straight Sets against Alexandre Sidorenko.

Gilles Simon (7) had to fight for 5 Sets before defeating Wayne Odesnik

These are the results of the Top half of the Men's Draw today which is Nadal & Murray's half of the Draw. Federer & Djokovic share the bottom half.

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Throughout my intention is not to print every Match played, only those that I have some particular interest in, which is why I said, feel free to include your thoughts within.
    Robert Kendrick (USA) defeated Daniel Brands (GER) 6-3 in the 5th. For those who recall, a few years back, Rob Kendrick took Nadal to the brink and came very close to a huge upset over Nadal.

Speaking of Under Achievers, I see Marat Safin clearly in that category. He may not be considered much of a threat on Clay but when he's on his game, his ground strokes can often eclipse those of Roger Federer's. Unfortunately, rarely are his strokes on.

And for Giles Simon to be considered a Contender in my opinion is not realistic. Should both Safin & Simon win two more rounds, they should meet and that would be a match I wish to watch. Safin hits with great power and simon plays a lot like Mats Wilander.

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

Monday's Matches * Spoiler *

****AGAIN THESE ARE COMPLETED SCORE RESULTS THEREFORE IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO KNOW THESE RESULTS STOP READING AT THIS POINT****
    __________________________________________________ _________________

Nikolay Davydenko [10] defeated Stefan Koubek in Strght Sets

Victor Hanescu [30] won in three Tie Break Sets over Steve Darcis

Robin Soderling [23] beat another American Kevin Kim in Strght Sets.

1st Double Bagel of the Tournament came today by Dinara Safina's [1] win over Anne Keothavong 6-0 6-0

Venus Williams [3] took 3 Sets to defeat Bethanie Mattek-Sands USA

Jie Zheng [15] won over French Woman Stephanie Cohen-Aloro in Strght Sets

Alisa Kleybanova
    [23] lost to Polona Hercog in Strght Sets

Agnes Szavay [29] beat Corinna Dentoni in Strght Sets

Sam Querrey is out! that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Sam Querrey is out! that sucks.
    Well don't fret my friend because my girl Maria Sharapova is not only back but won her first match to my delight.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Well don't fret my friend because my girl Maria Sharapova is not only back but won her first match to my delight.
    +1 Great! always love comebacks.

2009 French Open Day 2 results

Rafa Nadal over Marcos Daniel 7-5 | 6-4 | 6-3 in Straight Sets

Roger Federer over Alberto Martin in Straight Sets

Andy Roddick over Romain Jouan in Straight Sets

Paul-Henri Mathieu over Laurent Recouderc in Straight Sets

Stanislas Wawrinka over Nicolas Devilder in Five Sets

Jeremy Chardy over Thiago Alves in Straight Sets

Nikolay Davydenko over Stefan Koubek in Straight Sets

Igor Andreev over Fabio Fognini in Five Sets

Guillaume Rufin over Eduardo Schwank in Straight Sets

Feliciano Lopez over Franco Ferreiro in Five

Potito Starace over Mischa Zverev who retired in 3rd Set

Janko Tipsarevic over Albert Montanes in 4 Sets

Rui Machado over Kristof Vliegen in Five

Robin Soderling over Kevin Kim in Straight Sets

Pablo Andujar over Robby Ginepri in Straight Sets

Fernando Gonzalez over Jiri Vanek in Straight Sets

Simone Bolelli over Tomas Berdych in Five Sets

Diego Junqueira over Paul Capdeville in Four

Nicolas Massu over Daniel Koellerer in Five

Nicolas Kiefer over Ilia Bozoljac in Four

more results later ....

Talking Radek

Yes i like Radek Stefanek as well. He is a joy to watch.
    I can,t figure out why he is using a custom made BOSWORTH racquet when he could be getting a racquet company to sponsor him for large sums. I guess you could argue The custom BOSWORTH could be a great racquet but he has lead tape stuck all over a custom racquet!!

My friends whenever you see this face in this manner, you can be assured that there is the most ungodly squeal human ears have ever heard in the air however what else is in the air at the same moment is no doubt yet another one of Maria Sharapova's powerful groundstrokes that some unfortunate opponent must contend with. Today that unfortunate opponent was Nadia Petrova, another member of the incredibly talented Russian Tennis Machine.

Today was an example of why I admire this young lady so much. Even though her form was at times dreadful, she has what Monica Seles and Serena Williams has, which is an incredible will to win under the most difficult circumstances.

Maria squeaked by 8-6 in the 3rd and although there were times I had to close my eyes because of her style of play, I was pleased to see ho much she still loves the game. Maria has made enough money from the Sport and outside endeavors where she really doesn't need to play anymore and with a debilitating injury to her shoulder & subsequent surgery, it could have been an easy decision to retire in order to not injury it further,

With enough money in her Bank account to buy a small Island, already a Grand Slam Winner and one of the World's most beautiful women at 22 yrs old, why beat her body up anymore playing a Sport where the Players are getting bigger, stronger, more powerful and talented? If you step away for just a minute, most have no chance of getting back up to that level again.

Players like Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Jennifer Capriati, Jelena Dokic and even Martina Hingis, have stepped away for one reason or another and some have yet to return while others came back and as abruptly, went away again. Even the William's Sisters are still making what I consider a comeback given they've yet to regain the form they once had at the time each began to have injuries that forced long layoffs.

So, although it's still too early to tell, I believe Maria was incredibly lucky today. Her strategy was lacking on several occasions and as a result, prolonged this match more than it had to be. Petrova is a great player but lacks the ability to close out when she's on top as well as the top level of players can, which is why Maria was allowed the time to hang around just long enough to find a win.

I would love to see her win the French Open however I don't think you'll find too many laying down cash on her doing it this time around. Each step forward is nothing less than a blessing for Maria from now on because in every Grand Slam, the best make it through and for each level, the matches are going to become harder. If Maria continues to play like she did today, her next match should be her last.

Coach, i can feel your passion for tennis through the internet. that's impressive on your part. go Maria!!!

Coach, i can feel your passion for tennis through the internet. that's impressive on your part. go Maria!!!
    There was a time I was everything but a Sharapova Fan. I couldn't stand her shrieking, which eclipsed Monica's by dozens of decibels. Maria had a swagger that I didn't quite understand and considered it as unfounded confidence based upon not yet established results. But she grew on me because she's one of the best fighters on the Tour and you have to admire that.

Talking Overcome

I had to overcome some of the behaviour of Radek Stefanek who, i greatly admire. I guess what won me over was his desire to win every time he went on the court. I enjoy watching serve and volley play.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    There was a time I was everything but a Sharapova Fan. I couldn't stand her shrieking, which eclipsed Monica's by dozens of decibels. Maria had a swagger that I didn't quite understand and considered it as unfounded confidence based upon not yet established results. But she grew on me because she's one of the best fighters on the Tour and you have to admire that.
    absolutely. of course, yesterday was the first live match i saw her play. i loved it. she seemed to enjoy the match. i would have never guessed she was gone for almost a year. great stuff.

absolutely. of course, yesterday was the first live match i saw her play. i loved it. she seemed to enjoy the match. i would have never guessed she was gone for almost a year. great stuff.
    Actually her play was not good at all. Her foot work was terrible and she found herself in a defensive position often. Her court strategy was suspect, where she often hit cross court backhand shots that left the Down-the-Line wide open and often she was caught by that. Petrova could have exploited that much more than she did and against a more experienced player, Maria, would have been toast.

Unless she adapts a more thoughtful approach along with her aggressive tactics, we will be seeing the last of Maria very soon. Unfortunately, her off the ground power is common on the Tour these days. And she needs serious work on her service motion. She puts far too much body into her shot which takes longer to recover from and allows her opponent to attack the open Court before she can establish a defensive footing.

If I could work with Maria, I would first work on her Serve. That is the one area that would make the biggest difference in her game right now. Ok she's been gone for awhile but if she doesn't elevate her play rapidly, I fear she could get too frustrated and possibly either;

1. Try to hit even harder to get out of trouble which might re-injure her shoulder. or

2. Amass so many losses that she will leave the game which would be tragic.

she won the match against world number 10.