» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 475

0 members and 475 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

is this really the standard of highschool tennis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I1rt5ud0Ro
    woww, i thought it would have been better.

Yeah..........

That is pretty sad and that sort of practice does not realy help the students develop at all. Oh well.........

Cheers, TennezSport
    USRSA-MRT; USPTA; USTA
    Yonex RDS002 Tour w/ Tecnifibre X1 Biphase 17 @ 60/57

ha i used to do that when i was like 5 for fun

Quote Originally Posted by aliciasace View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I1rt5ud0Ro
    woww, i thought it would have been better.
    During the Summer I will get someone to video my Kids and I'd like to see what you think about it then. Based upon what I witnessed although I didn't have any audio, that did not appear to be a serious Drill. Our curriculum starts every session with 5 mins. of lower body stretching then onto a 805 to 1609 meter jog around the Track, followed by another 5 mins of upper body stretching before one racquet is taken in hand. Depending on the time allowed, my kids will then have approx. 15 mins of footwork drilling, which is basically running in & around cones on the court, forward & backward & abrupt stopping to lateral movements. Then we end with an exercise of stationary jumping.

We stress the importance of good exercise & warm-up prior to practice. I would never allow anyone to stand flat footed prior to or during any part of play which includes serving. When the kids are playing, we walk around constantly telling them their footwork must look like they're dancing the Foxtrot (whatever that is).

Feet are constantly moving, lively, alert & bouncy. Actually I might be giving away the identity of these kids but they refer to themselves as the Cat Club.

Short Answer: Not where I come from.

Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Ahh cool. So the kids you teach are pretty good? I searched all the way round youtube and couldnt find one gd hs player.

Talking What part of town

When i lived in San Diego Ca. The high school team at CORANADO (WHICH IS AFFLUENT) had a good standard of tennis. When they played teams from other areas that had not much exposure to tennis the other teams were not much to see.
    Is it coaching? lack of interest of the kids ? cultures were there is a low % of tennis participation?
    I do know that if i returned the same conditions more than likely have not changed

Hare - If you're in San Diego, next time you're up in the Newport/Huntington Beach area, check out how those kids are banging the ball. I'm sure you'll be impressed .. it's really about the money the School Districts puts into their programs.

The County I work in has a pretty healthy bank account but still not as healthy as Orange County. You want to see some good High School Players, maybe we should start a list from our members on the yeahs & nays around the Country?

I'd be interested in seeing what we all think of our future League of Sampras & Agassi hopefuls. Lastly, you can get a list of good Tennis programs on the USTA Website.

Aliciasace - I'd like to think so but they have been beaten at times they were certain they could not. When you assemble a group of HS kids together, you're gonna get a mixture of some that have Wimbledon dreams in their head and most who chose tennis over swimming..

Remember YouTube tends to emphasis the unusual for shock and/or amusement value.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Yes, that is a standard if you think about small highschools where tennis is not popular, and actual coaching does not exist, and sports is not a requirement the previous 6 years.
    My city, SanFrancisco, had 8 highschools with a student body of maybe 4,000 in EACH. Football was #1 of course, followed by basketball.
    Those vids pretty much showed the AVERAGE high school player, not necessarily the best.
    The best two in 1978 here was one PeanutLouie, who WON the CanadianOpen two years later, and one RollieZalameda, who was already a Men's Open player and upon graduation, was immediately #2 for CanadaCollege down south.
    Following year, #1 high schooler was MichaelGee, still a 5.5 player NOW as 45 year old.

It is quite tragic. Especially looking at that video I worry about the junior services.
    I certainly expected more.
    I guess you can't take it one too hard on them.
    Maybe it was just a bad day.
    Hope the coming ones are better.

It is really sad! Maybe someday we will find some better hs tennis players

This isn't too bad:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeN2b...eature=related

The shots and responds are good.

haha yeh thats a lot better.

below average players probly, its not sad most hadnt picked up a racket b4 joining the team a few years ago. my team would kill them though

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Hare - If you're in San Diego, next time you're up in the Newport/Huntington Beach area, check out how those kids are banging the ball. I'm sure you'll be impressed .. it's really about the money the School Districts puts into their programs.

The County I work in has a pretty healthy bank account but still not as healthy as Orange County. You want to see some good High School Players, maybe we should start a list from our members on the yeahs & nays around the Country?

I'd be interested in seeing what we all think of our future League of Sampras & Agassi hopefuls. Lastly, you can get a list of good Tennis programs on the USTA Website.

Aliciasace - I'd like to think so but they have been beaten at times they were certain they could not. When you assemble a group of HS kids together, you're gonna get a mixture of some that have Wimbledon dreams in their head and most who chose tennis over swimming..

Remember YouTube tends to emphasis the unusual for shock and/or amusement value.
    When I was coaching at Saddlebrook, we had around 90 year round players from around the world training and going to school there. I took the guys school team to play another private school. We were pre-season #1 in the state of Florida and rightfully so. The number 1 player was #3 in the world in the ITF junior rankings. The other 5 players were top 100 in the world. So, what happened when I took them to play this private school? My group of world ranked juniors got their a--es handed to them on a platter. They had talked smack all the way to the courts and then lost. The #3 ITF junior won his match, but not easily. They were utterly embarrassed and didn't lose another match for the rest of the year, but they limped home with tails between their legs after that one match. Never under estimate anyone. It can make for a painful loss when you do.