» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 533

0 members and 533 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Winter wear for Tennis

Today, I came across a new player who came wearing a full sleeves T-shirt on top of which there was a half T-shirt and a full sleeves pullover over that. When he took off the pullover, it was looking strange. Others have half T-shirt over which there is a half sweater and then a pullover. Still others would have a full T-shirt with a pullover and a tracksuit.

Then, while watching the Australian open final, it suddenly struck that I had never ever seen any professional player in winter wear as apart from the grand slams, no other match is telecast live in India(as far as I know). It is very cold and also foggy at times here in Delhi(average 5 degree C)when goes out to play early morning(6.30-7 am) in the open courts. This may seem like a strange question but I wonder what would be the ideal dress for peak winters.

^You are from India?
    Lol, I used to live in Delhi, and Lucknow, before I came to the US.

When I used to play outdoors in November (I live in Upstate NY), I generally wore a short sleeved t-shit and a fleece.

I don't think the pros tend to wear winter gear because they probably run around so much and its so intense and physical they get warmed up naturally.

how about head gear? ears are one of the first to get cold.

High performance fleece is wonderful. Under Armour has some awesome cold weather clothing that works very well. Remember though, the big training areas for tennis are in Florida, USA and it never really gets cold there at all. The tournaments are always in temperate areas where it doesn't get ridiculously hot or cold. Australia sees some heat, but check out how hot it gets in Florida during the summer. I have seen temperaturs of 133 degrees fahrenheit on the hard courts there. It is like being in the desert but with alot of humidity........

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    High performance fleece is wonderful. Under Armour has some awesome cold weather clothing that works very well. Remember though, the big training areas for tennis are in Florida, USA and it never really gets cold there at all. The tournaments are always in temperate areas where it doesn't get ridiculously hot or cold. Australia sees some heat, but check out how hot it gets in Florida during the summer. I have seen temperaturs of 133 degrees fahrenheit on the hard courts there. It is like being in the desert but with alot of humidity........
    totally agree, 80 degrees with high humidity feels hotter than the desert dry days at 100+.

Thanks everybody. I was wondering whether this is a relevant question. I have learnt quite a bit.

03White, nice to know that you are familiar with Delhi. We must meet if you visit again. Actually, I was referring to peak winters(Dec20-Feb20) when the minimum temperature can even be below 5 degree C. My club is only a 10 minute brisk walk from my place and I go on a cycle. Since we normally wear woolen clothes, I was not really familiar with the term "fleece". On googling for the same, I learnt that "Fleece is a woolen-type fabric made from synthetic fibers, usually 100 percent polyester, although it can also be combined with natural fibers such as wool and cotton or other man-made materials including spandex or rayon." I asked my wife and she showed me something which hardly seems warm. In case you are aware, is there an Indian term for the word fleece? Do let me know if you know. For woolen clothes, one is supposed to wear four layers(undershirt, shirt, pullover and tracksuit jacket) for extreme cold but for playing, one cannot be comfortable with more than two or at the most three before warming up. I suppose with your high quality fleece, one half T-shirt with a fleece can be good even for peak winters( 5 degree C)

As Tennisking has replied, I thought tournaments are probably so organized that weather is most conducive.. Lawn Tennis has also rightly commented about head gear as 75% of body heat is supposed to escape from the head. Many people here use the woolen cap and cover their ears. I use a normal cap and cover my ears with plugs and take off the plugs after the warm up and before the set.

Nice to learn more than Tennis. In my forty five years of life, I had never ever come across the word "fleece"

Quote Originally Posted by Hiren View Post
    Thanks everybody. I was wondering whether this is a relevant question. I have learnt quite a bit.

03White, nice to know that you are familiar with Delhi. We must meet if you visit again. Actually, I was referring to peak winters(Dec20-Feb20) when the minimum temperature can even be below 5 degree C. My club is only a 10 minute brisk walk from my place and I go on a cycle. Since we normally wear woolen clothes, I was not really familiar with the term "fleece". On googling for the same, I learnt that "Fleece is a woolen-type fabric made from synthetic fibers, usually 100 percent polyester, although it can also be combined with natural fibers such as wool and cotton or other man-made materials including spandex or rayon." I asked my wife and she showed me something which hardly seems warm. In case you are aware, is there an Indian term for the word fleece? Do let me know if you know. For woolen clothes, one is supposed to wear four layers(undershirt, shirt, pullover and tracksuit jacket) for extreme cold but for playing, one cannot be comfortable with more than two or at the most three before warming up. I suppose with your high quality fleece, one half T-shirt with a fleece can be good even for peak winters( 5 degree C)

As Tennisking has replied, I thought tournaments are probably so organized that weather is most conducive.. Lawn Tennis has also rightly commented about head gear as 75% of body heat is supposed to escape from the head. Many people here use the woolen cap and cover their ears. I use a normal cap and cover my ears with plugs and take off the plugs after the warm up and before the set.

Nice to learn more than Tennis. In my forty five years of life, I had never ever come across the word "fleece"
    Go to "SierraTradingPost.com" and click on men's apparel. Then look for high performance fleece. It is very warm and does not itch at all. Very soft and plush. The thin fleece is obviously not as warm as the heavy fleece, but you can layer it. Works great when skiing. You can get them as full zip up jackets or half zip pullovers. Check out that website. They have phenomenal stuff for everything outdoors......

Short sleeve T shirt over a contrasting colored long sleeve T shirt is the SNOWBOARDER look, something past tense by about 7 years.
    How about warmup pants, jacket, skull cap, and 2 pairs of socks?

Thanks everybody. I checked out here but it seems too soft and as Tennisking said, one has to layer it as it is not as warm as wool. We use the word synthetic more often.

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    ^You are from India?
    Lol, I used to live in Delhi, and Lucknow, before I came to the US.

When I used to play outdoors in November (I live in Upstate NY), I generally wore a short sleeved t-shit and a fleece.

I don't think the pros tend to wear winter gear because they probably run around so much and its so intense and physical they get warmed up naturally.
    Don't the pros play all their tournaments in summer (for whichever country their in)?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    Short sleeve T shirt over a contrasting colored long sleeve T shirt is the SNOWBOARDER look, something past tense by about 7 years.
    How about warmup pants, jacket, skull cap, and 2 pairs of socks?
    ????????????? Huh? The heavyweight fleece is ultra warm and really has no certain sport look to it. It is more of a heavy warm-up. Under Armour is making them.........

I didn't mention a word about fleece. Why me?
    OTOH, in my car right now, there's a pair of medium weight fleece pants, and over 7 fleece jackets, from medium to heavy, NONE of which I wear for tennis after the initial 5 minutes of hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    I didn't mention a word about fleece. Why me?
    OTOH, in my car right now, there's a pair of medium weight fleece pants, and over 7 fleece jackets, from medium to heavy, NONE of which I wear for tennis after the initial 5 minutes of hitting.
    Oh sorry. Hiren was asking about winter gear for times when it was around freezing and below. You had mentioned the snowboarder thing and Sierra Trading Post is a great place for snowboarding enthusiasts, but the fleece they sell is AWESOME! Regardless of the sport. I thought that would at least be a good starting point for such cold weather. I am surprised that the companies aren't making the high performance heavy weight fleece as it is comfortable and stylish, and it would especially be so with some Adidas or Nike style added to it. The cold weather gear from Under Armour is very, very impressive, but I have to wear Adidas clothing due to sponsorship reasons now and I have been freezing my arse off because they don't make anything that actually keeps you really warm. I can't understand it. I have been thinking about buying some Adidas patches and sewing them over the Under Armour logo so I can actually work in those warm clothes.......