» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 642

0 members and 642 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

*** US Open Chatter ***

Hey does anybody happen to know that in Flushing Meadows NY there's this Tournament going on that only happens once a year that btw is one of the four major Grand Slams? I don't know maybe I'm wrong but by the show of excitement on this Forum, you'd never know it. Does anybody at all want to talk about what's happening there? Like for instance Serena & Venus Williams played a Quarter Finals Match this evening followed by Rafa Nadal & Mardy Fish.

In case no one knows, Rafa Nadal, I believe is the #1 Player in the World at this moment, unless I have him confused with someone else. Then there's this other guy name Roger Federer who is by many people's standard really and truly the #1 Player in the World who lost his mojo this year due to an internal illness that zapped him of much needed energy in crucial moments during crucial matches like that other one called the French Open and the one that has all that grass, I seem to have forgotten the name.

Tomorrow Andy Roddick will do battle against the #3 Player in the World Novak Djokovic which promises to be a high quality match which I'm hoping Joko prevails but it's really only a personal thing because I'm not much of a Roddick Fan. Adn since nobody will probably read this, I'll go ahead and say it, I don't like Roddick and I cheer for anyone who plays against him.

Oh well if anyone at all thinks they have some insight on what's to come at that NY Tournament, I'll be more than happy to talk about it with you.

Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Congrats to Serena for winning the US Open. Serena will be number one again, I think she will hold it for a while, but Serena won't be as dominant as she used to be. It's not that Serena is getting worse; it's everyone else getting better and catching up to the Williams Sisters.

Congrats to Roger Federer for winning the men's U.S. Open championship.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreatheart View Post
    Congrats to Roger Federer for winning the men's U.S. Open championship.
    As much as I like Federer's accomplishments, I'm somewhat amazed at how seemingly easy Andy dispatched Rafa and yet had nothing going against Roger even while RF was trying to give him the Match with all the unforced errors he committed. Again, if he has a stable Coach, he needs to fire them immediately if they aren't able to provide a better net & approach game for him. John McEnroe said it best, "Roger looks like a deer in the headlights when he's at the net". John is extremely passionate about Net play given he made his millions no more than 3ft from it. For someone of the caliber as Roger Federer, far too many volley errors for no other reason than him lacking correct technique.

I guess we know now that had the ball been called out at the baseline or Andy challenged the no-call, who knows what could have happened as a result given that was break-point in Murray's favor.

I was completely disappointed in Jelena's play for her first finals. Maybe at the end of the day, she wouldn't have beaten Serena but again the errors she committed were more from lack of concentration and possible nerves than what Serena was feeding her in some situations.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Arrow I am surprised..............

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    As much as I like Federer's accomplishments, I'm somewhat amazed at how seemingly easy Andy dispatched Rafa and yet had nothing going against Roger even while RF was trying to give him the Match with all the unforced errors he committed.
    Coach, I am surprised to hear you say that when Rafa was in trouble from the first match with Bjorn Phau. Phau pushed Rafa in 3 very close sets and had opportunities but choked. Rafa then had easier times against DeHeart and Triocki, but Querry won the first set easily and exposed Rafa's weakness on fast HC. He also had chances to go up 2 sets to 1 in the 3rd and choked it away. The same thing happened in the next round against Fish.

By the time Nads faced Murray he had already run a complete marathon; tank empty. Murray was tested by Del Potro but I think this match prepared him for Nads as Nads balls continually landed very short and sat up(his weakness on a truely fast court) and was lunch for Murray. Murray also learned from the last time they played and had Rafa running even more than normal from further back; on fumes (high looping balls, ending in a short ball from Nads). Murray was rarely out of control!

I guess we know now that had the ball been called out at the baseline or Andy challenged the no-call, who knows what could have happened as a result given that was break-point in Murray's favor.
    Probably would have gone 4 with the same results or tie breaker with the same results. Murray was tired after Del Potro, Nadal, 3 straight days of playing and making his first GS final (first thing to go when nervous is the serve); no pressure. Federer was rested but also had a demon inside to save his year and quiet the nay-sayers. So we saw flashes of the Great One and the Fed of 08 mixed together.

I was completely disappointed in Jelena's play for her first finals. Maybe at the end of the day, she wouldn't have beaten Serena but again the errors she committed were more from lack of concentration and possible nerves than what Serena was feeding her in some situations.
    Same as above for Murray, first GS final and playing outside of her comfort zone in trying to play agressive.

Cheers, TennezSport
    Last edited by TennezSport; 09-11-2008 at 09:41 AM.