» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 514

0 members and 514 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mens Forehand v. Womens Fh

Well I was just wondering :

What are the primary differences between men and women's forehands.

I believe men's forehands generally use more torso rotation, and a more relaxed wrist..

What do you guys think about the advantages v. disadvantages?

Also, people say Henin's forehand is like a man's forehand.
    Is it because mainly her wrist is just relaxed or what?

Comparisons :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inQvbT8uEGk Nadal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgJC...eature=channel
    Ivanovic

I hate to start a battle of the sexes but men are stronger than women. It makes racquet head speed easier to generate, and keeps the racquet steadier. There's no huge difference in mechanics or the women would probably just switch to use the same ones as the men. Between Nadal and Ivanovic the most obvious difference is that Nadal's arm is fully extended at the contact point whereas Ivanovic's arm is slightly bent. So basically Ivanovic hits the ball closer to her body than Nadal. Also Ivanovic's forehand is very sexy whereas Nadal's is not.

I used to think strength didn't matter in tennis. To a small extent this is true in that it's better to have control over power. However, the benefits of more muscle mass go beyond just power and all the way to control.

On the pro level, a woman's forehand is pretty much identical in form to a man's forehand. Men are just bigger, stronger, and physically more robust, so naturally their game is bigger as well. I feel that is why women's tennis is so entertaining. There's more depth and variety thanks to an absence of sheer power.

^Really, even with all the baseline bashing that goes on?

There used to be an old thread comparing the backswings of men v. women
    http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=140922

I'm guessing that men can apply more power to their shots because of stronger pectoral and oblique muscles in particular, allowing better rotation and the arm (at full stretch) to be brought through the ball with a lot more power. Because of this difference, I think women use more powerful rackets with lower string tensions to aid them. Davydenko looks as if he uses a more powerful racket than most pros as well I think
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    I hate to start a battle of the sexes but men are stronger than women. It makes racquet head speed easier to generate, and keeps the racquet steadier. There's no huge difference in mechanics or the women would probably just switch to use the same ones as the men. Between Nadal and Ivanovic the most obvious difference is that Nadal's arm is fully extended at the contact point whereas Ivanovic's arm is slightly bent. So basically Ivanovic hits the ball closer to her body than Nadal. Also Ivanovic's forehand is very sexy whereas Nadal's is not.
    True, however, Nadal and Federer are two of the only players to utilize this type of forehand in the mens game. I believe Safin did as well.

Ivanovic is far from the only player to double bend. So does Djokovic, the Williamses, and virtually every russian.
    The really fundamental difference, if you ask me, is that the mens' (as well as Kuznetsova's) forehands are much more fluid. Serena, on the other hand, hits with an almost entirely fixed arm - which really is quite visually unappealing.

Well, grips are similar.
    Men tend to take more violent swings, so their balls go faster with more spin when they go for winners.
    However, normal rally ball, I'd bet most of the women hit as fast or faster than the top mens. Men use lots of topspin with some speed. Women hit much flatter with less topspin, so some speed, and sometimes more ball speed than the mens.
    As for strength. Sure, some strength is required to hit a tennis ball. You can't be completely weak and debilitated, but most normal mens have more than enough strength to hit hard and fast, with lots of topspin.
    OTOH, since most women aren't trained in ball sports, and lots haven't played such, lots of women don't have enough strength to hit hard fast balls with topspin.
    Obviously, some do, like the Henins, William's, and such.

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    ^Really, even with all the baseline bashing that goes on?

There used to be an old thread comparing the backswings of men v. women
    http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=140922
    Let me put it this way: A coach is not going to teach a woman's forehand to women and a man's forehand to men. There's only a few good techniques out there. Everybody seems to stray a little and create their own signature swing, but overall, a man and woman's forehand is similar. Lindsay Davenport is one who had the full take back and proper form.

You know it may be that alot of the women start as juniors and use flatter shots to produce power rather than the high racquet head speed that men use.
    I always hear the commentators talking about the "power game" that might be it.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    You know it may be that alot of the women start as juniors and use flatter shots to produce power rather than the high racquet head speed that men use.
    I always hear the commentators talking about the "power game" that might be it.
    The difference tends to be that women don't uncoil as hard into the shot and hit a much flatter ball. They don't drive their legs up and through the shot nearly as much unless they have a more extreme grip like Henin, Sabatini, or those who hit the heavier topspin shots. Much of this comes from less muscle mass and some from the fact that women are less prone to get away from the basics of the game than the men. To be honest though, when I used to hit with Ashley Harkleroad and Capriati down at Saddlebrook, they hit a ball that was just as hard as the men if you hit it right to them. Have no doubt about it. Most of you would be blown away by the pace that some of those girls can achieve. Mary Pierce was the same way. I assure you that they would lay waste to most men's open amateur players. Especially in straight up hitting contests such as forehand to forehand or backhand to backhand. Don't let anybody fool you. The girls can play ball.

Key is most top women can't hit as hard when forced to run. For sure, static, they can hit 100 mph forehands, as fast as or almost like their first flat serves.
    Running enables the guys to hit hard even when out into the doubles alley, while the women tend to slow down the swing, use less kinetics, and get the ball back.
    Of course, once again, the exceptions are the hard hitting Williams'es, Shara, Davenports, and those tall ostrich's who HAVE to hit a winner or they would fall down from exhaustion.
    I've hit with CeciMartinez, Pea and MarcieLouie, SusanBrown, DanaGilbert, and a few other top Open and Pro women.

I get what you guys mean, but why do the men tend to point their racquet butt at the ball and then seemingly hit it just at the last second, opposed to the women who seemingly just hit it..normally?

Sorry if its a stupid question, I haven't been able to talk to a tennis coach for a while..
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    Key is most top women can't hit as hard when forced to run. For sure, static, they can hit 100 mph forehands, as fast as or almost like their first flat serves.
    Running enables the guys to hit hard even when out into the doubles alley, while the women tend to slow down the swing, use less kinetics, and get the ball back.
    Of course, once again, the exceptions are the hard hitting Williams'es, Shara, Davenports, and those tall ostrich's who HAVE to hit a winner or they would fall down from exhaustion.
    I've hit with CeciMartinez, Pea and MarcieLouie, SusanBrown, DanaGilbert, and a few other top Open and Pro women.
    That is true. The running and violent twisting into the ball when running is what differentiates the men and the women. Now let it be known, we are in no way saying that these ladies can't rip the ball when on the run because they can, but when they get into tight spots, they tend to be more conservative than men. I tell you, Harkleroad knocked the hell out of the ball. Her issue is that she went for too much too often. No variety. That is another area where men tend to play a little differently. Especially nowadays. Tell me a Graf or Martinez slice backhand wouldn't wreak havoc on the women's tour today because noone uses it. Henin did a bit and look what it did for her. As for your question about the wrist. Most men hold a more extreme version of the semi-western grip than women and therefore are imparting more spin which needs that violent wrist snap in order to get pace and spin. Not just spin. The guys on tour hit a much more topspin oriented forehand than the women. Henin hits a pretty good heavy ball. I believe she hits the most "manlike" of all the women on the tour..........

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    The difference tends to be that women don't uncoil as hard into the shot and hit a much flatter ball. They don't drive their legs up and through the shot nearly as much unless they have a more extreme grip like Henin, Sabatini, or those who hit the heavier topspin shots. Much of this comes from less muscle mass and some from the fact that women are less prone to get away from the basics of the game than the men. To be honest though, when I used to hit with Ashley Harkleroad and Capriati down at Saddlebrook, they hit a ball that was just as hard as the men if you hit it right to them. Have no doubt about it. Most of you would be blown away by the pace that some of those girls can achieve. Mary Pierce was the same way. I assure you that they would lay waste to most men's open amateur players. Especially in straight up hitting contests such as forehand to forehand or backhand to backhand. Don't let anybody fool you. The girls can play ball.
    So they kind of stick with the technique that got them to where they are rather than switching to drive up through the shot more? Another thing is even if they do drive up through the shot they probably have less weight behind it. Unless it's Serena. I wouldn't think for a minute that I could hit as well as any of the pros though. I'm just observing and reiterating what I've heard from commentators.

But aren't you not supposed to snap your wrist when you hit?